Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Strumms wrote: »
    World health organization says otherwise :) I’ll go with them ;)

Link, either way you know that is completely incorrect so it's Deliberate misinformation

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

dalyboy wrote: »
    I reckon the HSE will find some “flaw” in it.
    They’re not going to give up their abomination 3-4 day turnaround PCR test that easily. 15 minute test would mean we would get back to a semblance of normality fairly quickly and that’ll blow the doomsday narrative for them.

97% accurate, so 3 out of every 100 infected with a KILLER virus will be going about their day , zero effects of this Covid19 but spreading this LETHAL virus far and wide, the so called super spreaders and asymptomatic
    Sounds like a winning plan to me.
    Ireland should order a few million of these test at a €1,000,000,000 cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

da_miser wrote: »
    Dont see many sacrifices from those older people the last few years retired on a nice pension in a house they own towards the young working for minimum wage, taxed to pay for the retired while living in a dog box apartment with zero prospects for a good future.
    Nearly all economists agree there will be no old age pension for the young currently working to pay for those receiving it now, and you want these young folk to go into even more debt to keep you safe and add another year to your already 80+?
    I expect the UK to be the first major country to see the public revolt against these lock down covid laws in a meaningful way, riots by mid October, full on insurrection by Guy Fawkes Night, November 5th.

The retired payed tax for long enough and still do on purchases. The retired payed it too, between 25%-60% on income in the 1980’s depending what they earned. They are entitled to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A public revolt in the uk won’t be happening.

Link, either way you know that is completely incorrect so it's Deliberate misinformation

I’m sure using google you can find the WHO info. It’s not beyond you. They even have a website. ;)

The retired payed tax for long enough and still do on purchases. The retired payed it too, between 25%-60% on income in the 1980’s depending what they earned. They are entitled to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A public revolt in the uk won’t be happening.

The old are now benefiting from a social welfare pension that the young are paying for that will not be there for them when they get old.
    "between 25%-60%"???
    You must not work , what do you think the tax rate is today for working people?
    The UK will be in full revolt against Covid 19 restriction by November 5th, bank on it!

• Advertisement

I’m sure using google you can find the WHO info. It’s not beyond you. They even have a website. ;)

You know that is not correct

You know that is not correct

What you can’t find the website ?

The old are now benefiting from a social welfare pension that the young are paying for that will not be there for them when they get old.
    "between 25%-60%"???
    You must not work , what do you think the tax rate is today for working people?
    The UK will be in full revolt against Covid 19 restriction by November 5th, bank on it!

I must not work, no I don’t work, at all in fact.

What you can’t find the website ?

You know the mortality rate is far less than 5%.

I must not work, no I don’t work, at all in fact.

Your lack of knowledge of current tax rates confirmed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Add that site to your banned list - it's junk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Your lack of knowledge of current tax rates confirmed that

Eh, he was talking about the tax rates the present pensioners that you are giving out about paid back in the 80s and 90 s .
    Penal times with mortgage rates up to 13.5% , think 15 % at one stage early 90s .
    Now that ..was tough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

97% accurate, so 3 out of every 100 infected with a KILLER virus will be going about their day , zero effects of this Covid19 but spreading this LETHAL virus far and wide, the so called super spreaders and asymptomatic
    Sounds like a winning plan to me.
    Ireland should order a few million of these test at a €1,000,000,000 cost.

97% is at best, much lower in the real world. Still in all its probably better than nothing and rapid tests have a use especially in developing countries where they don't have necessary resources.
    The companies claim their tests are about 97% accurate, but that is in optimal conditions. Find puts their sensitivity between 80% and 90% in real-world conditions. That would pick up most infections. There is relatively little testing in most low- and middle-income countries at present. While North America tests 395 people per 100,000 population daily and Europe tests 243, Africa tests fewer than 16 – and most of those are in Morocco, Kenya and Senegal.

There are rapid antigen tests available for sale online, but these are the first to meet the WHO’s specifications and some tests have fallen short. Spain had to send back two batches of rapid tests it bought from unlicensed companies in China in March, because they were said to be faulty.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/28/covid-19-tests-that-give-results-in-minutes-to-be-rolled-out-across-world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

dalyboy wrote: »
    I reckon the HSE will find some “flaw” in it.
    They’re not going to give up their abomination 3-4 day turnaround PCR test that easily. 15 minute test would mean we would get back to a semblance of normality fairly quickly and that’ll blow the doomsday narrative for them.

PCR tests take 3 hours to run a batch of 94, long turnaround is due to lack of resources.... most developed countries can return a test result same day maybe next day at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JJayoo wrote: »
    I pity the cops, gonna be a busy week

Well a friend of mine lives nearby and recorded most of it(waiting for it to go onto social media before I post it) it was the Gardai who encouraged everyone to go to one point of Spanish Arch, the "crowd" was much more spread out until they asked everyone to go over the bridge. (Not sure why you'd want a spread out crowd closer together)

Still shouldn't happen but the full picture is needed before coming to conclusions here.

However there is one video from shop street of a large group around a busker, thats people just being stupid.

Foe the groups, Gardai can use public order legislation if things are getting out of hand but they're fairly stuck other than that

World health organization says otherwise :) I’ll go with them ;)

No they don't. WHO estimates IFR at between 0.5 and 1%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

New CDC data confirm that the Wuhan coronavirus poses almost zero death risk in people below the age of 50 (see details below). At the same time, these data also confirm the virus remains extremely dangerous to people over the age of 70, and the CDC estimates that 1 in 18 elderly people who contract the virus (i.e. are “infected”) end up being killed by it.

Meanwhile, the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) for people 50 – 69 years is 1 in 200, making it far deadlier than the seasonal flu for individuals in that group.

But for people aged 20 – 49 years, the IFR drops to just 1 in 5000. This means that for every 5,000 people who are infected within this age group, one fatality is expected.

Those below the age of 20 have an even lower fatality rate: About 1 in 33,000.

In summary, the risk of death from the coronavirus in people under the age of 50 is extremely small, and approaching zero.

These numbers are based on the CDC’s new data released at the following link, using “Scenario 5” which is labeled, “Current Best Estimate.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Most importantly, these data show that coronavirus “cases” are meaningless if detected in someone who isn’t sick. The media continues to try to terrorize the nations by claiming tens of thousands of new “cases” each day, but these cases are almost universally non-significant in that the patients demonstrate no symptoms and no sickness. Furthermore, the tests being used to diagnose such “cases” are extremely unreliable and likely rooted in predominantly false positives.

In fact, in a truly shocking development that has not been reported by the scaremongering news media, the former Chief Science Officer of Pfizer is now claiming the entire “second wave” of the pandemic is being faked through the use of unreliable mass testing that’s producing mostly false positives.
    The more you test the more "cases" you get.

The bottom line? Unless you’re over the age of 60 or so, the coronavirus poses very little risk to you. The lockdown reactions toward the virus are wildly exaggerated and medically unnecessary. While precautions should be taken for those who are elderly and therefore more vulnerable to risks of death, younger people don’t need vaccines, masks, social distancing or lockdowns. What they need is to get their lives back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

patnor1011 wrote: »
    New CDC data confirm that the Wuhan coronavirus poses almost zero death risk in people below the age of 50 (see details below). At the same time, these data also confirm the virus remains extremely dangerous to people over the age of 70, and the CDC estimates that 1 in 18 elderly people who contract the virus (i.e. are “infected”) end up being killed by it.

Meanwhile, the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) for people 50 – 69 years is 1 in 200, making it far deadlier than the seasonal flu for individuals in that group.

But for people aged 20 – 49 years, the IFR drops to just 1 in 5000. This means that for every 5,000 people who are infected within this age group, one fatality is expected.

In summary, the risk of death from the coronavirus in people under the age obf 50 is extremely small, and approaching zero.

These numbers are based on the CDC’s new data released at the following link, using “Scenario 5” which is labeled, “Current Best Estimate.”

Most importantly, these data show that coronavirus “cases” are meaningless if detected in someone who isn’t sick. The media continues to try to terrorize the nations by claiming tens of thousands of new “cases” each day, but these cases are almost universally non-significant in that the patients demonstrate no symptoms and no sickness. Furthermore, the tests being used to diagnose such “cases” are extremely unreliable and likely rooted in predominantly false positives.

In fact, in a truly shocking development that has not been reported by the scaremongering news media, the former Chief Science Officer of Pfizer is now claiming the entire “second wave” of the pandemic is being faked through the use of unreliable mass testing that’s producing mostly false positives.

The bottom line? Unless you’re over the age of 60 or so, the coronavirus poses very little risk to you. The lockdown reactions toward the virus are wildly exaggerated and medically unnecessary. While precautions should be taken for those who are elderly and therefore more vulnerable to risks of death, younger people don’t need vaccines, masks, social distancing or lockdowns. What they need is to get their lives back.

If only it was that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

JJayoo wrote: »
    I don't think you realise how stupid drunk hormonely charged teens are. The video in question isn't off some popular meeting point it's of a bridge, and this is a fraction of the crowd, and everyone of these students will be packing themselves into house parties that will go on all night. This isn't an hour long outdoor protest. I pity the cops, gonna be a busy week

If it is true then people will have zero sympathy for them when they are quarantined in their accommodation for a couple of weeks. The people in Manchester and Glasgow are finding it fairly hard at the moment.

It general though it’s pretty stupid. Universities incentivised to get students back (fees and rents) Everyone knew in all likelihood it will not be sustainable in the medium term.l so students will end up not needing to be on campus.

I would have thought accepting human nature and mandating this year to be though from home would have been a better idea. I know we are not allowed to look at other countries and see what went wrong there especially if they are a few weeks ahead in terms of an activity. We might actually learn something instead of reinventing the wheel.

https://twitter.com/catherinehwyatt/status/1309924226288189441?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Zara King asked a zinger of a question at the end of the briefing. Apparently teachers knowing of confirmed cases in the school and not being treat as close contacts as otherwise would be. Hard to not agree with the message sent to her. I'd say it's real given that it's very prevalent in Donegal so would be in schools there. I sympathise with those teachers that find themselves in a horrible position.

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1310701643076382720?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

If only it was that simple

The longer this goes on the worse it gets believe me. While I am one of the unlucky lucky people who still have a job which cant be done from comfort of the house I feel sorry for all of the people who lost jobs as it is fairly clear at this stage that poverty is going to kill much more people than covid.

To the posters looking for evidence to my claims yesterday.
    Donegal outbreaks linked to Communions, funeral gatherings, house parties and retirement celebrations

Donegal Restrictions

Schools open = communions/confirmations= family gatherings

Its just bad timing

The longer this goes on the worse it gets believe me. While I am one of the unlucky lucky people who still have a job which cant be done from comfort of the house I feel sorry for all of the people who lost jobs as it is fairly clear at this stage that poverty is going to kill much more people than covid.

Either way theres going to be economic effects. Its the long term health effects that are unkown, which could possibly csuse more premature deaths is worrying

Christ its cold,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Well a friend of mine lives nearby and recorded most of it(waiting for it to go onto social media before I post it) it was the Gardai who encouraged everyone to go to one point of Spanish Arch, the "crowd" was much more spread out until they asked everyone to go over the bridge. (Not sure why you'd want a spread out crowd closer together)

Still shouldn't happen but the full picture is needed before coming to conclusions here.

However there is one video from shop street of a large group around a busker, thats people just being stupid.

Foe the groups, Gardai can use public order legislation if things are getting out of hand but they're fairly stuck other than that

The gardai - "Huddle together now lads, make sure you're holding hands and don't forget to lick each other - this photo's going viral!" :pac:

Donegal Restrictions

Its just bad timing

There were lots of communions in August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Donegal Restrictions

Its just bad timing

This isn’t evidence and you’ve failed to provide any whatsoever.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The gardai - "Huddle together now lads, make you're holding hands and don't forget to lick each other - this photo's going viral!" :pac:

Sure a bit like Dame Lane months ago, getting in pictures with people, then the pictures of people drinking cans goes all over twitter before they decide "right better move everyone on now".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Sure a bit like Dame Lane months ago, getting in pictures with people, then the pictures of people drinking cans goes all over twitter before they decide "right better move everyone on now".

It took 2 months for the Dame Lane incident to translate into cases and 3 months for the BLM protest. The packed beaches were another thing. Not sure when Killarney will be hit for the dancing on telephone boxes incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dont see many sacrifices from those older people the last few years retired on a nice pension in a house they own towards the young working for minimum wage, taxed to pay for the retired while living in a dog box apartment with zero prospects for a good future.
    Nearly all economists agree there will be no old age pension for the young currently working to pay for those receiving it now, and you want these young folk to go into even more debt to keep you safe and add another year to your already 80+?
    I expect the UK to be the first major country to see the public revolt against these lock down covid laws in a meaningful way, riots by mid October, full on insurrection by Guy Fawkes Night, November 5th.

Many an economist will tell you that the pre-covid economy of high rents and high house prices was a wealth redistribution from the young to the old.

And now the young are getting a kicking from the old. Again.

Johnny hasnt you covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hardyn wrote: »

And you can divide that safely by 10 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

"Worth bearing in mind re Galway."

Some will listen to everything else this man has to say but they'll turn a blind eye to this. Cray cray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

wadacrack wrote: »

That's great and all, but what about a survey of everyone who had it? Not just a sample of people who ended up in hospital. I mean in general if you end up in hospital for anything, if means it's quite serious and of course you wouldn't be right for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

Hardyn wrote: »

Worth breaking down by age. CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html
    0-19 years: 0.00003
    20-49 years: 0.0002
    50-69 years: 0.005
    70+ years: 0.054

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

ranto_boy wrote: »

Hold on. That does not fit the narrative that if you go outside your home you are likely to drop dead from this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

And if today there are three people on the street for every two gardai, tomorrow there will be six people on the street for those two gardai. There is increasing movement away from acceptance of restrictions for all as the only way to deal with this. It's time to think outside the box, but unfortunately NPHET is stuck on a track unable to see left or right.

It took 2 months for the Dame Lane incident to translate into cases and 3 months for the BLM protest. The packed beaches were another thing. Not sure when Killarney will be hit for the dancing on telephone boxes incident.

It will be in 2026. It's a long time, I know, but don't drop your guard. And the effects! My God, the effects will last hundreds of years. In a thousand years time archaeologists will be digging up ancient bodies that are still writhing from the long-lasting effects of Covid.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Asylum15

In summary, the risk of death from the coronavirus in people under the age of 50 is extremely small, and approaching zero.

Except the emerging studies are showing even those with no symptoms (under age of 40) have gone on to develop long term issues with heart, respiratory system, fatigue etc. Might not kill you, but certainly makes your quality of life degrade.

As I said on another thread, the rhetoric is changing. As always, however, when the older generation think they're being cool, they are actually coming across as patronising parish priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Asylum15 wrote: »
    Except the emerging studies are showing even those with no symptoms (under age of 40) have gone on to develop long term issues with heart, respiratory system, fatigue etc. Might not kill you, but certainly makes your quality of life degrade.

We are 7 months into this, have we given a new definition to 'long term study' ? My understanding ( open to correction of course)is a long term study takes place over years not months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Swap house parties for dinner parties, which don't make social media and I can guarantee people of all ages aren't adhering to these guidelines. Using the term house parties in itself makes people think of young people drinking, conveniently ignores the multitude of other situations happening that cause as many issues.

And you can divide that safely by 10 again.

Explain how 0.16% of the population of Lombardy have died or 0.2% of the population of New York?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Christ, the naysayers are in top form in their echo chamber this morning. The old giving the young a good kicking, time to think outside the box, the effects of the virus aren’t that bad, the masses are rebelling against restrictions. Howling at the moon. Take a break lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

AdamD wrote: »
    Swap house parties for dinner parties, which don't make social media and I can guarantee people of all ages aren't adhering to these guidelines. Using the term house parties in itself makes people think of young people drinking, conveniently ignores the multitude of other situations happening that cause as many issues.

Fact.
    Had a lock-in in the local on Sunday evening. No one younger than 40 in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

We are 7 months into this, have we given a new definition to 'long term study' ? My understanding ( open to correction of course)is a long term study takes place over years not months.

"long-term study" wasn't said by anyone

they're not just going to wait a few years before looking into this. we can't afford to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

"long-term study" wasn't said by anyone

they're not just going to wait a few years before looking into this. we can't afford to

To issue a report of long term affects surely a study 7 months into the pandemic is hardly evidence of long term affects?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement