Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Cycling tech

Options
  • 24-09-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Currently using a fitbit Versa 2 and Strava to record everything and want to move over to a cycling computer and some sensors. Looking for some real world advise as each website just seems to push it's own brand.

The fitbit isn't very accurate at tracking heart rate and the rest of what it tracks on strava is basic and as i get more down the rabbit hole of road bikes i want to upgrade.

I'm pretty set on a Garmin cycling computer with gps built in. Can i mix and match brands i.e wahoo heart rate monitor with Garmin computer? Do i need a speed/ cadence sensor( are they of any real use?) Is there other parts you would advise?

I don't have the budget for a powermeter just yet, that's for the next bike.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hi Guys,

Currently using a fitbit Versa 2 and Strava to record everything and want to move over to a cycling computer and some sensors. Looking for some real world advise as each website just seems to push it's own brand.

The fitbit isn't very accurate at tracking heart rate and the rest of what it tracks on strava is basic and as i get more down the rabbit hole of road bikes i want to upgrade.

I'm pretty set on a Garmin cycling computer with gps built in. Can i mix and match brands i.e wahoo heart rate monitor with Garmin computer? Do i need a speed/ cadence sensor( are they of any real use?) Is there other parts you would advise?

Thanks

Yes I use a Wahoo HRM with a Garmin. Typically any sensors will work as long as they use the same connectivity protocol (Bluetooth, ANT+ etc)

Speed and cadence are useful but by no means essential to have at the beginning. Power meter is only necessary if you are training seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Hi Guys,

Thanks

You can mix match yes. Wahoo HR will be recognised by Garmin head unit.

Speed sensor - no huge benefit in using one outdoors. You might have more use for one on an indoor setup if using Zwift or similar. Some say that a speed sensor correctly set up gives more accurate speed data than a GPS unit. I'm not so sure though.

Cadence sensor - I find it extremely useful. Some don't care about cadence. Others do. So it's only of any real use if you want it to be of use!!

If you want the head unit, HR monitor and the sensors you'd be best advised to buy a GPS bundle. You'd get an Elemnt Bolt bundle for somewhere between €250 and €300 I'd imagine. Buying HR monitor, speed/cadence sensors and the head unit all separately usually works out more expensive than buying the bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

G1032 wrote: »
    Speed sensor - no huge benefit in using one outdoors. You might have more use for one on an indoor setup if using Zwift or similar. Some say that a speed sensor correctly set up gives more accurate speed data than a GPS unit. I'm not so sure though.

I find GPS speed accuracy goes out the window if there're trees involved. I changed the rear wheel on the bike last month and didn't change the speed sensor over and I'd regularly notice that speed would drop from say 30km/h to 23km/h for no variation in power or cadence.

Cadence sensor is worth having IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The Garmin Edge 130 is reduced in Halfords at the moment. Down to €118 and €106 with a 10% discount code.
    I got one last week so have only used it a few times so far but the GPS seems accurate enough and it does more than enough. I also have a speed and cadence sensor I got given which works with it. I didn't bother tho as I've no need.
    If your not looking for the bells and whistles like navigation it's a good buy. The garmin app is good too. Nice bit of detail on it once it syncs up after the cycle.
    If you want a discount code for Halfords send me a pm and I'll forward it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get the sensors. During the summer especially there's enough tree cover to mess with GPS, and it's especially annoying on a long climb to have auto-pause constantly bleeping on and off as it loses GPS.

Minor issues, but they're usually much cheaper in a bundle than buying them separately later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

seamus wrote: »
    Get the sensors. During the summer especially there's enough tree cover to mess with GPS, and it's especially annoying on a long climb to have auto-pause constantly bleeping on and off as it loses GPS.

Minor issues, but they're usually much cheaper in a bundle than buying them separately later on.

Never experienced issues like that (as far as I can remember anyway). GPS never dropped out on me on either Edge 500 or Elemnt Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Happens all the time for me. Heavy tree cover => GPS loss. I slogged up the Devil Glen last week at a snails pace with my Garmin pausing and re-starting every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Thanks for the help so far. It will be great to still have a full phone battery at the end of a long spin as i won't need the gps and and bluetooth on all day.

I never considered the sensors could work on a turbo trainer so that's a huge bonus.

I'm looking at the Wahoo Element Bolt bundle and the Garmin Edge 530 Bundle at the moment. I have to decide if i need navigation, if not i can save some money and go with the discounted 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

lissard wrote: »
    Happens all the time for me. Heavy tree cover => GPS loss. I slogged up the Devil Glen last week at a snails pace with my Garmin pausing and re-starting every few seconds.

You know you can turn off the Auto-pause feature? Even with a speed sensor, if you have auto-pause set to pause at say, 10kph, it will activate if your speed drops below 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Must have a look at that - it only really kicks in on super-steep climbs for me. I might need to dial it down a little lower. Thanks for the tip.

Do cycling computers store all recorded info(routes/map, distance speed etc) on the device until you pair it with your phone/computer?

With fitbit I've to have it paired with my phone if i want gps tracking but it records everything else on the device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your phone should be able to record GPS directly, using one of the various sports tracking apps, without pairing directly with a fitbit?

Must have a look at that - it only really kicks in on super-steep climbs for me. I might need to dial it down a little lower. Thanks for the tip.

I have mine set to "When Stopped", so it only kicks when stopped at traffic lights etc.

Do cycling computers store all recorded info(routes/map, distance speed etc) on the device until you pair it with your phone/computer?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have mine set to 5km/h which works fine generally - any less than that going up a hill is keel over time for me anyway. I have had it pause though under tree cover this summer - it doesn't even have to be heavy cover to affect it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've my Bolt set for "when stopped" but still have experienced auto pause climbing under tree cover. Happened on a gravel spin on Saturday, and has happened once or twice on climbs like up from Clara Vale Church to the Laragh Rathdrum road, when I'm going very slow and the tree cover is heavy. I'm probably far forward too on that one, adding to the signal blocking!

Bolt v 530 I'd go 530 tbh OP. Newer tech, and improved navigation over the Bolt. The Bolt is fine, great battery life, the Wahoo set up via the App is great and all, I'm just not sure I'd buy it new at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only ever experienced that on an MTB with the Wahoo.

Follow up: after many a battery draining cycle with my phone and fitbit combo i finally went ahead and bought the Wahoo Element Bolt Gps Bundle.

Thanks for the help and advice, can't wait to get it in the post. Currently on Amazon for £244.99, now I can have phone battery left to listen to music or make a call on my spins.

Advertisement