Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone noticing people are starting to stop wearing masks in shops/supermarkets?
    Where it was around 95% I reckon it's down to about 80% now - in Lidl today and of about 40 people in the place saw about 6 not wearing masks, same with local spar shop - many going in with no mask and not bothering with the hand sanitizer

I'm in south Dublin, and whilst mask wearing is pretty much universal in the area, social distancing is being increasingly dispensed with. Someone came right on top of me in Boots, Dundrum, the other day and I suggested she keep her distance, which she then did after a quick "oh" exclamation. Then I noticed that my local chemist shop has, er, dispensed with the (sanitiser) dispenser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Notice a few places here have increased their safety measures with extra barriers and sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Average of 88 per day based on CSO figures from pervious years. This year the daily rate maybe higher .

People don't realise this though, I didn't know it was this big. People see 2 or 3 covid deaths and lose their **** over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In news that will shock nobody:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200908/Research-suggests-school-reopenings-contribute-to-rise-in-COVID-19-cases.aspx

It's one thing to say we must keep the schools open, but we must ensure that it is safe for everyone, including staff. Why should teachers put up with unsafe work practices, who might be vulnerable or caring for someone is. Cramming people into small rooms wasn't good enough 5-10 years ago and it sure as hell isn't good enough now. Teachers deserve protections, being stuck in a room full of schoolchildren, many of.whom could be asymptomatic and infectious, is not safe without protections. Every teacher should have perspex screens at their desk. Will parents help ensure this happens, to ensure it is safe for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200908/Research-suggests-school-reopenings-contribute-to-rise-in-COVID-19-cases.aspx

It's one thing to say we must keep the schools open, but we must ensure that it is safe for everyone, including staff. Why should teachers put up with unsafe work practices, who might be vulnerable or caring for someone is. Cramming people into small rooms wasn't good enough 5-10 years ago and it sure as hell isn't good enough now. Teachers deserve protections, being stuck in a room full of schoolchildren, many of.whom could be asymptomatic and infectious, is not safe without protections. Every teacher should have perspex screens at their desk. Will parents help ensure this happens, to ensure it is safe for everyone?

I don’t know if rules were given on Perspex screens at desks, but money was made available for structural changes in schools. In our primary school the teachers wear visors and masks and a system was put in so they each wear a microphone over the ear so the kids can hear them. I still think the social distancing is not adequate in schools though.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Watch the schools. They don't want us to, but there we go.

The Donegal outbreak is not good. But in fairness Donegal is a little fiefdom of their own, just look at the Garda history there and the myriad of car crash deaths, RIP. And they are a forgotten people UP THERE, reckon they have far more in common whether they agree or not, with places like Derry rather than Dublin.

We shall see.

Nothing special about Donegal in this.
    Covid is so infectious, everywhere is at risk of widespread outbreaks, one case can lead to 10 or 20, just a few parties or funeral afters, or golf outings is enough for a need for countywide restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t know if rules were given on Perspex screens at desks, but money was made available for structural changes in schools. In our primary school the teachers wear visors and masks and a system was put in so they each wear a microphone over the ear so the kids can hear them. I still think the social distancing is not adequate in schools though.

Nobody is safe.. is the shop worker safe who kept you in food for months of lock down?? If you don't want to teach, go on the pandemic payment like 200,000 + others who lost their jobs.
    As far as I can see the problem teachers have is having to walk between classrooms now.. well big boohoo.you can't expect to get your big wage and stay at home pretending to be busy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

niallo27 wrote: »
    People don't realise this though, I didn't know it was this big. People see 2 or 3 covid deaths and lose their **** over it.

I think the point is that Covid is new. It's a new cause of deaths with unknown effects. And preventable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

There are acceptable risks we have to take. Schools are one of them. We also allow people to leave their homes. That is the biggest risk factor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

coastwatch wrote: »
    Nothing special about Donegal in this.
    Covid is so infectious, everywhere is at risk of widespread outbreaks, one case can lead to 10 or 20, just a few parties or funeral afters, or golf outings is enough for a need for countywide restrictions.

It's very contagious in the right environment.
    But that environment can be successfully controlled. People went shopping all through this summer and our cases went way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    But that environment can be successfully controlled. People went shopping all through this summer and our cases went way down.

Yes, but it only takes the behaviour of a tiny percentage of a county population to cause outbreaks that ultimately requires additional restrictions to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Kids didn’t go to school all through the summer. People don’t spend all day in shops in close proximity with each other.

gud wrote: »
    Nobody is safe.. is the shop worker safe who kept you in food for months of lock down?? If you don't want to teach, go on the pandemic payment like 200,000 + others who lost their jobs.
    As far as I can see the problem teachers have is having to walk between classrooms now.. well big boohoo.you can't expect to get your big wage and stay at home pretending to be busy

I’m not a teacher, and this post just seems to be sour eggs over the fact the teachers were paid whilst the schools were closed. The environments of shops and schools are very different, the schools are crammed in, and I don’t think the approach to getting the kids back is optimal or risk reducing enough TBH. I admire teachers, I think they’re good people who deserve the same treatment as any other workers regarding covid safety and they’re not getting that, and worse neither are our children.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Helsinki Airport uses dogs to sniff out Coronavirus and it’s faster than lab testing. Research indicated that dogs are able to smell coronavirus with almost 100% certainty."

https://www.finavia.fi/en/newsroom/2020/covid-19-dogs-arrive-airport-able-identify-virus-earlier-laboratory-tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

coastwatch wrote: »
    Yes, but it only takes the behaviour of a tiny percentage of a county population to cause outbreaks that ultimately requires additional restrictions to control.

That's why I'm in favour of the government introducing emergency measures to deter and get them to comply with the guidelines. The Isle of man has fines of up to 10,000 pounds or prison for 6 months for people caught breaking quarantine guidelines. I hate to say it but we need the same here. There will be far too many people bending the rules and guidelines otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There are acceptable risks we have to take. Schools are one of them. We also allow people to leave their homes. That is the biggest risk factor.

You say that but you are not the one being asked to take the risk so? Why should retail workers get protective screens and teacher's shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's why I'm in favour of the government introducing emergency measures to deter and get them to comply with the guidelines. The Isle of man has fines of up to 10,000 pounds or prison for 6 months for people caught breaking quarantine guidelines. I hate to say it but we need the same here. There will be far too many people bending the rules and guidelines otherwise.

Why not bring back the stocks or the village ducking pond or maybe a public flogging or two.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

screamer wrote: »
    I’m not a teacher, and this post just seems to be sour eggs over the fact the teachers were paid whilst the schools were closed. The environments of shops and schools are very different, the schools are crammed in, and I don’t think the approach to getting the kids back is optimal or risk reducing enough TBH. I admire teachers, I think they’re good people who deserve the same treatment as any other workers regarding covid safety and they’re not getting that, and worse neither are our children.

Do you think this virus is going to go away in a few months/years? We should lock up everyone and everything? We have to live with this and that is a fact.
    And we live with it by exposing ourselves to it in the normal way we live our lives.
    The whole of ireland living in fear of the numbers rte read out every day. 340 new cases... No breakdown of numbers like 300 were asymptomatic, 4 had to go hospital. 20 had head colds. Etc... As most of the experts outside of ireland are starting to say now Sweden were right......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

As most of the experts outside of ireland are starting to say now Sweden were right......
    I'm not sure that's true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No the complete opposite, every shop i have been in in the limerick and clare area its 100% mask wearing. Your looked upon like a lepper if your not wearing one.

I've given up on the hand sanitiser. Most shops must have mostly water in it, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,309 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

maebee wrote:
    I'm still in shock since MM spoke about the high cases in Stranolar. We're just home after a few fabulous days in Donegal. Stayed in Ballybofey, went for a walk last night and ended up in Stranolar. OH wanted to have a look at Finn Harp's ground, went into the Lidl there. We never took our masks off so fingers crossed.
    Lidl is in Ballybofey, the other side of the bridge is Stranorlar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I carry my own. The last few times I went to my local SuperValu, you’d press the hand sanitizer and it’d be empty. Then wonder how many others had tried the same. Ugh.

The dirty mask thing is definitely an issue. Masks are required at drop off for my kids school even though it’s all outdoors, the yard gets busy enough. There’s one dad who I’m sure hasn’t washed his white mask since the 1st September. It looks like a pair of painters overalls. ****ing disgusting

I've noticed this in a few shops now, sanitizers not being refilled, I'm gonna have to start carrying a bottle of it around with me again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

US2 wrote: »
    I've given up on the hand sanitiser. Most shops must have mostly water in it, useless.

How do you know it's useless? There are many consistencies of sanitisers from thick gel to foam to watery.

An island nation with two jurisdictions, we are part of Europe and culturally close to our British counterparts.

Are we really bringing back up the New Zealand thing.

We have a land border with a different country. We aren't New Zealand
    The people in the north are in the same boat as ourselves which is wanting rid of this virus.
    All you have to do is talk to them and work out a plan to help both north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yeah, percentagewise, relatively speaking, it's like just one child in a big classroom.
    You go in and are told they're all going to die, but you can save one if you wear a mask and wash your hands, and be sensible about social distancing.
    It's still sh1t craic.

Do you think this virus is going to go away in a few months/years? We should lock up everyone and everything? We have to live with this and that is a fact.
    And we live with it by exposing ourselves to it in the normal way we live our lives.
    The whole of ireland living in fear of the numbers rte read out every day. 340 new cases... No breakdown of numbers like 300 were asymptomatic, 4 had to go hospital. 20 had head colds. Etc... As most of the experts outside of ireland are starting to say now Sweden were right......

Jees calm down there, or you might do yourself an injury and need an ould hospital bed yourself.
    You really put 2 and 2 together and get 50.
    I never said anything about locking anything up, I stated our teachers deserve the same rights to covid19 safety procedures as any other worker, which they are currently not getting, and that the plan to return kids to school has not been thoroughly thought through to see where and what steps we could take to mitigate risks to the children and their teachers. Now breathe there.

road_high wrote:
    Once again utter rubbish. We’ve had one of Europe’s strictest and longest lockdowns. It hasn’t worked because the strategy simply does not work despite however much catholic style punishment and guilt you heap on
    When we had lockdown it did work.

When we opened up again all the idiots decided it was back to normal despite being told to wear facemasks, wash your hands and social distance.
    The amount of people I see with just their face covered and not their nose, that step into other people's space, that are constantly scratching under their facemasks is unreal. Absolutely no cop on for a sizeable minority.
    The biggest problem is that most people are too nice and too afraid to say something to upset another person when you should not only say something to these fools but use a couple of expletives to drive it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

From this apparently there are now 11 covid19 vaccine candidates which have reached phase 3. Hopefully some of these work. https://www.france24.com/en/20200924-novavax-enters-late-stage-clinical-trials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Great to see fans back at the Bayern Sevilla match tonight.
    All the leftists are battering their keyboards in their f*cking sh*t stained basements demanding a lockdown for the next 100 years.

The c*nts had no lives before , so they want everyone else to be basement dwelling gaming neckbeard 45 year old virgins ...

sorry lads, the tide is turning ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement