Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picked up a tall fridge yesterday

• 23-09-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭

AT last I can get out stalking again. My local butcher closed up so I didn't have anywhere to hang any deer I'll manage to shoot. I just have to make a hook fixing inside now.
    Skin on for me (as I've always done it) ;)

527162.jpg

FB_IMG_1600851911796.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's the job Clive. I thought this was going to be an update on your converting a fridge freezer into a fridge.

Those fridges are getting harder and more expensive to come by with the amount of fellas buying them up for their man caves since Covid.

You might be able to use the racking holes at the sides to hold a removable bar resting across the top that you could hang the deer off.

Whatever you do will be a great job anyway, hope you fill it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

clivej wrote: »
    AT last I can get out stalking again.....

FB_IMG_1600851911796.jpg

As said use the existing racking system . Put one of the original shelves back in as high as you can. Using a toolspread the centre of the racks bars apart to allow a hook or gamble to be inserted. This way not only do yiu have a large game storage fridge but you can still utilize it off season.
    Don't be tempted to drill holes in the sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

That's the job Clive. I thought this was going to be an update on your converting a fridge freezer into a fridge.

Those fridges are getting harder and more expensive to come by with the amount of fellas buying them up for their man caves since Covid.

You might be able to use the racking holes at the sides to hold a removable bar resting across the top that you could hang the deer off.

Whatever you do will be a great job anyway, hope you fill it soon.
    As said use the existing racking system . Put one of the original shelves back in as high as you can. Using a toolspread the centre of the racks bars apart to allow a hook or gamble to be inserted. This way not only do yiu have a large game storage fridge but you can still utilize it off season.
    Don't be tempted to drill holes in the sides.

Yes I'm going to use the existing rack tracks up the fridges sides. I have the metal to hand so an early start in the morning :rolleyes:

It's is/was a wine fridge with a big fan at the top sucking cold air in at the top down a baffle plate at the back over the cooling elements and out at the bottom.

I now have my BBQ Inkbird 4 probe temperature monitor tracking the inside temperatures. The probes are positioned at the Top, bottom and 2 equal distance midway. Stat is coming on at 5C and off at 3C so average is 4C. I can turn it down more if I need too.

Stat is coming on at 5C and off at 3C so average is 4C. I can turn it down more if I need too.

That's a good temperature, especially for long term storage. If it was in a busy kitchen and being opened every few minutes then I would drop it by a few degrees, but it should be fine.
    One of the oldest and best fridges we have in work is a glass doors fridge. Many of the technicians that come in to service our stuff always remark how good they are and far from having any issues with a transparent door.

Made up a couple of sliding hanging bars for the fridge today. I use shelve bracket wall bars for the side parts and made the cross parts from 10mm x 10mm square rod. The cross parts to hang the deer with can slide along the side rails. Making it more easy to hang 2 deer (hopefully I'll grass 2).
    And picked up 4 x 100mm meat hooks for €6. I only have to give the cross bars a lick of paint sometime (when ever/never).

527301.jpg

527302.jpg

527303.jpg

FB_IMG_1600956646078.jpg

FB_IMG_1600956669284.jpg

FB_IMG_1600956675903.jpg

• Advertisement

use shelve bracket wall bars for the side parts

Were did you get these, have you a spec for them?

Excellent bit of ingeniousailty.

Were did you get these, have you a spec for them?

Excellent bit of ingeniousailty.

Any of the hardware stores will have the wall rails in stock, I used a single slot rail 'cos that was what I had in the shed. The single slot rail sat on the fridge's side spring clips perfectly.
    And the cross hanging bars just sit in the tracks and can slide to the front and rear along the rails.
    Magic or wot :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

527315.jpg

rsz_61wffzflacl_ac_sl1408_.jpg

Fridge temperature graph, probe #3 about 1/3 up from the bottom of the fridge. The other 3 probes showed the same rise and fall with an average temp. of 4 degrees C. +/- 1C

527316.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Genius indeed there Mr Clive...
    That is one you should patent or start making and flogging.It's much, much tidier than the fridge kits that Bushwear UK are selling which involves drilling holes in the fridge.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nice Fallow buck in the fridge this morning. I had to cut him in half cos I couldn't lift him in on my own. Even then he was still a good weight to lift. Fcuk but this dosen't get any easier the older I get.

527810.jpg

527811.jpg

• Advertisement

I use a Coke fridge and it has its electrics in the bottom so it is floor high. It can be difficult to get an animal in. I use a temporary step ( pallet) to give me a boast.

From your other pictures stick a gamble up in the rafters or beams of your roof and a small block and tackle to manoeuvre it in. I've used something similar to more Reds around for a walk in fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

look forward to someones ingenuity in taking a cheap LIDL electric winch,they have occasionaly on offer and making a gantry to pop in the carcasses like this

Wild-in-der-Kuehlung.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    look forward to someones ingenuity in taking a cheap LIDL electric winch,they have occasionaly on offer and making a gantry to pop in the carcasses like this

My mind is working on something already. A portable winch arm on wheels. Keep it simple. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

My mind is working on something already. A portable winch arm on wheels. Keep it simple. :):)

Engine hoist ?

Engine hoist ?

I've not the room in my old shed for that. I was thinking more on the lines of something like an engine hoist with a hand winch attached on wheels.

Got a cheap €12 hydraulic jack from Lidl this week and knocked up this hoist to help me lift a deer into my tall fridge. I only have to undo 1 bolt, held on with a wing nut, and the complete frame will fold flat. The jack is also only held in place with just 2 x 6mm bolts, so it's easy to remove off the frame.
    Bit of tidying up still to get done and then a lick of paint to finish it off.

528776.jpg

528777.jpg

528778.jpg

Deer hoist 01.jpg

Deer hoist 04.jpg

Deer hoist 06.jpg

I'm very pleased with the new hoist. Just the correct height for my tall fridge. And easy to move around my shed with a Fallow Buck on it.

529257.jpg

529258.jpg

FB_IMG_1602688938501.jpg

FB_IMG_1602688943486.jpg

Advertisement