Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Road World Championships 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭griffin100

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not World Championships relatesd but will Ireland have anyone in the Giro or Vuelta?

CyclingFever has Eddie Dunbar down for the Giro and Nico on Sunwebs long list for the Vuelta.

Just flicked on Healy up towards the front of the peloton, must be a huge day out for him in that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

griffin100 wrote: »
    CyclingFever has Eddie Dunbar down for the Giro and Nico on Sunwebs long list for the Vuelta.

I'd be surprised if Dunbar started the Giro after his injury a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Going to be hours of this "back me in my day" on eurosport/gcn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

To be fair , what have the lads themselves done on the pro conti and pro teams ?

Eddie , rode a fine Giro, but very little afterwards . Sadly this season has been a write off due to Covid and he was unfortunate to break his collar bone

Healy has a fine productive season last year winning a stage at L’Avenir, thus being the first Irish man to win a stage

Mullens , oh dear . I know he has had injuries but he can’t even get a decent top 5 in most ITTs he takes part in lately and some of them are hardly involving the elite . He doesn’t do climbs and ITT is his thing and he’s not really producing

Dan Martin sadly has been off the radar since TDF 2018 , partly due to injury and issues with UAE last season . And his record at Olympics n worlds isn’t the greatest . It’s not like he is incapable of winning and placing in one day events

Nico? Well he’s never going to win a big one , but he had a nice Vuelta last year until injury and his TDF performance working for the team makes him a good team player

I assume that the organisation and facilities and even a place to change but be typically Irish (Think FAI / Saipan) compared to the big guns like Belgium Or even Britain but ,we just don’t have the riders on top form going into the worlds and that’s hard,y cycling Ireland’s fault , least at senior level - u23 and junior , that’s a valid point

What have the other domestic riders done Internationally ? No, they shouldn’t be getting the free spot , travel and track suit simply because there’s a spot open, they should be getting into the contention for squad selection if they meet a minimum standard

Nicolas Roche won stage 4 of Tour L'avenir in 2006 ?

Dan Martin is not riding as wants to do well in classics including LBL and La Fleche

Nicolas Roche is riding the Vuelta and I presume Dan Martin will too given his lack of results at the Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Kazakhstan rider in the break has just taken a musette that looks to have an entire shopping trolley in it, and possibly a medium sized fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Coverage on BBC 2 now just starting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Only 11 minutes in and BBC are missing. Please bring back Carlton

Mullen abandoned.

Seriously BBC. Half an hour now can you just show the jaysus race.

At least a bit of eye candy in the studio for de lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Watching on BBC red button and it’s just the race if that helps anyone

Nico is up near the front. Beside Roglic for most of one climb

Dodge wrote: »
    Watching on BBC red button and it’s just the race if that helps anyone

Nico is up near the front. Beside Roglic for most of one climb

Ah perfect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Just crossed the finish line there, Nico still looking comfortable at the front

Very hard to do anything in this race without someone helping you and sheltering you from the wind ...its like a 7 hour fight for positioning and not very easy if alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

why are they talking to a footballer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Because he is known and a keen and knowledgeable cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just starting watching the race now. The peloton is a lot bigger than I thought it would be at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Because he is known and a keen and knowledgeable cyclist

I think there's an element of filling time too and not quite trusting the general audience to stick with the coverage. Also, they're sending the message that cycling must be good if a premier footballer watches it. That logic diminishes the sport if it's implied it has to be validated by a famous footballer/other watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The good people of Imola wil be fishing discarded bidons out of the ditches for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Who is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Who is he?

Ben Foster, Watford keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Is Ben Healy still there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You Tube stream just shut down, I'll have to kick the young fella off the PS4.

Is Ben Healy still there ?

He's definitely not in the peloton anyway

Nico struggling at the back of the peloton now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Doc07

I thinks he’s done well to still be in the reduced peloton at this stage with no team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Beside some big big names too. Peloton thinned out hugely in that last climb

Belgium looking the strongest

Setting it up for Pogacar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mullen abandoned.

No surprise. I had forgotten he was still a cyclist. Move to Trek seems to have sent him backwards. Whats gone on with him ?

BBC : "Gasperoto went back for a chat " :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't think he'll do it but would be great if Pog did win.

Advertisement