Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It doesn't suit what you think and you want proof? What a way to ignore things. Only a few weeks ago they had some young lad on an rte program who was in ICU and couldn't even go to his mother's funeral.

When all this was starting there was another young fella in Cork who rang home to tell his family that they are putting him on a ventilator. He didn't know if he would wake up or not and see his family again.

But sure ignore all that. It doesn't suit what you think.

Yes if I have to be restricted and on lock down I do want proof, damn right I do. 2 sick teenagers!!! Seriously, how many more have scoliosis, cancer, depression etc etc etc. Username very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

And you also ignored what I wrote. I gave my reasons to why we can't go the herd immunity route. This is affecting people of all ages and in so many ways. But continue on to ignore.

I never mentioned herd immunity now or yesterday when I asked you a question. You blankly refused to answer what was asked despite posting a link.
    You are correct it does affect all ages. However it's the elderly and vulnerable who are most at risk. That's a fact and none of your nonsense about ignoring stuff changes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

The link between vitamin D levels/telomere lengths and susceptibility is out there with homeopathy. I can't divulge any specific information about the patient but blood work would be carried out on every in-patient.

Vitamin D levels tie into our immune system but I see no evidence so far that it prevents people getting COVID.

Fair enough. You mention susceptibility but what about on severity?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I never mentioned herd immunity now or yesterday when I asked you a question. You blankly refused to answer what was asked despite posting a link.
    You are correct it does affect all ages. However it's the elderly and vulnerable who are most at risk. That's a fact and none of your nonsense about ignoring stuff changes it.

Stop ignoring the fact that your clearly ignoring stuff. Can you not see how ignorant that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The link between vitamin D levels/telomere lengths and susceptibility is out there with homeopathy. I can't divulge any specific information about the patient but blood work would be carried out on every in-patient.

Vitamin D levels tie into our immune system but I see no evidence so far that it prevents people getting COVID.

I don't think anybody is claiming Vit D prevents covid. There are many (experts) claiming that it lessens the impact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes if I have to be restricted and on lock down I do want proof, damn right I do. 2 sick teenagers!!! Seriously, how many more have scoliosis, cancer, depression etc etc etc. Username very accurate.

I have no control over the restrictions. Don't be blaming me what's in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

majcos wrote: »
    Demographic details on confirmed cases in two weeks between 08/09 and 21/09.

(Tried to embed photo but couldn’t figure out how to do it. Hope attached image accessible.)

Really interesting to see that..so only 3.27% of confirmed cases were hospitalised and 0.45% of confirmed cases ended up in ICU. CFR would be 20% of that based on previous ICU stats in Ireland which would give CFR of 0.1% say. Crude calcs but accurate?! Seems remarkably low and lower than I had thought even.

If I see another report quoting 15% and 5% from RTE.

Obviously may increase as the virus takes it course on that 2 weeks of confirmed cases but still...also they are only confirmed. I am sure there are still a lot more out there we are missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

We don't have a vaccine, we are all at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I wonder if the dogs caught it, would they be smelling Covid everywhere with it in their own nose? The whole place shut down.

The opposite, they would lose their sense of taste and smell!

Every day of our lives we manage risk. Some risks are deemed acceptable, some necessary, some are mitigated and some are eliminated. The one certainty is a level risk will always be tolerated. The alternative is not to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I have no control over the restrictions. Don't be blaming me what's in the news.

Lol.

Record numbers in Netherlands and Poland. As much as I'd like to go to a pub. I think that this restricted lockdown has a high probability of been the right approach.

Nope, some are not all.

Oh FFS here we go again.

At risk of what? double lung transplant? Diabetes? ICU?

No not true we are no ALL at risk.

Your posts are among the most negative, unsubstantiated, at times idiotic and irritating on boards that is some accomplishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Chief Executive of the Health Service Executive Paul Reid has said there is an increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases and for the seven days up to 22 September there was 1,930 cases notified, 32% up on the previous week with 1,470
    He also said the increase in the number of people being admitted to hospital due to the coronavirus is a growing concern, with 52% of cases in people aged under 65.

Considering the vast vast majority of the population are under 65 I don't think the bould McNamara will be getting his wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Record numbers in Netherlands and Poland. As much as I'd like to go to a pub. I think that this restricted lockdown has a high probability of been the right approach.

No deaths coming through though - 'second wave' started over 2 months ago.

527295.JPG

527296.JPG

Boggles wrote: »
    Considering the vast vast majority of the population are under 65 I don't think the bould McNamara will be getting his wish.

Just for clarity - the 52% is 57 hospitalisations from 3028 cases in under 65's. 341 cases in over 65's have 53 hospitalisations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

527295.JPG

527296.JPG

Give it time, winter hasn't even started yet and we're in for a long one here in Europe.

Just for clarity - the 52% is 57 hospitalisations from 3028 cases in under 65's. 341 cases in over 65's have 53 hospitalisations

I don't think that brings clarity to my point at all.

But thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

527295.JPG

527296.JPG
    I've have added: yet
    You can see by France and the UK that they get really low deaths for months, but they they are picking up. I excluded Spain as their reporting is a little over the place.

There's many factors that will come into play, just how long it takes to creep into the older generation, once they happens, deaths will creep up. Hopefully no way near close to the first wave.

I know Iran, Israel and Australia had record numbers of deaths (over 3x the amount) when they reached their second peak (some are still going through it). I'd assume it was down to spreading into the older generation/at risk population.

Situation for most of Europe is definitely different this time. Opening back up will cause cases to rise, but it's going to be impossible to protect the at risk indefinitely.

• Advertisement

Give it time, winter hasn't even started yet and we're in for a long one here in Europe.

3 months, same as any other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Winter will be the same length this year as it is any other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is clusters in Cork city, in a special needs school and direct provision centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Boggles wrote: »
    But you still did.

Stop talking bollix, there is no evidence a hugh amount of the populous left Dublin since Saturday and absolutely none to suggest that has attributed to the current rise in infections.

There is plenty of evidence that a huge amount of people from Dublin left Dublin because of the announcement of restrictions.

There isn’t a CSO report on it.
    But it happened.

There is plenty of evidence that a huge amount of people from Dublin left Dublin because of the announcement of restrictions.

Link?

Anecdotal story?

Anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

Akabusi wrote: »
    Winter will be the same length this year as it is any other year.

How many other winters do we have to cope with a killer virus that cripples and maims people for life if it doesn't kill them ?

How many other winters do we have to cope with a killer virus that cripples and maims people for life if it doesn't kill them ?

lol

Let me guess.....another crucial two weeks, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But it happened.

Evidence = I say it happened.

Fair enough

Every single case in Dublin was caused by people who weren't born here.

But it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NPHET are all about public health

They wouldn't care less if they kept all indoor spaces closed indefinitely if it kept cases down

It's up to the government to see the bigger picture and one reason why the government have added an extra layer inbetween NPHET and themselves

NPHET do not make decisions. They provide advice and yes that advice is from a public health perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement