Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

398 poor souls told today that they're probably going to lose a limb and require a double lung transplant. It's just so WORRYING!

I know one of today's stats. He was at a funeral last week, cough and sore joints Friday, bed ridden for weekend, but passed it off as a flu until his sister convinced him to call the doc Monday evening. Tested Tuesday, and was telling everyone he talked to it was going to be negative as was feeling much better, even getting out of the house (still isolating), until the positive result came through earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What a crap thing to say. Neither funny nor clever.

Not even worth a comment Jim no point with someone of that mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

- Gyms closed - swimming pools closed - Ikea closed - arnotts closed - hardware closed - schools open

Not sure about the hardware but you are correct on the rest. Kids in school no matter what.
    They are the guinea pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eigrod wrote: »
    Pretty high alright at a time we hoped to see some stabilisation given Dublin almost 7 days under restrictions now.

Far too early to see any impact of those restrictions.

Wont filter into the numbers until next week at the earliest

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

is_that_so wrote: »

Keeping schools open while closing hardware stores is just daft stuff. Absolutely daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

eagle eye wrote: »
    Not sure about the hardware but you are correct on the rest. Kids in school no matter what.
    They are the guinea pigs.

Hardware stores are deemed essential once theres an outdoor space and they supply equipment essential to home/business maintenance going by the first round of restrictions but I wouldn't put it past them to start faffing around with essential v non essential parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Are we heading towards another lock down? Full ?Yes or no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry silly question but how do you calculate this?

Note the Total Positive Tests figure on the link below. That’s updated around 3pm-4pm every day. Subtract it from the updated figure that will be published tomorrow afternoon and that gives you the total positive tests (A) in the previous 24 hours.

The tests completed in last 24 hours is also updated at the same time (B).

A/B*100 gives you the daily positivity rate.

Sunday and Monday are a bit of an anomaly though as they don’t update the Positive Test figure on Sundays but they do update the total tests completed- I think.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

Hardware stores are deemed essential once theres an outdoor space and they supply equipment essential to home/business maintenance going by the first round of restrictions but I wouldn't put it past them to start faffing around with essential v non essential parameters.

Hardware stays open alright, likewise construction won't be stopping at level 3 or 4 , I remember it being asked at a press conference recently

That's great news. You should get on to the HIV and ebola crowd once covid peters out.

527308.jpg

Read my post rather than just be condescending

I would guess

Either way, its a quicker return to normality with a containment rather than elimination strategy. All human coronavirus likely had a similar history to this this one and we have developed multiple coronavirus vaccines in the past, just not in humans, but our physiology is not exceptional. The optimist in me has us back to relative normality in 6 months, the realist 12-18 months, and the pessimist sees us not develop a vaccine and the Killeens' of this world holding sway, meaning we piss around for 4 years plus destroying the global economy and preventing natural selective pressures from weakening the virus while no one develops their own resistance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bobtheman wrote:
    Looking like level 4 is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

marno21 wrote: »
    Keeping schools open while closing hardware stores is just daft stuff. Absolutely daft

What happens if the caretaker has an emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Bobtheman wrote: »

Not for about 8 weeks Bob. Make hay...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I wonder if there was as much discussion on boards.bc when the common cold arrived on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

But isn't it risk vs reward stuff?

I mean, of course closing schools would have a bigger impact on numbers than closing hardware stores. But closing a hardware store has a limited impact - obviously the largest being on the store owners and staff, with a small inconvenience to customers.

Closing schools means 1 million children at home, which means one parent's work output decreases by 50%, at the very least. Given 60% of families have two working parents, that means 600,000 workers have their productivity halved. That's a massive impact on the economy. Then we also have the issues that underprivileged children will even more disadvantaged as their parents will not have the ability or inclination to home school them. It will be difficult to bridge the gap from the lack of education between March and June as it is, without further closures.

So it's not comparing like with like at all. There are a lot more factors than just numbers of infections when deciding which sector of the economy should close over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What's this based on, I haven't been paying attention to the thread today, are things looking bad?

I'm a teacher in an average size room. You'd probably only fit five office workers with proper desks in it.
    I have 24 adults plus me. Not legal adults but physical adults.
    I don't feel this is safe.
    But I'm willing to plough on. If the government provided proper screens around my desk. They don't.
    If the government had a plan for online teaching if or when a shut down occurred. They have no plan. They didn't last time.
    They ain't investing in IT
    They gave one extra teacher per school. Hardly a huge amount when the avg secondary school employes about 50 teachers.
    They are forcing teachers who are post cancer to come into school.
    I appreciate other work forces have similar problems.
    Im just filling people in on schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

That wouldn't make much sense, they just moved to level 3 in Dublin less than a week ago, so the restrictions wouldn't even have had time to make an effect. I don't think they'd move to level 4 just a week later.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What's this based on, I haven't been paying attention to the thread today, are things looking bad?

What exactly is level 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

D.Q wrote: »
    I wonder if there was as much discussion on boards.bc when the common cold arrived on earth.
    Ask Seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

D.Q wrote: »

"The fatality rate is much less than with mammoth-related accidents".

GooglePlus wrote: »

There's no mention of level 4 anywhere even in media commentary.

Its based purely on opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If Dublin keeps rising at this trajectory then likely in 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do we get early numbers leaked anymore, is that source silenced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like Donegal is going to level 3 from midnight, which means going by the guidelines Dublin would be unable to go to level 4 as you cannot have more than two different levels at one time in the country, that said seeing the plan was not worth the paper it was written on that might not come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What exactly is level 4?

It's hard to know, because Dublin was level 3 but then it became level 3.?.
    I suppose it depends what the powers that be pull out of their rear ends because the roadmap to living with Covid didn't even last till Supper time the day it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not to the parents of 1m schoolkids. The schools must stay open, they are up there with hospitals as a vital public service. They are also proof of a government in control. The argument is they can be managed, until they can't of course. Even so, we'll need to see an awful lot more cases to get to that level.

Xenji wrote: »
    It looks like Donegal is going to level 3 from midnight, which means going by the guidelines Dublin would be unable to go to level 4 as you cannot have more than two different levels at one time in the country, that said seeing the plan was not worth the paper it was written on that might not come into play.

Its already been said in media reports Dublin isn't going to 4. Not had current restrictions in place for near long enough to see any difference.

But yes based on the "plan" there can only be 2 levels at any one time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do we get early numbers leaked anymore, is that source silenced?
    Seems gone, look at the test swab numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Its already been said in media reports Dublin isn't going to 4. Not had current restrictions in place for near long enough to see any difference.

But yes based on the "plan" there can only be 2 levels at any one time

What is the logic behind not having two different levels ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement