Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

sp00k wrote: »
    Dr. Anthony Fauci on the Late Late tomorrow night. I wonder will Tubridy question him about the virus, or make him list the things he loves about Ireland and give him a GAA jersey. I'm thinking the latter.

So the Oireachtas gets in some nutty professors and Turbidy gets Fauci.

Make sense.

There is no chance of pubs/restaurants opening in next 6 weeks. Numbers will still be increasing by the time they need to make a decision in two weeks.

There is a 29 year old in an ICU in Dublin with no underlying conditions which really sharpened minds in NPHET leading to these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Places like Bulgaria and Austria have been filling stadiums indoor and outdoor the last few weeks. Great to see. Anyone have the covid numbers for those countries?

https://twitter.com/101ULTRAS/status/1308843385256632321?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

There is no chance of pubs/restaurants opening in next 6 weeks. Numbers will still be increasing by the time they need to make a decision in two weeks.

There is a 29 year old in an ICU in Dublin with no underlying conditions which really sharpened minds in NPHET leading to these restrictions.

See, if I was between 15-24 (the age group they are specifically targeting with the "young people" soundbites) I'd want to know more. Is the 29 year old a health care worker, and therefore got a really high viral load, hence why he/she is in ICU?

If they followed up with the phrase "we don't know where the individual caught the infection, he/she is not in a high risk job, and they have confirmed they were not particularly restricting their movements in the two weeks before symptoms showed up". Now THAT would put the fear into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was this published somewhere? I'm not snidely saying "SOURCE!?" or anything – just wondering if it was in a paper/online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

US2 wrote: »
    Places like Bulgaria and Austria have been filling stadiums indoor and outdoor the last few weeks. Great to see. Anyone have the covid numbers for those countries?

Bulgaria and Austria implemented a “living” with covid realistic plan. Ireland’s is “turn into a hermit” with covid plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I don't think any major changes today. Perhaps a risk of a few regional counties going to level 3 but i think they will leave it as is for time being as no deterioration in last 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't think any major changes today. Perhaps a risk of a few regional counties going to level 3 but i think they will leave it as is for time being as no deterioration in last 7 days.

Cases and hospitalisations have been going up?

Austria over 8000 active cases
    Bulgaria over 4600 active cases
    Ireland over 7800 active cases

Cases and hospitalisations have been going up?

Hardly surprsing?! there is like a 2-3 week lag from infection to hospitalisation. So going for harder measures now when no idea if other measures are having an impact would be plain stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was this published somewhere? I'm not snidely saying "SOURCE!?" or anything – just wondering if it was in a paper/online?

No NPHET would never release information that specific, even yesterday they just said there are 7 people under 45 in ICU and refused to comment further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Austria over 8000 active cases
    Bulgaria over 4600 active cases
    Ireland over 7800 active cases

They don't look great really when looking at new cases (for whatever that is worth).

Austria 7 day average cases peaked at 754 per day at the end of March. Their current 7 day average new cases is at 714.

Bulgaria curve looks weird, they do not show much of a peak early in the year but their new cases average peaked at 244 in July, it is now at 136.

Ireland by comparis peaked at 955 average new cases in mid April, currently running at 268.

I can't really give away more due to right of privacy etc but it is a truly sad/worrying case.

Whether you feel it necessitated a closure of the pubs. I don't know. We won't find out if it was the right move until after the winter realistically.

I can't really give away more due to right of privacy etc but it is a truly sad/worrying case.

Whether you feel it necessitated a closure of the pubs. I don't know. We won't find out if it was the right move until after the winter realistically.

You are suggesting that NPHET are basing country wide advice on one person in ICU?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stheno wrote: »
    No NPHET would never release information that specific, even yesterday they just said there are 7 people under 45 in ICU and refused to comment further
    7/16 under 45 in ICU is high. Is this standard?

I suppose it would tally with the higher case rate among under 45s a few weeks back when the current ICU patients would have become infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

How much detail do people want though ? I mean FFS its almost getting to the point where, if it suits your argument, someone will say "joe caught it because it he pushed the lift button with his left hand and then picked his nose, but most people are right handed so that would never happen to me, open up the pubs"

And as for this craic about the government not having a clue - what government does have a clue at this point ? Its a completely new virus. No two countries can really be compared like for like for a million reasons. You have some countries where a rule is brought in and people try to comply, and some like Ireland where a rule comes in, and our first thought is how to get round it.
    Why would government or NPHET or anyone, actually WANT to crash an economy ? Do people not even think it through when they're whining about NPHET this or NPHET that or the government want to control us ? Get a grip.

I appreciate people are sick and tired of the whole thing, and there's untold adverse consequences, financial, mental health, societal etc., but this is probably a one in a hundred year event. No one is being asked to storm the beaches at Normandy or go over the top at the Somme. All we're really being asked to do is take things easy for a few months.

Rant over. Apologies, I don't often post here, Mark Twain was probably right after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just read this and it's fairly thought provoking. As MM and SD do their hide and seek game. Some leaders get on with leading.

Didn't really know much about Ghana but they've done remarkably well covid wise.
    The article is a little terse but the most points are valid.

https://medium.com/indica/covid-underdogs-ghana-b77ca29192a7
    During a pandemic, a leader has one job. They just need to marshal public support for public health. Public health tools are all we have, but they don’t work without public support. Contact tracers can’t trace, quarantine centers can’t quarantine, social distancing doesn’t happen. Without leadership, things fall apart.

Most importantly, they communicated all of this clearly to the public. While western leaders were walking WhatsApp forwards, Akufo-Addo just took the standard scientific information and communicated it well. That’s literally all you have to do, listen to the scientists, get them what they need, and tell people WTF is going on

Another thing that Akufo-Addo constantly repeats is the plan. Everything he says connects to five simple points.
    As I have said before, all that Government is doing is intended to achieve five key objectives —
    1. limit and stop the importation of the virus;
    2. contain its spread;
    3. provide adequate care for the sick;
    4. limit the impact of the virus on social and economic life;
    5. inspire the expansion of our domestic capability and deepen our self-reliance.

Have a listen for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

From the dashboard, 2 discharges and 1 admission to ICU over past 24 hours. 16 in ICU. Pretty stable over last few days.

Russman wrote: »
    How much detail do people want though ? I mean FFS its almost getting to the point where, if it suits your argument, someone will say "joe caught it because it he pushed the lift button with his left hand and then picked his nose, but most people are right handed so that would never happen to me, open up the pubs"

And as for this craic about the government not having a clue - what government does have a clue at this point ? Its a completely new virus. No two countries can really be compared like for like for a million reasons. You have some countries where a rule is brought in and people try to comply, and some like Ireland where a rule comes in, and our first thought is how to get round it.
    Why would government or NPHET or anyone, actually WANT to crash an economy ? Do people not even think it through when they're whining about NPHET this or NPHET that or the government want to control us ? Get a grip.

I appreciate people are sick and tired of the whole thing, and there's untold adverse consequences, financial, mental health, societal etc., but this is probably a one in a hundred year event. No one is being asked to storm the beaches at Normandy or go over the top at the Somme. All we're really being asked to do is take things easy for a few months.

Rant over. Apologies, I don't often post here, Mark Twain was probably right after all :)

Its almost into month 8 now. They specifically mentioned the next 9 months in their new plan.

It is going to 1.5 years at a minimum.

Staying home and taking things easy would be lovely if the bank and a number of service providers weren't hounding us for monthly payments.

But we all still need to pay our bills. Which means taking it easy is not really an option.

marno21 wrote: »
    7/16 under 45 in ICU is high. Is this standard?

I suppose it would tally with the higher case rate among under 45s a few weeks back when the current ICU patients would have become infected.

7 out of 28. The last 28 in ICU.

If it were 7 out of 16 I'f be wearing 3 masks.

• Advertisement

From the dashboard, 2 discharges and 1 admission to ICU over past 24 hours. 16 in ICU. Pretty stable over last few days.

My dashboard shows it was last updated yesterday.

The Ops update last night showed hospital numbers decreased by 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Listening to the Pat Kenny show yesterday morning don't think it was mentioned here.

But workers in hospitals were only advised this week that masks are now mandatory in all public areas, previously the guidance was specifically where social distancing is not maintained.

A bit mad considering I haven't been able to buy petrol without wearing a mask since August 10th.

Listening to the Pat Kenny show yesterday morning don't think it was mentioned here.

But workers in hospitals were only advised this week that masks are now mandatory in all public areas, previously the guidance was specifically where social distancing is not maintained.

A bit mad considering I haven't been able to buy petrol without wearing a mask since August 10th.

It wasn't even mandatory when actually engaging with a patient until well into the pandemic.

Sure the HSE didn't become "fit for purpose" over night I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Where's that poster that said this doesn't infect young people and we should go the herd immunity route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

My dashboard shows it was last updated yesterday.

The Ops update last night showed hospital numbers decreased by 6.

In the ICU section, the dashboard says "date last updated = 24/09/2020". The ICU data is as at 11.00 am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Worldometers has all the figures. Bulgaria is at a plateau and Austria has had an upward surge since 8th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Where's that poster that said this doesn't infect young people and we should go the herd immunity route?

Outstanding in his/her field, with cows.

You do realise that young healthy people enter ICU / die of the normal winter Flu also?

It is extremely sad and pure bad luck but it is an absolute minuscule minority of cases.

Life can be a terrible thing and you can be struck down by the most innocuous and unfortunate unlikely thing- you cannot base national or regional healthy policy on such an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thats 1 person ffs. if its even true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Keeping things closed in Dublin was a bad idea. It made massive numbers leave the capital and then cases outside the capital are rising.

Not a smart move.

We need to be smarter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement