Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Haha unlike Mr failed panzer division number 2 earlier

Like I said Don't believe the story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I realise that this is probably the worst place to ask people to show a bit of empathy since it is boards after all. Yeah sure let immigrants be homeless we dont want our tax money going to help a family in need. Most people here seem to know a great deal about immigrants i wonder where this information is coming from , i'm sure its an unbiased source.

I know plenty of immigrants, work with them too, who pay the same taxes and have the same bills to pay as me, so have plenty of empathy with them.

I've zero empathy for chancers claiming asylum here to take advantage of our generous welfare system.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just be glad your not one of them. You don't have to worry about a war or a famine. Just concerned about the little extra tax that you might have to pay up. Complain constantly because a family was housed what a great lad you are. At least you've dropped the act of "but what about the homeless".

Which is a sickening enough amount to make me want to withdraw asylum from here altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone noticed that he did not answer that question.
    Also the middle class Nigerians arriving into Ireland as asylum seekers are not fleeing famine either.

With 33 or so posts already on a 12 page thread; you'd swear that he almost had a vested interest in the asylum industry :pac:
    "Just concerned about the little extra tax that you might have to pay up" he says .....

It will be a lot more than a "little extra tax" that we will be all paying if the current asylum charade is not stopped. We cannot afford it any more.

Well it genuinely annoys me when people use the homeless as tool to attack immigrants. And idk why you are trying to imply that i'm making some sort of profit from the immigration industry (weird comment). I also never said that Albanians and Georgians were fleeing war and btw poverty can be just as bad.

o1s1n wrote: »
    We actually fairly much agree then.

Once they are granted asylum after your asylum interview, where do they go housing wise? I suppose that's the big question at the moment.

Bottom of the housing list like everyone else who needs access to social housing ,if it take 12 + years to be housed like everyone else so be it ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Well it genuinely annoys me when people use the homeless as tool to attack immigrants. And idk why you are trying to imply that i'm making some sort of profit from the immigration industry (weird comment). I also never said that Albanians and Georgians were fleeing war and btw poverty can be just as bad.
    And there you have it ladies and gentlemen.
    Poverty is now a valid reason for the many millions around the world who live in poverty to claim asylum in Ireland.
    I can safely say now that he conclusively lost the argument.

Kivaro wrote: »
    And there you have it ladies and gentlemen.
    Poverty is now a valid reason for the many millions around the world who live in poverty to claim asylum in Ireland.
    I can safely say now that he conclusively lost the argument.

Nail on the head

Which is a sickening enough amount to make me want to withdraw asylum from here altogether.

The problem with asylum (and the UN) is that what is considered to be allowed under Asylum doesn't take into account the changing world, and the practicalities of economies. The UN makes declarations regarding Asylum rights, but is living in the past when international travel wasn't quite so available. We're far more connected due to transportation of goods, and in turn, people, than ever before, and so, the limitations that were in place to funnel asylum seekers towards more "local" destinations is neutered.

However the real problem is the ever increasing number of rights that people apparently have, and yet, it's only really in western nations that those rights are protected.. and as such, that makes western nations the best place to head towards. Even though many nations (UN members) have Asylum practices throughout Africa, M.East, and Asia.

The last issue is one of economics. The UN and pro-migrant treaties can't imagine a world where western nations are limited by their economies, and the state of the world. There's been just too much economic friction over the last few decades (here we are heading into another recession), but no doubt, we'll see further initiatives by the UN to expand on the rights of asylum seekers, refugees and migrants.... because they've got little else to do, since they've essentially been a failure at their primary purpose of stopping war around the world...

I wouldn't be supportive of removing Asylum completely... but I would be for the removal of the UN requirements, and allowing individual nations to fully choose how they're going to deal with it. If that means deportations, then so be it. If that means refusing 99% of applications, then so be it. If that means, increasing barriers to migration, then, so be it... we need to move away from this high minded humanitarian mission, because it just hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just be glad your not one of them. You don't have to worry about a war or a famine.

Albania, Georgia, South Africa = no war, no famine

Half of AS arrive from, wait for it, that hellhole of war, that cesspit of famine..................the UK!!!!

I welcome genuine refugees fleeing war, and we have a programme to accept 4,000 of them, very good.

But the bogus AS are really economic migrants.

But that's not what has been said on this thread. Have you read most of the comments? Asylum seekers being called scroungers, criminals, cheating the system. I wonder why their generalisations haven't been called out.

Bogus AS are cheats, by definition, they are pretending to be fleeing persecution, etc, when in reality they are economic migrants.

In a way, I don't blame them.

If you were from the Congo, with a low income, and there was a soft country, foolish enough to believe some story you tell them, wouldn't some of them attempt to go there?

I blame us.

I blame the fools in SF, PBP, and FG.

I blame the FG people who see tenants, rental income and cheap labour.

I blame the SF naive fools who think an open border would be paradise.

I blame the PC brigade, and the legal people.

• Advertisement

would you rather just moan about immigrants on an anonymous forum?

I don't moan about legal immigration.

EU immigrants = welcome.

Non-EU legal immigrants = welcome (although we should ensure that labour market gaps are filled by EU workers first)

Genuine refugees = welcome

We have accepted 4,000 genuine refugees, I wish them well, I see there is an extension to bring in 2,900 more.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Irish_Refugee_Protection_Programme_(IRPP)

Irish Refugee Protection Programme – Phase II
    In December 2019, plans were unveiled by the Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan TD, and his colleague, the Minister of State with responsibility for Equality, Immigration and Integration, David Stanton TD, were Ireland will welcome up to 2,900 refugees between 2020 and 2023 through a combination of resettlement and the new community sponsorship initiative. Click here to read the 2019 Press Release announcing the Government decision.

The new phase of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme (IRPP) will see 650 UNHCR resettlements in 2020, 700 in 2021, 750 in 2022 and 800 in 2023. The arrivals for the first two years will largely comprise Syrian refugees resident in Jordan and Lebanon, along with a pilot group of 150 Eritrean refugees resident in Ethiopia. The European Commission will provide funding of €9m to support the resettlement of 900 people between early 2020 and June 2021. The first selection mission for this second phase took place in March 2020, but was cut short due to travel restrictions owning to the Covid-119 pandemic.

So that is 4,000 + 2,900 = 6,900 refugees, that seems a good response by us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Yes and “fleeing poverty” makes one an economic migrant; and very much not our problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If this is going to be the method by which the government will deal with an alternative to Direct Provision we're in for a world of trouble. This is simply not socially sustainable.

The turnaround on descisions from first application to final appeal needs to be slashed dramatically. Deportation order issued within the week upon the final appeal failing.

Individuals from safe countries and fantastical stories shouldn't be in the system for years. The face of the activist group MASI ,Bulelani Mfaco, is a prime example. He was a student in Ireland - got a fondness for the place, and instead of applying for a work permit , he decided to declare himself a refugee on the basis that he is gay. He's from the most LGBT friendly city in Africa (Cape Town) and from a country where gay marriage is legal and LGBT rights are recognised in the legal framework. On several occasions he's declared his intention that he's not going home. He'll brazen it out and will probably be rewarded for it despite him not being a credible case in any sense of how we understand asylum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Poverty isn't a valid reason to seek asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Immigration and housing have a direct relationship. The more people we take in the more it costs to buy or rent a house. Deny it all you want, but it's an obvious fact.

There is a much more fundamental problem with housing that having no asylum seekers would do nothing to change

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

snippet from an earlier post

The Movement for Asylum Seekers in Ireland (Masi) tell us that asylum seekers should be treated the same as any Irish resident when it comes to housing. Masi’s Bulelani Mfaco says that “If I woke up tomorrow in possession of a letter from the Department of Justice saying I am entitled to stay in Ireland, the local authority would be obliged to provide me with housing”.

when am I getting my house .. Im waiting

greendom wrote: »
    There is a much more fundamental problem with housing that having no asylum seekers would do nothing to change

mathematics doesnt seem to be a strong point for the SJWs

if the housing stock is X
    if demand form Irish citizens is Y
    if demand from asylum seekers is Z

then if X = Y ... house prices are relatively stable
    if X < Y + Z ... then house prices and rent will rise

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

jmayo wrote: »
    It ranks up there with irish economists telling us the banks were as safe as houses.

Of coarse im going to quote economists when the debate was on the economical benefit of asylum seekers. I wouldn't quote a fisherman if we were debating about cattle.

Of coarse im going to quote economists when the debate was on the economical benefit of asylum seekers. I wouldn't quote a fisherman if we were debating about cattle.

shouldnt that be

economical benefit TO asylum seekers

and not

economical benefit OF asylum seekers

Well it genuinely annoys me when people use the homeless as tool to attack immigrants. And idk why you are trying to imply that i'm making some sort of profit from the immigration industry (weird comment).

Ugh, this stupid line. I agree, it is weird. I get accused all the time in these threads that I am "working for the Asylum industry" too. This is becoming a default response when anyone gives a different opinion to their own foreigner-bashing view. If you pull them up on their hypocrisy, they will report your posts to the mods for being "personally attacked" and try to escalate it to the admins when they aren't happy with the mods obvious response. This post will probably get reported aswell.

• Advertisement

RIGOLO wrote: »
    shouldnt that be

economical benefit TO asylum seekers

and not

economical benefit OF asylum seekers

No. The discussion was on this link:

"A 2017 survey of leading economists found that 34% of economists agreed with the statement "The influx of refugees into Germany beginning in the summer of 2015 will generate net economic benefits for German citizens over the succeeding decade", whereas 38% were uncertain and 6% disagreed."

No. The discussion was on this link:

But that's only opinion based ,there is no facts or figures to back it up but no suprise there ,
    I'd imagine now in the covid19 world and massive global downturn the opinions of a select few people will change.
    I'd imagine the facts will point to a massive economic bill to support , house , educate these asylum seekers in a new coivd world

Gatling wrote: »
    But that's only opinion based ,there is no facts or figures to back it up but no suprise there ,
    I'd imagine now in the covid19 world and massive global downturn the opinions of a select few people will change.
    I'd imagine the facts will point to a massive economic bill to support , house , educate these asylum seekers in a new coivd world

Ive given link to evidence that there is a net economic benefit to Asylum Seekers in the country. We are going in circles here. Post up some papers that refutes this and we can discuss them.

Ive given link to evidence that there is a net economic benefit to Asylum Seekers in the country. We are going in circles here. Post up some papers that refutes this and we can discuss them.

No .

Explain how a sudden increase of migrants who are all unemployed causes unemployment rates to drop in a country and the quality of life improves .

Not very scientific is it , pseudo journal opinions again

Actually the unemployment rates for Germany puts immigrants 14% ,the rates have been increasing every year since 2015

It may well be the case that some AS might make great workers, etc.

But that isn't the point.

If a person enters Ireland, and makes a bogus asylum claim, then they should be deported.

If they have valuable lab mkt skills, then they can immigrate through legal channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

RIGOLO wrote: »
    mathematics doesnt seem to be a strong point for the SJWs

if the housing stock is X
    if demand form Irish citizens is Y
    if demand from asylum seekers is Z

then if X = Y ... house prices are relatively stable
    if X < Y + Z ... then house prices and rent will rise

This is so obvious it hardly needs to be said yet I have friends who believe that there is no connection between supplying houses to Irish people on a housing list and automatically housing someone granted asylum.
    It’s like there’s 2 separate housing supplies. There was a time in my parents time when they felt they had to work to get a house. Now the likes of Paul Murphy, BPP , Pavee etc believe everyone should be given a House whether you’re Mags Cash or someone just arrived in the country claiming asylum without ever having contributed to the country.

Okay. Let's consider this for a moment.

One third of migrants received were young men without the skills to work beyond low end jobs (per the link I provided before). Another one third of entries are children. So, the reminder being women (of whom some may be skilled, but considering the variety of countries involved, a fair number won't be educated to third level standard), or a mixed group of ages, possibly with prior education, although it's dubious whether that education is comparable with European standards.

Children will require as much as 18 years before they become able to work, during which time they're a definite cost. The young males who arrived without education, will need to be employed in low skilled jobs, or educated up to a level where they are employable the same as Irish people. Such upskilling will require years of investment/support to ensure that language acquisition and education can be imparted. Same for the remainder groups of migrants who will need to study to not be on the lower end of job applications.

Now. Low skilled jobs are in decline. Even before covid, such positions were in decline for all manner of reasons, and we already have a native population capable of meeting the job market needs. In fact, if you look at the jobs available on a country wide scale, such jobs available are quite low.

"On top of that, recent research published by the NERI has demonstrated that both part-time and temporary employment have become more precarious on average; shorter contracts, less hours and more underemployment (part-time workers who would like a full-time job but can’t find one or would like more hours).

And what is the effect on low income workers in Ireland?

"At the same time, the share of Irish people unable to afford the basics actually grew by 2.7 percentage points to 17.8 percent (see NERI’s contribution to a recent episode of Reboot Republic on the topic).

In absolute terms, that constitutes an increase of 143,000 people (approximately equal to the entire population of County Wicklow) from 733,000 in 2018 to 876,000 a year later (in and around the population of Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Monaghan, Sligo, Mayo, Roscommon and Galway). The growth rate in deprivation was higher in 2019 than that recorded between 2010 and 2011 (1.9 pp’s) and 2011 and 2012 (2.5 pp’s) when the Irish economy was in freefall. The majority of the growth actually came from individuals suffering from three or more types of deprivation or ‘severe deprivation’, which increased from 9.9 to 12.0 percent in 2019, a very worrying development."

So, you would have us believe that refugees, asylum seekers, etc are net contributors to the economy, when it's pretty clear that they're not. Unless you're focusing on those who are educated/skilled before arriving, or are talking about an economy with a greater demand for low skilled workers (such as Germany). Ireland doesn't need more people to fill low skilled positions, because we already have a native population which meets the demand, and more.

And, based on pure logic, if we are looking at migrants who need to upskill, be educated, and learn English, it will be years... before they're up to a standard to do more than low end positions. The EU/Ireland places regulatory requirements for educational minimums on many jobs.. along with the demands of the employers themselves.

For refugees from third world nations, their educational backgrounds will likely be dismissed as being inferior because there is so much corruption and lack of investment in third level institutions. So, they'll need to study/pass a European degree, or at the very least, pass the leaving certificate... which will still limit their ability to be gainfully employed.

And lastly, Ireland is entering a recession. Covid has messed up so many systems of employment, and will have long reaching consequences on the employment market and economies throughout Europe. Bringing in refugees is not going to be a net gain... because it makes no sense to claim that, since we have enough problems already with the native population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

My next door neighbours who are of African descent have moved in next door to me into a Council provided house. They leave the lights on throughout the night and have the curtains drawn down on each window all day and night from what I can see. Could they be cultivating cannabis? Should I report them anonymously. They purchased a brand new car yesterday worth about 40000 euro.

Gatling wrote: »

No .

"No". :confused: You were given evidence to support the claim that Asylum seekers are good for a countries economy, but when your asked for evidence to back up your claims, you just say "No".

This is double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think they have to build propertys as theY need more social spacing to prevent the spread of covid.
    Rather than having 100 people in one large building .

Advertisement