Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Its almost into month 8 now. They specifically mentioned the next 9 months in their new plan.

It is going to 1.5 years at a minimum.

Staying home and taking things easy would be lovely if the bank and a number of service providers weren't hounding us for monthly payments.

But we all still need to pay our bills. Which means taking it easy is not really an option.

You’re dead right, I totally get that. By taking it easy I was referring to the outside of work activities and social interactions. Nobody “needs” to have 20 people round for beers or “needs” to go to the pub in the short term. I get that the hospitality sector is decimated, and for the huge numbers employed in it it’s a disaster, but just because we don’t like that fact doesn’t mean we can avoid it. Simple fact is that we have to pick and choose what aspects of our lives get to carry on and what ones must change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think any major changes today. Perhaps a risk of a few regional counties going to level 3 but i think they will leave it as is for time being as no deterioration in last 7 days.

And a few counties (not sure what regional refers to) going to level 3 isn't major? Do only changes in Dublin count?

There most certainly has been a deterioration in the past week.

Not sure if this was posted.

Seems dogs are rather good at detecting the virus. Rolling them out at Helsinki airport.

:eek:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1308724533415772160?s=20

Whats the sensitivity and specificity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Ireland over 7800 active cases

We don't have anything close to 7800 active cases. We have around 3000 active cases. Cases confirmed in last 14 days is how the CMO defines active cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Keeping things closed in Dublin was a bad idea. It made massive numbers leave the capital and then cases outside the capital are rising.

Not a smart move.

We need to be smarter.

Yea i know lots of people who were working from home in Dublin apartments who left to their holiday homes/ relatives/ family house last Friday as they did not know how draconian the lockdown would be or how long it would last.

Very shortsighted blinkered decisions by the NPHET cabal as usual.

• Advertisement

Austria over 8000 active cases
    Bulgaria over 4600 active cases
    Ireland over 7800 active cases

There is no accurate measure of Active cases anywhere. According to worldometers no one here has recovered from Covid since June

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And a few counties (not sure what regional refers to) going to level 3 isn't major? Do only changes in Dublin count?

There most certainly has been a deterioration in the past week.

Yeah apologies, i guess i meant to say the very worrying rate of increase in cases both in Dublin and nationally has began to pare back.

Cases are still rising but not at the worrying slope of last week. Kindest regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

From the dashboard, 2 discharges and 1 admission to ICU over past 24 hours. 16 in ICU. Pretty stable over last few days.

It's been stable for over 3 months now. In a country of 5 million people an increase of 10 people in ICU over that period is tiny and absolutely stable. It may not stay that way but as of today it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

You do realise that young healthy people enter ICU / die of the normal winter Flu also?

It is extremely sad and pure bad luck but it is an absolute minuscule minority of cases.

Life can be a terrible thing and you can be struck down by the most innocuous and unfortunate unlikely thing- you cannot base national or regional healthy policy on such an outlier.

What has the flu got to do with a 29 year old in ICU with covid. We have a vaccine for the flu.

What is an outlier to you? There has been more young people in ICU with covid. But you just like to label things as an outlier and ignore the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Where's that poster that said this doesn't infect young people and we should go the herd immunity route?

Probably still thinking the same because one poster talking crap with no proof on a forum is hardly going to change their mind.

• Advertisement

Probably still thinking the same because one poster talking crap with no proof on a forum is hardly going to change their mind.

Who's the person talking crap?

We don't have anything close to 7800 active cases. We have around 3000 active cases. Cases confirmed in last 14 days is how the CMO defines active cases.

I googled “Ireland Coronavirus” and google gave me this on main page.

31158778-6-A74-4-BDE-8-FB4-ADFDF66-E8-F9-E.png

Then I used my abacus.

Who's the person talking crap?

The one you quoted

What has the flu got to do with a 29 year old in ICU with covid. We have a vaccine for the flu.

What is an outlier to you? There has been more young people in ICU with covid. But you just like to label things as an outlier and ignore the facts.

What now? I am saying every year, young seemingly healthy people die from the 'normal flu'.

Vaccine? Usually young people dont take the vaccine and usually it only covers 2 or 3 strains accounting for about 60% of the flu virus in circulation.

Just because one person got bad bad luck doesn't mean you make up national healthy policy over it.

If this was the case every doctor in this state should be struck off the registrar because people will always have bad luck and die or get badly sick out of the blue.

I googled “Ireland Coronavirus” and google gave me this on main page.

31158778-6-A74-4-BDE-8-FB4-ADFDF66-E8-F9-E.png

Then I used my abacus.

There are no recovered Covid numbers for Ireland regardless of what worldometers or Goole report

There are no recovered Covid numbers for Ireland regardless of what worldometers or Goole report

It’s mad they don’t have a database of those that have recovered. Surely not everyone either does or recovers within 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Keeping things closed in Dublin was a bad idea. It made massive numbers leave the capital and then cases outside the capital are rising.

Not a smart move.

We need to be smarter.
    Yea i know lots of people who were working from home in Dublin apartments who left to their holiday homes/ relatives/ family house last Friday as they did not know how draconian the lockdown would be or how long it would last.

Very shortsighted blinkered decisions by the NPHET cabal as usual.

So now the dubs have a super strain that's caused other counties to become infected, symptomatic, referred, tested, diagnosed and recorded in 4 days.........

Good.

What now? I am saying every year, young seemingly healthy people die from the 'normal flu'.

Vaccine? Usually young people dont take the vaccine and usually it only covers 2 or 3 strains accounting for about 60% of the flu virus in circulation.

Just because one person got bad bad luck doesn't mean you make up national healthy policy over it.

If this was the case every doctor in this state should be struck off the registrar because people will always have bad luck and die or get badly sick out of the blue.

Thing is it's not just one person. There has been more young people in ICU. But continue on ignoring if it makes you feel good.

The one you quoted

That poster doesn't ignore how serious this is.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So now the dubs have a super strain that's caused other counties to become infected, symptomatic, referred, tested, diagnosed and recorded in 4 days.........

Good.

Fairs fair on this point. But we will see result in weeks time i guess, so i reserve judgement.

I just fear that this is what will happen. Kindest regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Thing is it's not just one person. There has been more young people in ICU. But continue on ignoring if it makes you feel good.

Go on then, tell us all where and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Since Saturday?

Are NCT centres open at level 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is no chance of pubs/restaurants opening in next 6 weeks. Numbers will still be increasing by the time they need to make a decision in two weeks.

There is a 29 year old in an ICU in Dublin with no underlying conditions which really sharpened minds in NPHET leading to these restrictions.

Sorry, 6 months into this thing and 1 case sharpened minds? I know its very sad, but they should not be in any way influenced by one case. Utter lunacy, but I suppose this is a group of people completely unaffected by the outcomes of the decisions they make.

Go on then, tell us all where and when.

It doesn't suit what you think and you want proof? What a way to ignore things. Only a few weeks ago they had some young lad on an rte program who was in ICU and couldn't even go to his mother's funeral.

When all this was starting there was another young fella in Cork who rang home to tell his family that they are putting him on a ventilator. He didn't know if he would wake up or not and see his family again.

But sure ignore all that. It doesn't suit what you think.

It doesn't suit what you think and you want proof? What a way to ignore things. Only a few weeks ago they had some young lad on an rte program who was in ICU and couldn't even go to his mother's funeral.

When all this was starting there was another young fella in Cork who rang home to tell his family that they are putting him on a ventilator. He didn't know if he would wake up or not and see his family again.

If you’re saying something with such certainty it should be easy for you to provide proof. Are you the same fella who was wondering how you could eat lunch in work with a mask on a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Come on AWTF one cannot base public health decisions on single cases. Hell there are people ending up in ICU over peanut allergies.

Is it that now when publicly available data clearly indicates that this virus is not remotely as serious as was initially assumed we have to come up with single case scare stories to keep public opinion in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Where are you getting this possibility if numbers stabilising? And the numbers need to come down considerably, not hold at current levels. The R0 is just too high.

Few posters on here had it that Philip Nolan said there was a possibility that numbers were stabilizing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It’s mad they don’t have a database of those that have recovered. Surely not everyone either does or recovers within 14 days?
    Have to focus resources where they're needed tbh rather than following up with a phone call for every confirmed case.

Should be pretty straightforward though to give a decent estimate.

Take the total number of cases, subtract everyone who tested positive in the previous 14 days, subtract the number of deaths, subtract the number of people in hospital, and you have a decent estimate of the number of recoveries (and active cases). There'll be some double-counting of people who tested postive AND got admitted to hospital in the last 14 days, but you're talking about a margin of error in the single digit %.

Edit: The current number is about 6,900 "active cases". That is, people who have been diagnosed in the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What were ICU departments used for before Covid I wonder?

It seems they never treated sick people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement