Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary school teacher qualification

• 23-09-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    my wife was thinking of doing a post grad to become a secondary school teacher, I contacted Mary I assuming they would be the best college to speak to, they said that the relevant qualification is the Professional Masters in Education and that this is not available in any college in Limerick and that you would need to do it in
    UCC or NUIG - I was surprised to hear this.
    Anybody here know anything about doing this course and if this is correct, and if so, can you do it online or do you have to go to Cork or Galway to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    my wife was thinking of doing a post grad to become a secondary school teacher, I contacted Mary I assuming they would be the best college to speak to, they said that the relevant qualification is the Professional Masters in Education and that this is not available in any college in Limerick and that you would need to do it in
    Anybody here know anything about doing this course and if this is correct, and if so, can you do it online or do you have to go to Cork or Galway to do it?

No postgrads available in Limerick. Your wife would have to go to Cork, Galway, Dublin or else try Hibernia (online for the most part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

hi guys

My understanding is that success in teaching is a very nepotistic and incestuous affair.

Basically if you don't know someone you've got not chance...

Is this still accurate? Was it ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I thought UL do a PME program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My understanding is that success in teaching is a very nepotistic and incestuous affair.

Basically if you don't know someone you've got not chance...

Is this still accurate? Was it ever?

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

hi guys

You would want to check if her primary degree is on the teaching council autoquals list. If not, after she does the masters she will also have to apply to the teaching council to recognize her degree. They can refuse it, accept it or require make up of shortfalls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Advertisement