Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor seating in Swords

Options
  • 24-09-2020 12:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see a row of little outdoor tents have been set up on decking opposite the Bank of Ireland on Main St today.

Interested to see which restaurants are participating, but certainly looks like Cafe Tara is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I see a row of little outdoor tents have been set up on decking opposite the Bank of Ireland on Main St today.

Interested to see which restaurants are participating, but certainly looks like Cafe Tara is.

I think Betsy is also as they seem to be open

Cafe Tara is lovely for lunch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wonder would the Wine Room or Shaker & Vine also be in on it.

And speaking of that stretch, does anyone know what's opening in the old Taylors/Londis building?
    The scaffolding has come down and it's a very big space.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Currently open to my knowledge:

The Old Schoolhouse (Outdoors)
    The Tartan Cafe (Outdoors)
    and a couple of other cafes on the main street I don't know the name of.
    The Brew in Ballyboughal (Outdoors), well worth a trip imho.

Booking recommended!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Inquitus wrote: »
    Currently open to my knowledge:

The Old Schoolhouse (Outdoors)
    The Tartan Cafe (Outdoors)
    and a couple of other cafes on the main street I don't know the name of.
    The Brew in Ballyboughal (Outdoors), well worth a trip imho.

Booking recommended!

The Old Schoolhouse had to close yesterday. All the staff are being tested for Covid because one member tested positive this week. They're also deep cleaning the premises. Fair play to them, they're being completely open and honest about it.

The Old Schoolhouse had to close yesterday. All the staff are being tested for Covid because one member tested positive this week. They're also deep cleaning the premises. Fair play to them, they're being completely open and honest about it.

Didn't know that, I ate there on Sat night. TBH its getting too cold for outdoor evening dining unless you have patio heaters like The Old Schoolhouse do.

• Advertisement

Gourmet Food Parlour have a very limited first come first serve outdoor seating setup on North St too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Gourmet Food Parlour have a very limited first come first serve outdoor seating setup on North St too.

No heating though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Was onto the Betsy they are not open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I wonder would the Wine Room or Shaker & Vine also be in on it.

And speaking of that stretch, does anyone know what's opening in the old Taylors/Londis building?
    The scaffolding has come down and it's a very big space.

A new gym

Interesting!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Any idea who the massive outdoor seating area on the main street is for? Just Betsys or have a few of the restaurants along there come together?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The seating along Main St. is a 'parklet' put in by Fingal County Council :)

The Old Schoolhouse reopened today, they've been given the all clear and also had the premises cleaned.

Swords Tidy Towns facebook page implies that any restaurant or café can use it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Dizzyblonde and Pinkypinky, I have been saying to my wife for years that they should build structures like this on both sides of the street incorporating patio heaters, to allow outside dining, having a coffee etc. etc, and indeed making the whole road a pedestrian zone should be considered. Its something done very sucessfully in Europe to allow outdoor dining in the Winter months.

Went to the Wine House with the missus last night, they have a huge heated seating area out the back, and up some stairs, seats more than the indoors restaurant, I never knew it was there! Defo the best outdoor eating area I have visited in NCD so far.

Edit: It's heated decently too, so no need to wear heavy jumpers or a jacket which is nice!

Advertisement