Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won’t let me connect to PSN

Options
  • 23-09-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

First thread here.

For the last week now I can’t sign into my PSN. The IP address is successful, internet connection successful. I’ve no other issues with any other device in my house.

Even when I try to log into the PSN App or the PlayStation website I get a “connection to server timed out”

However, when I connect the PS4 to the hotspot on my phone I can sign into PSN on the PS4, the App and website.

This happen to anyone else or have a work around?

Recently purchased the PS5 on preorder, really hope the issue is resolved before then.

I contacted Sony and they told me it’s my provider.

I’m with Virgin Media, modem is Hub 3.0, living in Kildare.

Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If it works on the hotspot and not on the virgin internet, it's very unlikely to be an issue with Sony. Just checked there and I can access it and I'm with Virgin. Could you check the logs on the router for your requests maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I agree with sony, it would be an isp issue.
    There is minor checks you can do before contacting them, as they will probably ask you to do the same.
    1. Reboot the modem. Like a pc, they have ram and resources, a reboot can heal many ills!
    2. If you are connected to the modem via wifi, if possible try via lan instead, changing the settings on the ps4 as you do so for a cabled connection.
    3. if wifi is only method available, reset your internet settings on the ps4, re-adding the connection as a new connection.
    4. Harder to try, but if you have a friend of family on same provider, pop over to their house and try playstation there. Dont have to do this, just an option!
    5. Any guff from virgin, just point out that you have confirmed it is working on another connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have a media Hub 3.0 and my son's PS4 works fine on LAN and Wifi, maybe have a dig around in the router settings see if anything looks dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GraMur10

RedXIV wrote: »
    If it works on the hotspot and not on the virgin internet, it's very unlikely to be an issue with Sony. Just checked there and I can access it and I'm with Virgin. Could you check the logs on the router for your requests maybe?

Sorry, I’m not the most tech savvy. What will I do when I check the logs requests?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

GraMur10 wrote: »
    Sorry, I’m not the most tech savvy. What will I do when I check the logs requests?

Might be best just popping them up here and people will be able to help decipher the results :)

Any other sites you have trouble accessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I was having trouble connecting to PSN with Virgin Media last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GraMur10

phill106 wrote: »
    I agree with sony, it would be an isp issue.
    There is minor checks you can do before contacting them, as they will probably ask you to do the same.
    1. Reboot the modem. Like a pc, they have ram and resources, a reboot can heal many ills!
    2. If you are connected to the modem via wifi, if possible try via lan instead, changing the settings on the ps4 as you do so for a cabled connection.
    3. if wifi is only method available, reset your internet settings on the ps4, re-adding the connection as a new connection.
    4. Harder to try, but if you have a friend of family on same provider, pop over to their house and try playstation there. Dont have to do this, just an option!
    5. Any guff from virgin, just point out that you have confirmed it is working on another connection.

I’ve restarted the modem several times.

If I reboot the modem, I won’t have to type in any details myself will I? It’ll just input all the IP and MAC details itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

GraMur10 wrote: »
    I’ve restarted the modem several times.

If I reboot the modem, I won’t have to type in any details myself will I? It’ll just input all the IP and MAC details itself?

reboot is the same as restart, so you have already done that.
    WHat you are mention there is a reset of the modem, where all the settings get put back to default.
    I would only recommend that adter talking to your ISP and exhausting other options i already listed.

Advertisement