Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband options without a phone line

• 24-09-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for advice on broadband. I own an old building and have recently renovated an upstairs apartment and have rented it out.
    The tenant has a smart TV and is looking to get broadband.
    The building does not have a phone line and he is looking for me to install a phone line so that he can access Eir fibre broadband.
    I am not sure how much it costs to get a phone line ?
    And I am also not sure that it is absolutely necessary to have a phone line to get broadband.
    What options are suitable for a smart TV .
    We are in a town in central Kerry and I think it should be fairly easy to get good broadband in the area.
    Any advice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Are you proving the tenant with a TV (Sky, Eir etc?) service? Most of these can come with a Broadband option these days.

You might not need a telephone line but you will likely need some sort of Cabled line. SIRO for instance uses a Fibre line which they will install one metre inside the premises, usually on the wall opposite the ESB box.

You can get a Wireless solution too but that depends on someone installing an antenna on your roof and then dropping a cable down into the room.

As you own the old building, and I have no idea on the size of it, have a think about if you are going to need Internet any where else in the building, in any other apartments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

3 mobile provide a plug in modem for about 30e/month unlimited and the tenant can take it with them out of the house when they leave or bring it around the country as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Are you proving the tenant with a TV (Sky, Eir etc?) service? Most of these can come with a Broadband option these days.

You might not need a telephone line but you will likely need some sort of Cabled line. SIRO for instance uses a Fibre line which they will install one metre inside the premises, usually on the wall opposite the ESB box.

You can get a Wireless solution too but that depends on someone installing an antenna on your roof and then dropping a cable down into the room.

As you own the old building, and I have no idea on the size of it, have a think about if you are going to need Internet any where else in the building, in any other apartments etc.

The line installation fee is normally included in the bundle when signing up for the first time. Eir charge an "activation fee" of €50 whether or not the line is already there. If your tenant is signing up for the service, then they will typically pay €50 activation and €30 per month for the Broadband. As the landlord, you just need to give permission. As a good landlord, you could offer to refund the €50 activation fee, because it is in your interest to have Broadband in your property, and it will help to attract future tenants. Don't inflict mobile broadband on your tenant - it isn't always reliable enough for TV - particularly in urban areas. Many employers refuse to accept employees working-from-home unless they have proper wired broadband. In the current climate you might find yourself without a tenant.

Advertisement