Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Road World Championships 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Really nasty crash there for Dygert, hope shes alright. She was cruising to victory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Why are we not sending any women to these World Championships?

Watching the TT now, I reckon Dygert's got this one.

And...... maybe not. Hope she’s ok after that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Magnus bagstedt on eurosport would put you to sleep

Chris871 wrote: »
    Really nasty crash there for Dygert, hope shes alright. She was cruising to victory too.

That was some crash

I think he's good when he's on with Stevens.

Just saw the replay of the crash looked like a lock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Just saw the replay of the crash looked like a lock up.

I though the rear flatted (or the tub started to come loose...)as she went into the corner. Looked nasty. Hope she is OK , she looked to be on a very good run

edit: NBC are broadcasting that she is conscious and talking . Looks like she fell/rolled 10m or more below the road into shrubbery along the field.....

Seeing it again I think it's like you say re: the tub, front end was twitching like mad. The good thing though if that can be said was the fact the car and moto were right there with her and saw her go over so help was on hand right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Can he though? Maybe there is an exception this year but usually the rule is if you ride elite you can't go back to under 23.

yes, exception made this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

difficult one to call - belgium will be very strong so WVA could do it. Nibali is on home soil. i've heard Michael Matthews tipped. if Big Tom is riding he might be in with a shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If only the protective padding was extended for a few metres more :(

EisG7FOWsAYl64f?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The indications online are that Chlie Dygert has suffered a pretty horrific injury to her left leg, knee. I've not looked for images and have no wish to.
    I bet they 'fix' the padding on that corner after this...

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The indications online are that Chlie Dygert has suffered a pretty horrific injury to her left leg, knee. I've not looked for images and have no wish to.
    I bet they 'fix' the padding on that corner after this...

I accidentally saw a photo of her knee after the crash. It's really, really not nice. Be careful if you're on Twitter etc.

I accidentally saw a photo of her knee after the crash. It's really, really not nice. Be careful if you're on Twitter etc.

I had the misfortune also, no reason to take that photo in the first place let alone share it on social media. People need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Hopefully thats not career threatening, poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Awful crash and injury for Dygert. Poor positioning on the bike (arms still in the aero bars) and hitting a bump most likely contributed to the crash. Hopefully, she makes a full recovery, but it will be a long process.

Tiesj Benoot was fortunate not to have similar injuries after an almost identical crash into a barrier at the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Fuglsang for the RR. He's done shag all since winning the Tour of Lombardy, flew under the radar at Tirreno-Adriatico, but I think he will have been focused on this one for a long time.

Dan has pulled out of the RR due to 'team commitments'

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/dan-martin-out-of-world-championships/28585

So now it's just Nico, Mullen & Ben Healy.

Think Dan is down for Fleche and LBL next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Dan has pulled out of the RR due to 'team commitments'

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/dan-martin-out-of-world-championships/28585

So now it's just Nico, Mullen & Ben Healy.

Has been called up to ride the Giro?

He's riding La Vuelta

I don't think so. His plan is to ride La Fleche Wallonne on next Wednesday and then LBL on Sunday week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I had the misfortune also, no reason to take that photo in the first place let alone share it on social media. People need to take a good hard look at themselves.
    She's tweeted it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Men's TT on Eurosport from 1:20pm for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Why are we not sending any women to these World Championships?

Watching the TT now, I reckon Dygert's got this one.

I know we don't have much chance at most races in the WC most years but CI really annoy me by not even trying. The whole set up seems a bit of a joke when it comes to the worlds and even when we have guys that are favourites we do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know we don't have much chance at most races in the WC most years but CI really annoy me by not even trying. The whole set up seems a bit of a joke when it comes to the worlds and even when we have guys that are favourites we do nothing

Only a top form Dan Martin has a hope of winning this one, with a very long shot on Dunbar.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only a top form Dan Martin has a hope of winning this one, with a very long shot on Dunbar.

I agree I don't think we have any favourites this year or most years but all the more reason to just go for a long shot. Most years the team just sit in the peleton waiting for nothing and the only time I can remember us in a break was Conor and he done that of his own accord.

Its probably cost but when you see some obscure nations with a team of 1 or 2 at the worlds in both mens and womens you wonder why we cant send a team even if its a mix of our WT riders with riders all the way down to the best domestic riders. Must be a few pissed of pro conti guys or guys racing the domestic scene who could have filled the 2 slots available and then Dans slot. And we havent exactly covered ourselves in glory with the few WT riders we have at the worlds the last few years

neris wrote: »
    Its probably cost but when you see some obscure nations with a team of 1 or 2 at the worlds in both mens and womens you wonder why we cant send a team even if its a mix of our WT riders with riders all the way down to the best domestic riders. Must be a few pissed of pro conti guys or guys racing the domestic scene who could have filled the 2 slots available and then Dans slot. And we havent exactly covered ourselves in glory with the few WT riders we have at the worlds the last few years

I understand when it's in another continent and I'll excuse this year because of Covid but even CI can surely afford to send full teams to European destinations and I'm pretty sure we left empty spaces for Yorkshire

Van Vleuten cleared to ride the road race tomorrow. Chapeau to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Van Vleuten cleared to ride the road race tomorrow. Chapeau to her.

Aye that's gotta be soo painful, hope she wins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I agree I don't think we have any favourites this year or most years but all the more reason to just go for a long shot. Most years the team just sit in the peleton waiting for nothing and the only time I can remember us in a break was Conor and he done that of his own accord.

You forgot about Brammeier in 2010 nearly created the greatest upset in World Championship history when he was in a 5 man breakaway that almost lapped the entire field on the finishing circuit. If they had succeeded the rest of the peloton would have to have been pulled out.

IIRC all subsequent WC courses had to have longer finishing circuits as a result

Advertisement