Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when Mortgage is paid off?

• 24-09-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭

So im reaching the arsse end of my payments on this, probably finito by year end.

What happens after? Do i get the deeds sent to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Probably depends on your bank if they want you to take back the deeds. But chances are that when you signed your mortgage, the small print of the contract said that your house would remain as security for that loan and any future loans you took out with that bank.

So as long as you remain a customer of that bank, they may just hang on to the deeds in case you take out any loans from them in the future. When you've made the last repayment, ask for a closing statement showing a zero balance to be 100% sure that the loan is cleared and then do nothing, see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭KingCong

They'll keep the deeds until you request them. See more info in this article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It's at this point the missus starts looking at you and thinking what do you I need this fella around for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

They keep them until you request the Deeds be released back to you in writing. Just worth noting that banks no longer provide safekeeping options so if you don’t have somewhere safe and fireproof at home may be worth considering leaving them there.

Advertisement