Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

What is the logic behind not having two different levels ?

I guess we wouldn't be "all in this together" anymore :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Read my post rather than just be condescending

I would guess

Either way, its a quicker return to normality with a containment rather than elimination strategy. All human coronavirus likely had a similar history to this this one and we have developed multiple coronavirus vaccines in the past, just not in humans, but our physiology is not exceptional. The optimist in me has us back to relative normality in 6 months, the realist 12-18 months, and the pessimist sees us not develop a vaccine and the Killeens' of this world holding sway, meaning we piss around for 4 years plus destroying the global economy and preventing natural selective pressures from weakening the virus while no one develops their own resistance

I get what you are saying. Come on I read your post there was no source provided. (still none) Which means it's a guess. Do you think it's slightly condescending or arrogant to assume virtually every government and country in the world with the exception of Sweden are wrong and you are right? It is a pretty big bet and fair play for putting yourself out there.

I'm slightly concerned when the country from which the virus originated and who have the greatest experience with these pathogens are protecting their population better than we are.

If it were so easy to just let it rip. (no pun intended) why isn't China doing it?

It could be argued they don't give a fvck about their people and view them more as human capital.

They must not have access to the same information you have or be able to do the cost benefit analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Being able to tweak the strategy further in response to the prevalence of the disease in counties within the same level. Dublin's cases per 100K is well over 100 so needs more severe restrictions. Donegal looks to be next in line for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Every day of our lives we manage risk. Some risks are deemed acceptable, some necessary, some are mitigated and some are eliminated. The one certainty is a level risk will always be tolerated. The alternative is not to live

There's a risk crossing the road. But that's why you look left and right before crossing. There's a bigger risk with this virus. It's something you cannot see and people are infectious before showing symptoms.

I get what you are saying. Come on I read your post there was no source provided. (still none) Which means it's a guess. Do you think it's slightly condescending or arrogant to assume virtually every government and country in the world with the exception of Sweden are wrong and you are right? It is a pretty big bet and fair play for putting yourself out there.

I'm slightly concerned when the country from which the virus originated and who have the greatest experience with these pathogens are protecting their population better than we are.

If it were so easy to just let it rip. (no pun intended) why isn't China doing it?

It could be argued they don't give a fvck about their people and view them more as human capital.

They must not have access to the same information you have or be able to do the cost benefit analysis.
    They can do things we can't, like forcibly making people stay in their houses and doing 11m tests in about a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Thy can do things we can't, like forcibly making people stay in their houses and doing 11m tests in about a week.

11m tests in about a week is the same as here on a per capita basis. They've got a lot of people. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Assuming you mean not having more than two different levels .. Was wondering myself. And surely Donegal will have to go to Level 3.1415 too?

I'd also be curious if they would say put a county at Level 4 but leave surrounding counties at Level 2? Can they handle a 2-level difference between county borders.

Am I correct in the implications of moving to level 4?

- Gyms closed
    - swimming pools closed
    - Ikea closed
    - arnotts closed
    - hardware closed
    - schools open

You could be 5 minutes in s shop but they want to keep schools open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Being able to tweak the strategy further in response to the prevalence of the disease in counties within the same level. Dublin's cases per 100K is well over 100 so needs more severe restrictions. Donegal looks to be next in line for that.

Can't understand the blanket county approach - if letterkenny is the issue (which it seems to be), place Letterkenny under restrictions. But no, they go and create uncertainty in businesses hundreds of km away, but in the same county.

Same for Celbridge in Kildare - it has one of the worst instances in the country, but level 2 restrictions. It makes no sense.

Oh - and when are they going to update the LEA data on the covid hub? It still just runs to 14 Sept, now 10 days out of date.

Again - you have not read my post. I gave my opinion on what I thought would happen with current containment strategy being employed all over Europe versus zero covid, which just pushes the can down the road while simultaneously crippling long term economic outlook. Its not my view that's the exception here.
    And in giving my opinion and not claiming it to be a irrefutable fact, why do I need a source?

But be assured, at least when I give a source, its not faked. Been burned here a couple of times by posters faking a source. Do you know who might employ those tactics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There's a risk crossing the road. But that's why you look left and right before crossing. There's a bigger risk with this virus. It's something you cannot see and people are infectious before showing symptoms.

So other than the present restrictions, SD, Facemasks what are you hoping for in the absence of a vaccine?

Re. Reinfection more cases, more details and more being investigated.
    15 now documented and detailed.

That ECDC report was fairly interesting. Hinted at differing genomes being the main difference.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

527300.png

Re-infections, don't be daft, this is Ireland and not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Guess he doesn't yet realise he is going to lose limbs along with permenant heart and brain damage

https://twitter.com/Ibra_official/status/1309142915210506244?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Its already been said in media reports Dublin isn't going to 4. Not had current restrictions in place for near long enough to see any difference.

But yes based on the "plan" there can only be 2 levels at any one time

Their plan was made up as they went along, it can easily be 'altered', it's as if the plan isn't actually a plan at all

• Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seems gone, look at the test swab numbers.

Where is that info, on the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

US2 wrote: »
    Guess he doesn't yet realise he is going to lose limbs along with permenant heart and brain damage

Dublin will get the blame for that.....

mollser wrote: »
    Can't understand the blanket county approach - if letterkenny is the issue (which it seems to be), place Letterkenny under restrictions. But no, they go and create uncertainty in businesses hundreds of km away, but in the same county.

Same for Celbridge in Kildare - it has one of the worst instances in the country, but level 2 restrictions. It makes no sense.

Oh - and when are they going to update the LEA data on the covid hub? It still just runs to 14 Sept, now 10 days out of date.

It seems to be based on how they are recording cases - by counties. Like the LOKdown, Celbridge and Letterkenny would most likely have people who work there but live further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hopefully he'll be going into self isolation.

Either that or he's a granny killer.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is that info, on the app?
    Not sure, but it gets posted here every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

He's rich enough to buy new, better limbs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Their plan was made up as they went along, it can easily be 'altered', it's as if the plan isn't actually a plan at all

Hence why I said "plan"

The no more than 2 levels would be there i assume to stop confusion. Could you imagine having to remember what counties are level 2, 3 or 4 of your moving through the country.

As it stands everyone knows level 2 nationwide with the exception of Dublin and potentially Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

He's Swedish, he'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hence why I said "plan"

The no more than 2 levels would be there i assume to stop confusion. Could you imagine having to remember what counties are level 2, 3 or 4 of your moving through the country.

As it stands everyone knows level 2 nationwide with the exception of Dublin and potentially Donegal

Great point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Poor Covid, catching Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Only came in a week ago but Germany, Poland, Lithuania and Iceland all removed from Green list.

Cyprus, Finland, Latvia and Liechtenstein are the only countries on it and if im not mistaken all have restrictions on Irish people entering the country

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1309164489657462787?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Will they close the pubs in donegal as well? I know it says "up to closure" on the level 3 plan.

That's a kick in the nads for those who only opened again Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You forgot about the double lung transplant

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Dublin will get the blame for that.....

Be interesting to know if any Rovers players have tested positive.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what is the reason behind that?

At a guess I'd say not to confuse people but the plan itself was confusing.

Easier to have a nationwide level with only 1 group of exceptions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will they close the pubs in donegal as well? I know it says "up to closure" on the level 3 plan.

That's a kick in the nads for those who only opened again Monday.

That's not under Level 3, though who knows.

Dublin are at level 3.56789 after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement