Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work place is wrecking my mental health

• 24-09-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I honestly don't know where I am going with this post, but I need to rant. I have been working for this company for a month and it is the worst company I think I've ever come across. I actually finish up tomorrow as I got offered another job (which actually relates to what I want to do) but the thought of even staying until tomorrow makes me feel ill.

Basically, the company is a call center. And it is probably the worst one in Ireland. Between supervisors point blank refusing to speak to customers when a customer asks to speak to one, to the lies we were told during recruitment, to the at home equipment that just doesn't work (and then it's made out to be your fault), to the absolutely appalling training and finally the fact I was lied to and told I had to do 2 weeks notice when it's clear in my contract that I only have to do one.

I genuinely feel sick going to bed at night because I know I have to wake up and just wait to be blamed for system errors and not knowing what to do when we weren't trained on those topics. My anxiety was at an all time low before I started this job and now I'm having multiple panic attacks a day. This whole thing is wrecking havoc on my mental health. Their turnover is so so high, and now I know why.

I wasn't the first person to leave either. One of the other people I started with left also, and he wasn't made do any notice. Everyone else I started with is looking for other jobs. Its the worst run company, with incompetent managers and supervisors, a poor IT crowd and badly trained phone operators.

Have you ever worked for a company like this?

*Thank you for all the advice, it is so appreciated! I really didn’t expect any as I was just ranting really lol. I think everyone around me is sick of me giving out so I just needed to vent but again, thank you!*
    Tagged:

Comments

Seriously stay in bed tomorrow, you say you have another job to go to, if I were you id be calling in sick with a kidney infection or something that wont cause covid hysteria - You say you feel sick and having panic attacks anyway. Life is far to short and I'm not trying to be insensitive here but a place like that will have long forgotten about you by next Friday. do yourself a favour and stay at home tomorrow and take care yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I honestly don't know where I am going with this post, but I need to rant. I have been working for this company for a month and it is the worst company I think I've ever come across. I actually finish up tomorrow as I got offered another job (which actually relates to what I want to do) but the thought of even staying until tomorrow makes me feel ill.

Basically, the company is a call center. And it is probably the worst one in Ireland. Between supervisors point blank refusing to speak to customers when a customer asks to speak to one, to the lies we were told during recruitment, to the at home equipment that just doesn't work (and then it's made out to be your fault), to the absolutely appalling training and finally the fact I was lied to and told I had to do 2 weeks notice when it's clear in my contract that I only have to do one.

I genuinely feel sick going to bed at night because I know I have to wake up and just wait to be blamed for system errors and not knowing what to do when we weren't trained on those topics. My anxiety was at an all time low before I started this job and now I'm having multiple panic attacks a day. This whole thing is wrecking havoc on my mental health. Their turnover is so so high, and now I know why.

I wasn't the first person to leave either. One of the other people I started with left also, and he wasn't made do any notice. Everyone else I started with is looking for other jobs. Its the worst run company, with incompetent managers and supervisors, a poor IT crowd and badly trained phone operators.

Would you consider getting therapy?

A silly call centre job shouldn't be affecting you this much.

I'm not saying "toughen up" or it's your fault, but it sounds like you need to learn some better coping skills, as well as some perspective skills! Things can always be so much worse and it's good to be able to keep things in context and realise your job and all the bullshít means nothing.

I love working for chaotic places like the one you described as it's so easy to get promoted. All you have to do is present solutions to the person who can promote you.

I see work as a bit of a game and it makes things much easier. If I worked in your place I would see it as an opportunity to get promoted. With that mentality, it's very difficult for my mental health to get wrecked.

I hope you can understand the spirit of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you are almost describing my call center experience all be it 19 years ago....

The reply about coping skills while well meaning really isn’t the direction. Why should people have to ‘cope’.

Having to ‘cope’ or ‘put up with’ stuff that’s happening, that shouldn’t be happening full stop. I know as I’ve been there. You put so much of your energy into coping and putting up with stuff that it takes so much out of you...

You are thinking about your day on the bus / drive on the way in, you are disassembling your day, what went wrong, on the journey home, over dinner too.

You should arrive for work happy, go through your day happy and leave in the evening, leave in the same frame of mind ...

This idea of coping skills... if somebody tried to mug you walking through temple bar, Gardai arrived... “ well sorry to hear that, but you know, no point in being upset or down, where are your coping skills ?” You’d suggest quite rightly they’d jump in the Liffey.

Work environments now just seem to be ever acceptable environments where people can be enabled to get bullied, harassed, stressed.. needs to change.

Strumms wrote: »
    The reply about coping skills while well meaning really isn’t the direction. Why should people have to ‘cope’.

This idea of coping skills... if somebody tried to mug you walking through temple bar, Gardai arrived... “ well sorry to hear that, but you know, no point in being upset or down, where are your coping skills ?” You’d suggest quite rightly they’d jump in the Liffey.

It is absurd to compare a crappy job with being mugged.

No one would advise a victim of a violent attack to develop better coping skills.

In the workplace, in a crappy job, where your mental health is being destroyed... even a psychologist would advise working on coping skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Phone in sick tomorrow, move on. Some workplaces are awful, don’t spoil your evening thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You have my sympathies, I know how it feel sick at the thought of going to go to work.

I am not one to phone in sick unless I am sick but given your circumstances I would phone in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP, dont bother your arse going in tomorrow, call in sick.

Sounds like a horrible place to work.

The max burn out rate with call centres is usually 6 months.

Enjoy your evening, open a bottle of red or white , light the fire , put the feet up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anonymous765

OMM 0000 wrote: »

I'm not saying "toughen up" or it's your fault, but it sounds like you need to learn some better coping skills, as well as some perspective skills! Things can always be so much worse and it's good to be able to keep things in context and realise your job and all the bullshít means nothing.

I love working for chaotic places like the one you described as it's so easy to get promoted. All you have to do is present solutions to the person who can promote you.

I see work as a bit of a game and it makes things much easier. If I worked in your place I would see it as an opportunity to get promoted. With that mentality, it's very difficult for my mental health to get wrecked.

I don’t take offence to your post at all ☺️ But it’s not the call center job I can’t cope with. The customers, although sometimes a bit difficult, are absolutely fine. I worked my way through college in customer service jobs. I have no issues dealing with people.

But when a customer has put in numerous complaints about how their investigation has been handled and they know that my hands are tied and I can’t do no more, they want to speak to a supervisor. So when i ring up that supervisor they completely ignore that request and say “ok say this *insert whatever they say*”

Then I’ve to go back to the customer and tell them whatever the supervisor has said and naturally they get angry. They wanted to speak to a supervisor and they know damn well that the supervisors can’t be bothered and that’s why they’re still speaking to me.

It’s the management I have issues with. Because when things escalate (which often happens given the department I’m in) and management need and should step in, they don’t. So the agents are sitting there with an angry customer not knowing what to do. And when the customer isn’t satisfied it’s all your fault.

Customer service I can cope with, ****ty management not so much.

No one would advise a victim of a violent attack to develop better coping skills.

In the workplace, in a crappy job, where your mental health is being destroyed... even a psychologist would advise working on coping skills.

Are you a psychologist ? Or do you have an equivalent qualification that can inform you as to what a psychologist would or should advise ? If you are not and don’t the only absurdity is what you have just posted, which is in fact as absurd as anything I’ve read here.

They simply would not advocate ‘coping skills’ unless to do with a minor issue but to seek a fix, a resolution is the preferred goal. My girlfriend is a psychologist as is one of my best friends. I can tell you that in the situation being discussed, you are just wrong.

Are you a psychologist ? Or do you have an equivalent qualification that can inform you as to what a psychologist would or should advise ? If you are not and don’t the only absurdity is what you have just posted, which is in fact as absurd as anything I’ve read here.

They simply would not advocate ‘coping skills’ unless to do with a minor issue but to seek a fix, a resolution is the preferred goal. My girlfriend is a psychologist as is one of my best friends. I can tell you that in the situation being discussed, you are just wrong. Bullying needs to be resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Go to work. Unplug your phone and put up your feet. And enjoy. If your new job is secure, enjoy burning some bridges. I guarantee the managers will steer clear of you as no disciplinary process can now touch you, and will be scared you will berate and humiliate them in front of your soon to be ex colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anonymous765

you are almost describing my call center experience all be it 19 years ago....

Having to ‘cope’ or ‘put up with’ stuff that’s happening, that shouldn’t be happening full stop. I know as I’ve been there. You put so much of your energy into coping and putting up with stuff that it takes so much out of you...

You are thinking about your day on the bus / drive on the way in, you are disassembling your day, what went wrong, on the journey home, over dinner too.

You should arrive for work happy, go through your day happy and leave in the evening, leave in the same frame of mind ...

Work environments now just seem to be ever acceptable environments where people can be enabled to get bullied, harassed, stressed.. needs to change.

All call centres must be the same then lol.

Yes, having studied psychology in college I don’t necessarily agree with ‘coping skills’ either but I do try to understand where everyone is coming from. Especially when I put this on the internet lol.

But yes, I agree with you. Work shouldn’t feel like a chore or something your dread doing, and if it does you’re in the wrong job.

I couldn’t imagine doing this job for 19 years- well done to you for being able to do it for so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Or just do the common sense thing and leave the job and look for a better one. Crap jobs and horrible people are a reality and no amount of coping skills can change the fact that some jobs are toxic.

OP vote with your feet and just get out of there. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Sounds like Abtran in Cork... Stay in Bed OP and look forward to your new Job and best of luck too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

What a kip of a place that sounds like.

Unless your really badly stuck for the weeks wages then call in sick with "insert excuse".

Call centres can be hell holes to work in due to the lack of internal support you get from your supervisors.

They simply would not advocate ‘coping skills’ unless to do with a minor issue but to seek a fix, a resolution is the preferred goal. My girlfriend is a psychologist as is one of my best friends. I can tell you that in the situation being discussed, you are just wrong. Bullying needs to be resolved.

All you have to do is google "therapy stress coping skills" and you'll see it is one of the most basic things a therapist does with a client who has problems with stress.

Here's literally thousands of academic papers on this topic:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=therapy+stress+and+coping+skills&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

You're wrong on this one. Let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭sham58107

OP as others have said just stay home tomorrow, even if you did not have a job to go to next week.
    Nothing is worth that pressure, you will end up sick and then the company will probably let you go. Health is way more important than a job, if you are sick can you work ? no.
    Get out and do not worry anymore, life is too short, put the feet up and look forward to next week, a new chapter !
    Good luck with everything

All you have to do is google "therapy stress coping skills" and you'll see it is one of the most basic things a therapist does with a client who has problems with stress.

Here's literally thousands of academic papers on this topic:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=therapy+stress+and+coping+skills&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

You're wrong on this one. Let it go.

I’ll take the opinions of actual real life psychologists over your googling :)

I’ve nothing to let go, aside from an amateur lecturing the Internet based on a google search or two. Great job !

I’ll take the opinions of actual real life psychologists over your googling :)

I’ve nothing to let go, aside from an amateur lecturing the Internet based on a google search or two. Great job !

Ah yeah, all those academic papers are wrong.

Stop trying to "win" by doubling down on stupidity.

Anyone who has any experience with therapy knows coping skills are one of the first things you learn. But I know you will need to pretend otherwise, because god forbid you are wrong online. No one cares.

I know you'll need the last word so go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lads, get a room. You do this in every bloody thread :/

• Advertisement

Lads, get a room. You do this in every bloody thread :/

Not true...

First disagreement I've had with Strumms I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Doesn't happen to be based in Santry does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wasn't the first person to leave either. One of the other people I started with left also, and he wasn't made do any notice.

Made to do notice?

I am surprised that you can't see that they can't make you do a damn thing. It isn't that they didn't "make" the other guy do his notice, it is that they probably had zero choice in the matter, he just walked because he knew he could.

You hate the place, you have another job lined up, I wouldn't set another foot in there ever again and there is not a damn thing they could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Jesus OP I could have written that same post 5 years ago.

No job is worth sacrificing your mental health to that extent. I walked out of that job because my mental and physical health deteriorated so much because of the stress and anxiety.

I'd leave, at the end of the day you are another number to them.

Counselling isnt a bad suggestion either. I was so broken after that job that I started going and it really helped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I ....my hands are tied and I can’t do no more, ....

These kinds of blocks tend to be cultural, and may exist at the team level or company wide. Very frustrating, and stressful if your mindset doesn't allow you to sit on your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Yes, I have when I was young. It sounds like my experience.

You walk in and have no desk to work at. You need to go around the entire office to find a free computer. They call it hot-desking.

Once you get to a PC your equipment is straight broken so you troubleshoot cables etc. they would never buy new headsets.

Lots of guys would just hang up on customers as they knew the system wouldn't catch them. There were many guys at the end of their tether and once I even witnessed a fist fight between two local guys. It was literally Lord of the Flies in that call center.

All of the internal websites were slow as hell but you were also on the clock to get things completed fast. There were inherent problems with the system that the company knew about but would still sell sub-standard service to customers.

Most of the employees would just tell something to the customer to get them off the line, like call back later etc.

There was a good number of irate customers, I would say 1 out of 5. So you would spend half of the call listening to insults until you could get to actually help them with the problem at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I think the problem is that they tell young people to develop a work ethic and invest themselves in the job while in reality that's the worst thing you can do in that kind of environment.

Advertisement