Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job not what I expected

Options
  • 23-09-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I started a job at the end of March but I realise now that it's not what I expected it to be. I have tried to get my old job back but they don't have the budget to take me back. I have applied for other jobs too. There is a job in this company that I think would be a better fit for me however I haven't finished my probation yet and if I want to apply for it I must tell my manager.
    I think it's fear holding me back from telling him how I feel about the job and then there's the situation that if I don't get the other job do I just carry on what I'm doing even though the manager now knows how I feel?
    I could quit but I have a partner that is on reduced pay due to covid and two kids to look after and bills to pay off.

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

take a half day, go for an interview, no need to tell anyone anything unless you get the job, then say au revoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm a manager. I want my staff to tell me if they're unhappy or have a problem.

If a new-ish employee came to me and said they want to move to a different role, and they could convince me they would be better at that role, that would be fine and I would support the move.

One of my concerns would be the handover process (not having enough staff to do the current work, losing knowledge, etc.) so if you had some thoughts on minimising problems there that would also help.

I would not fire you for wanting to do the other role.

HOWEVER if I currently think you are crap, and have been thinking of letting you go, this could increase the chance of that happening. But it could also save you from being fired if I thought the new role is a good fit.

Are you good at your job?

Do you have a good relationship with your manager?

take a half day, go for an interview, no need to tell anyone anything unless you get the job, then say au revoir.

I think the job is in the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Can't you approach your Manager and make up a spurious story about how you love your job and Department but this new job would have been your dream ever since Jr. Infants and blah blah whatever?

Feed them **** to get where you need to be basically.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Does your contract state how long you need to be in your position before applying for another role in the company?

I’ve seen “ after probation” to 1 and 2 years in your current role.

Check before speaking to your manager just to highlight that you are aware during your meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Just before the previous recession, I landed a job that it wasn't what I expected. Unfortunately I was stuck at that stage and I spent the subsequent 5 years in a job that I hated from 9am till 5:30pm.
    I'd say don't waste the opportunity of doing what you think is best for you, just be very diplomatic with your current manager and mention something like "I enjoy this role but i think the other one would be a better fit for my skills, would you mind if I applied for it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

is the job you would like in your old company or your new company? - Its not clear.

If it the new company, then what is the issue?

Simply say that you would love to go for that position, acknowledge you are new into the company but would relish the opportunity of this new opening.

It can only be a positive once its approached in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its in the same company and I need my managers permission before applying
    OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm a manager. I want my staff to tell me if they're unhappy or have a problem.

If a new-ish employee came to me and said they want to move to a different role, and they could convince me they would be better at that role, that would be fine and I would support the move.

One of my concerns would be the handover process (not having enough staff to do the current work, losing knowledge, etc.) so if you had some thoughts on minimising problems there that would also help.

I would not fire you for wanting to do the other role.

HOWEVER if I currently think you are crap, and have been thinking of letting you go, this could increase the chance of that happening. But it could also save you from being fired if I thought the new role is a good fit.

Are you good at your job?

Do you have a good relationship with your manager?

Well I know of a girl in another position that might be a good fit for the position but I believe she might only be in her position under a year which might rule her out too.

Am I good at my job? Thats a hard question to answer as its a completely new role for me, I've literally the basic knowledge of the job. Have I made a good impression? I believe I have in some aspects yet and I seem to get along with the other team members. The company seems like a decent place to work in but I feel the role doesnt suit me.

Relationship with my manager seems to be ok I guess, it's hard to know as I've never met them in person as they are based in another county.

How would you feel if I was one of your employees, asked to join another team and then didnt get the other job?
    Does your contract state how long you need to be in your position before applying for another role in the company?

I’ve seen “ after probation” to 1 and 2 years in your current role.

Check before speaking to your manager just to highlight that you are aware during your meeting.

Not in my contract no, but in the internal jobs section, it says you have to be there a minimum of 12 months to be able to apply for another position, however this can be waivered by your manager.
    darconio wrote: »
    Just before the previous recession, I landed a job that it wasn't what I expected. Unfortunately I was stuck at that stage and I spent the subsequent 5 years in a job that I hated from 9am till 5:30pm.
    I'd say don't waste the opportunity of doing what you think is best for you, just be very diplomatic with your current manager and mention something like "I enjoy this role but i think the other one would be a better fit for my skills, would you mind if I applied for it?"

I was in a way stuck in a boring monotonous job prior to this with little chance of career progression in a small enough company, and fancied a change, although now it seems I should have stayed where I was, go into work early and finish after my 8.5 hours to spend more time with the kids etc.

The other job is something I think I would enjoy more and probably has a bit more flexibility in terms of starting hours etc but there is a chance I might not get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Talk to your manager to HR... why waste time in a job you don’t like?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

At least be up front and honest about going for the other job in the same company, if it would suit you more. Apply for it! What’s the worst that can happen? You keep you job ?

I prefer staff to tell me if they are unhappy.. at least you can work with them, everyone has skills and those skills may not be evident initially and the transfer of those skills my help your employer.

Havent even passed my probation yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pass probation first... then...If it’s a case that the job is not ‘as advertised’ you owe them zilch. You can request a meeting, bringing the job specifications / advertisement. Inform them that you read and applied for the job understanding the position, tasks and job specifications to be true and accurate. It was on this basis you applied.

Ask them to inform you why you are doing a different job that isn’t in line with the one you’ve applied for.

Inform them that you need to know a timeframe immediately as to when you can be enabled to commence working the position you applied for and was awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Good ( ie secure and paying) Jobs are hard to come by - even your old company who knows and presumably liked you can’t find space to have you back. The whole landscape and economy has changed. The job you applied for maY not exist or be viable anymore - yet they have still employed you and kept you on at full pay. How will
    you pay your mortgage/rent/food/car/bills/Christmas without an income? I would say nothing and keep my head down while working hard. You are giving them every reason to let you go without passing or extending your probation and before the year us out for ‘restructuring’ reasons - ie not a penny of ‘redundancy’ required. There are tens of thousands out of work and hungry for your job or any other job . The middle of a global recession and the collapse of multiple industries is not the time to be pedantic over job descriptions or to challenge your manager into giving you a bad review for not being committed and saying you want to leave/another job or for you to walk away from a salary - or do anything rash to put it in jeopardy.

Good ( ie secure and paying) Jobs are hard to come by - even your old company who knows and presumably liked you can’t find space to have you back. The whole landscape and economy has changed. The job you applied for maY not exist or be viable anymore - yet they have still employed you and kept you on at full pay. How will
    you pay your mortgage/rent/food/car/bills/Christmas without an income? I would say nothing and keep my head down while working hard. You are giving them every reason to let you go without passing or extending your probation and before the year us out for ‘restructuring’ reasons - ie not a penny of ‘redundancy’ required. There are tens of thousands out of work and hungry for your job or any other job . The middle of a global recession and the collapse of multiple industries is not the time to be pedantic over job descriptions or to challenge your manager into giving you a bad review for not being committed and saying you want to leave/another job or for you to walk away from a salary - or do anything rash to put it in jeopardy.

Basically what you are advocating is if somebody should get hired as a chef say in a hotel, but because it’s quiet in the hotel on certain shifts, they should be happy and compliant when they are requested / delegated to be upstairs making beds, cleaning toilets, washing windows !:)

The second you agree to take on tasks outside of your job description because of downtime / downturn in your work, you’ll never rid yourself of the ‘extra’. Never... There will be a constant tug of war for your efforts, for your time... then if you make a mistake because you are trying to do too much, the boot will be on your neck...put the boot on their necks and do the job, the associated tasks that you agreed, all in the job description, all in your agreed hours, fück them, no extras. :)

Mc Love wrote: »
    How would you feel if I was one of your employees, asked to join another team and then didnt get the other job?

Entirely depends on their attitude afterwards.

If it's a shrug of the shoulders and they get on with things, no problem, but if they're sulking and taking it out on my team or workload, then it's a problem and will end up with a talk and then go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Strumms wrote: »
    Basically what you are advocating is if somebody should get hired as a chef say in a hotel, but because it’s quiet in the hotel on certain shifts, they should be happy and compliant when they are requested / delegated to be upstairs making beds, cleaning toilets, washing windows !:)

That's correct. Good to see you being so flexible for a change!

Almost all contracts have performing duties as assigned by management stipulation.

Don't like the stipulation? Don't sign the contract. Simples.

salonfire wrote: »
    That's correct. Good to see you being so flexible for a change!

Almost all contracts have performing duties as assigned by management stipulation.

Don't like the stipulation? Don't sign the contract. Simples.

They simply don’t have those stipulations. :)

You are outrightly getting confused as regards being ‘flexible’ with being taken for a ride by an employer. The majority of employees seek to be flexible but don’t seek to become a general hand / dogs body where you get taken for a ride. You are hired as a bouncer in a nightclub on quieter nights you shouldn’t be expected to do other jobs like pulling pints :). You didn’t apply for that carry on, you didn’t agree to it and you won’t be doing it.... you’ll show up on time, every time to do the job you agreed to do..
    Contracts will stipulate stuff about shifts etc when it comes to flexibility but the job you do, noooo. Workplace flexibility emphasizes the willingness and ability to adapt to change, change as regarding that job...particularly regarding how and when work gets done... nothing else, ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Augme

Speak to your manager and say you would like to apply for the job. Don't be negative about your current job but instead focus on the positives/benefits that the new job would bring for you.

Obviously some people are weird but it would be a strange decision for the manager is this situation to be very put off by your request. Joe they might say no, but it shouldn't have a negative impact short or long term.

Strumms wrote: »
    Pass probation first... then...If it’s a case that the job is not ‘as advertised’ you owe them zilch. You can request a meeting, bringing the job specifications / advertisement. Inform them that you read and applied for the job understanding the position, tasks and job specifications to be true and accurate. It was on this basis you applied.

Ask them to inform you why you are doing a different job that isn’t in line with the one you’ve applied for.

Inform them that you need to know a timeframe immediately as to when you can be enabled to commence working the position you applied for and was awarded.

It more or less is what it is described but its not what I thought it would be. Its a lot more client focused and I've never really been at the coalface so to speak so that's an added hurdle.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Entirely depends on their attitude afterwards.

If it's a shrug of the shoulders and they get on with things, no problem, but if they're sulking and taking it out on my team or workload, then it's a problem and will end up with a talk and then go from there.

Thats the thing, I would have no other choice but to get on with things. When you say workload, that can be an interesting point as while I am helping the team out with most things, I definitely feel like I could be doing more (but I dont have as much knowledge as them - i certainly had the basic information about the job before I joined, I suppose the good thing is they must have seen something in me to want to give the job to me)

Told my manager and said I will pass my probation and said he has no problem with me applying - its with HR now as to whether they let me apply. Said that he would prefer not to lose me which has given me a boost in confidence I must say.

• Advertisement

Just an update: Went for job, didnt get it, manager knows and is very understanding about my situation. Wants to try and develop my career along with the BAU work which is very pleasing. I'm still applying for other roles in the company (up to 6 in a year is the max) so will keep going regardless. It has gotten better in some regards, but there are days I wish I was doing something else.

Advertisement