Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey Through Dublin in 1966

Options
  • 23-09-2020 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Six minute clip on RTE archives of a trip around Dublin in 1966

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/0214/367731-journey-through-dublin-city-1966/

City Centre locations, lots of Dame Street.

Interesting to see buildings beside City Hall, they were demolished some time after, didn't look too bad.

What was left was tidied up in time for the Millennium, a small park was developed, park is probably over stating it.

This are was subsequently developed into Barnardo Square.

One of the only still existing shops on Dame Street is The Pen Corner.

There is a restaurant on Dame Street called Chopsick, I think where Chinese restaurant Fans used to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

That was pretty cool nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

imme wrote: »
    Interesting to see buildings beside City Hall, they were demolished some time after, didn't look too bad.

What was left was tidied up in time for the Millennium, a small park was developed, park is probably over stating it.

This are was subsequently developed into Barnardo Square.

Such a wasted opportunity. Could have been a very nice attraction but it's pretty much a dead space with a horrendous looking building plonked in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

serious lack of traffic lights compared to now but lots of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

VonLuck wrote: »
    Such a wasted opportunity. Could have been a very nice attraction but it's pretty much a dead space with a horrendous looking building plonked in the middle.

The new Barnardo Square?

Yes, the space is sharp, cold and uncomfortable.

It probably cost something shocking. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Cool.
    Never knew the cars used to drive in the opposite direction on the Quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Almost no traffic lights. Also, all the delivery trucks were open with tarps covering the loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Casey78 wrote: »
    Cool.
    Never knew the cars used to drive in the opposite direction on the Quays.

Would probably make sense to reverse the current direction again.

But honestly I have given up mostly, but try to stay positive. The Bus Connects thing is going to take ten years I reckon.

Back to the bunker for me!

Enjoyed the video. My late mother worked in Dame Street back in the day (Gings) and cycled all over, bless her.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gings_of_Dame_Street_Dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I always find these videos fascinating. I didn't realise there was that much traffic back then, there seemed to be sh*tloads.
    It kind of looked to me like there were buildings right up onto Dame st where the central bank is now?
    It actually looks even worse for pedestrians back then, cars just flying about the place.
    The other thing I noticed is that the buildings haven't really changed at all, on the route we were taken through.
    And Doyle's pub was called Flynn's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I always find these videos fascinating. I didn't realise there was that much traffic back then, there seemed to be sh*tloads.
    It kind of looked to me like there were buildings right up onto Dame st where the central bank is now?
    It actually looks even worse for pedestrians back then, cars just flying about the place.
    The other thing I noticed is that the buildings haven't really changed at all, on the route we were taken through.
    And Doyle's pub was called Flynn's!

I'm almost certain that was a Jury's hotel. It was knocked to make way for the Central Bank

Become Doyles in the 80's. They also own Bowes Pub next door. Although they only bought that in the mid 00's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Unusual to see no junkies ...

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that was a Jury's hotel. It was knocked to make way for the Central Bank

Become Doyles in the 80's. They also own Bowes Pub next door. Although they only bought that in the mid 00's

One thing I found nice is the lack of road markings and clutter all over the place kind of makes the city look a bit more natural or something. It's an absolute sh*tshow now with signage and random boxes sticking out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The buildings the Central Bank replaced were Commercial Buildings - a sized down clone of this was built at 90 degrees to the site afterwards - and the original Jurys Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

L1011 wrote: »
    The buildings the Central Bank replaced were Commercial Buildings - a sized down clone of this was built at 90 degrees to the site afterwards - and the original Jurys Hotel.

I remember my Father talking about the bar in Jury's, by all accounts it was beautiful and something of a landmark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

All the cars were really small.

Even the big ones. :)

ShyMets wrote: »
    I remember my Father talking about the bar in Jury's, by all accounts it was beautiful and something of a landmark

The original bar is in Zurich now surreally.

I was actually in that pub last year, very swish area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Always fascinating to look back .
    The amount of jaywalking was scary. I saw a woman wearing an old fashioned shawl and many with the headscarf. Middle aged men still given to wearing hats. Thought I saw a dollop of horse dung on Dame St.
    A young cyclist nearly got creamed passing a left turning car on Westmoreland! Some things never change.

boardise wrote: »
    Always fascinating to look back .
    The amount of jaywalking was scary. I saw a woman wearing an old fashioned shawl and many with the headscarf. Middle aged men still given to wearing hats. Thought I saw a dollop of horse dung on Dame St.
    A young cyclist nearly got creamed passing a left turning car on Westmoreland! Some things never change.

Well it's weird because if you look at photos a couple of decades before that, Dame St and College Green were brimming with pedestrians walking all over.
    I wonder when they decided ok people don't matter any more lets put this motorway with no traffic lights and cars speeding through the city centre? People running for their lives!
    The motor industry really played a trick on cities.

Dublin Corporation started their planning for massive road widening in the 30s and didn't really drop it until the start of the 2000s.

Substantial areas of the city were left in limbo falling in to dereliction, or actually flattened for decades; and all to give us a few disconnected surface-level dual carriageways in the end.

There isn't a book written specifically on the subject like there is for Belfasts similar insanity (albeit theirs was better planned, non-surface). If I could ever get any lengthy writing actually finished it might be something to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I never knew that and I drank there in Zurich regularly in late 90s/early 00s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's colour versions of that video on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Saw this picture on Twitter. A good view of the old Barnardos Square area in 1949.

https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/1312857096665419777.

Advertisement