Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter shoes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I suffer from cold feet too. I use merino socks (DHB), shoes and BBB HardWear overshoes. Below 2 or 3C I still get slightly cold feet but it's definitely tolerable.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-hardwear-overshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I grabbed two pairs of cheap as chips ones on Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

You probably have it covered but tight shoes will restrict circulation and make you more prone to cold.

Got frost bitten on Alaskan mountains years back because of this..... was only -20C summit morning and should never have happened :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

54and56 wrote: »
    I really suffer from ice cold feet in winter.

I've tried everything from taping up the shoe vents to fitting a sock over the shoes before putting on heavy duty winter overshoes etc but nothing seems to keep my feet warm.

Googling winter cycling shoes produces some very nice but expensive options such as the Fizik R5 Artica winter shoes https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/fizik-r5-artica-winter-road-shoe/rp-prod164546?gs=1&sku=sku607983&istCompanyId=0f15660a-f13e-4c09-a701-b55d8c3f2e59&istFeedId=21ccdaa5-24f7-4b32-9ec6-ac7081b9b50b&istItemId=iwpritxaq&istBid=t&pgrid=55940684061&ptaid=pla-412142322702&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|semZaSnBW_dm|pcrid|294740729954|pkw||pmt||prd|607983IE&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadp53c1TToo6PkXmhqqC9gkNtNmGLzym6cKKk1-nu6exMtMC5kmTaMBoCVjYQAvD_BwE but not sure I can justify over €200 for them.

Are there any less expensive options which actually work in Irish winters people here use and can recommend?

My wife bought a pair of Shimano winter road shoes last year and they were much more like around the 100 euro mark. She finds them great and cycling shoes last for years so it might be worth the investment long term

Along the lines of these:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107195

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

was only -20C summit morning and should never have happened :-)
    Yeah - that's nippy enough. Enough to see me roll over for more sleep and maybe some PlayStation once the house warms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What shoe size are you? I've got a brand new Shimano pair in size 43 but it's a very small fit. I'm abroad but could post. Road cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

You probably have it covered but tight shoes will restrict circulation and make you more prone to cold.

Thanks.

This may be a contributor. I have decent shoes (were circa €100 about 6 years ago) and they are a snug fit with summer socks on. I was tending towards a half size up but the LBS where I bought them advised against as they would be loose and cause problems with power transfer or comfort, can't recall exactly but they were assertive that a snug fit was the way to go.

Problem is snug in Summer becomes very snug in winter with thicker socks so that could be the source of the problem.

Either way it seems like new (half size bigger) winter shoes are on the agenda.

What shoe size are you? I've got a brand new Shimano pair in size 43 but it's a very small fit. I'm abroad but could post. Road cleats

I'm an 8.5 which is technically 42 but I often get 43 as it happens.

I'm not looking for charity, happy to pay for them if they are what I need. Are they winter shoes?

fat bloke wrote: »
    My wife bought a pair of Shimano winter road shoes last year and they were much more like around the 100 euro mark. She finds them great and cycling shoes last for years so it might be worth the investment long term

Along the lines of these:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107195

They look pretty good actually, of course none in stock in my size but will look elsewhere.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I suffer from cold feet too. I use merino socks (DHB), shoes and BBB HardWear overshoes. Below 2 or 3C I still get slightly cold feet but it's definitely tolerable.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-hardwear-overshoes

Yep, have Galibier Artic Overshoes already, feet still freeze :(

Love all their gear BTW so not blaming their overshoes for not being effective, I think my problem relates to the shoe itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Use Sealskinz Neoprene socks + Specialized Defroster boots + Sealskinz overshoes for audaxing in deep winter which works great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've specialized defroster boots. Now I try to avoid specialized stuff due to their overly litigious approach to things, but they're pretty good I have to say and spot on size wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm an 8.5 which is technically 42 but I often get 43 as it happens.

I'm not looking for charity, happy to pay for them if they are what I need. Are they winter shoes?

I'll try to dig out some photos and PM them to you today. I would need payment + postage but it would come to a bit cheaper than the Shimano ones listed above. They are winter shoes, they are a few years old but unworn and never even had cleats fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. I was tending towards a half size up but the LBS where I bought them advised against as they would be loose and cause problems with power transfer or comfort...
    I wouldn't worry too much about power transfer unless you're in the semi-pro category. My cycling shoes and boots are in various fits/sizes (I think I've 9 pairs altogether) and I don't notice any difference in performance. Definitely size up as it will allow thicker woollen socks as mentioned without being tight, It will also allow you to put a few layers of tinfoil under the insole.

Regarding winter boots - in my experience, they don't make a huge difference heat wise but I use them as they avoid the need for over shoes and they are better in wet conditions. I very rarely get cold feet so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice (other parts of me will get cold long before my feet do).

Some people put a hand warmer under each instep - they last for several hours.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/travel-equipment/hot-hands-hand-warmers-twin-pack-655088.html

I'll try to dig out some photos and PM them to you today. I would need payment + postage but it would come to a bit cheaper than the Shimano ones listed above. They are winter shoes, they are a few years old but unworn and never even had cleats fitted

Thanks CGNS, lets see if we can do something.

I wouldn't worry too much about power transfer unless you're in the semi-pro category.

Most definitely not.

I'm in the semi fat but trying hard category!!

I've been trying hacks like silver paper, taping over vents, wearing socks with cleat cutouts over the shoes and under winter overshoes etc with mixed results.

I think it's time to stop trying to make summer shoes work in winter, bite the bullet and get a dedicated winter pair designed to perform in cold wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I've been trying hacks like silver paper, taping over vents, wearing socks with cleat cutouts over the shoes and under winter overshoes etc with mixed results.

I got some advice once to make sure your legs are sufficiently warm also. The idea was that your blood cools on way to extremities so if your legs aren’t being kept insulated, it will be very hard to your keep feet warm as the blood is already cool. So I got a good set of winter tights, a pair of merino socks and warm overshoes and was toasty all through last winter. I’m not sure that the shoes actually make that much difference (I wear summer ones in winter).

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I got some advice once to make sure your legs are sufficiently warm also. The idea was that your blood cools on way to extremities so if your legs aren’t being kept insulated, it will be very hard to your keep feet warm as the blood is already cool. So I got a good set of winter tights, a pair of merino socks and warm overshoes and was toasty all through last winter. I’m not sure that the shoes actually make that much difference (I wear summer ones in winter).

I've good winter bibs and my legs are always warm as are my hands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I tried all the hacks, but I still suffer from really cold feet. After lots of trial and error, i finally found this combo worked best..
    Fizik Artica Winter boots and Spatz Roadman Neoprene overshoes!
    tip: Don't wear thick socks. Standard summer socks works better, as your feet are not restricted and so allows better blood flow.

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html

https://www.spatzwear.com/products/spatz-roadman-2-super-thermo-reflective-overshoes-with-kevlar-rdmn

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I tried all the hacks, but I still suffer from really cold feet. After lots of trial and error, i finally found this combo worked best..
    Fizik Artica Winter boots and Spatz Roadman Neoprene overshoes!
    tip: Don't wear thick socks. Standard summer socks works better, as your feet are not restricted and so allows better blood flow.

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html

https://www.spatzwear.com/products/spatz-roadman-2-super-thermo-reflective-overshoes-with-kevlar-rdmn

You sound like my long lost brother!!

The research I've done is leading me to the R5's as being the best solution for my particular needs. They are pricy but if they perform they might be worth the investment.

I'd be disappointed if I had to enhance them with more overshoes so if I do get them I'll start out using them on their own and if needs be try my existing Galibier Arctic overshoes. If that doesn't do the job those Spatzwear overshoes would be a final hail mary option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agree. The Spatz are reserved for really, REALLY cold days! I do recommend you always were overshoes though. if water does get into the R5's, as their are no vents in the sole, the water remains in your shoes, so you end up with soggy (but warm) socks and feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I love the Rapha merino winter socks, have the deep winter knee high ones too but rarely need those. Need to be careful washing them but mine have survived a few winters of mountain biking. Also a fan of the Spatz overshoes, had them on in the rain yesterday and my shoes were nice and dry. One of the few overshoes that work well with road and XC shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

For rides on cold winter mornings, I put my merino socks, cycling shoes and overshoes on the radiator before I go to bed and set the heating to come on an hour before I want to leave.

I put them all on just before I leave the house, so my feet feel too hot. Doing this can help my feet stay warm for rides up to two and a half hours or so. I reckon the extra heat boosts circulation as well as actually keeping my feet warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Not a big sufferer of cold feet but do have a set of spatz overshoes and they are brilliant. Bone dry and warm feet no matter what conditions I have been out in. They are expensive but they last well and better than any other over shoe I've tried.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    For rides on cold winter mornings, I put my merino socks, cycling shoes and overshoes on the radiator before I go to bed and set the heating to come on an hour before I want to leave.

Warm up my cycling clothes on a radiator for winter spins. Toasty

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Are the spatz overshoes compatible with recessed cleats ie SPD's ?

mvt wrote: »

Work with my XC shoes

mvt wrote: »
    All overshoes compatible with SPD's as they are recessed - the problem though is that, as the cleats are recessed, the sole of the overshoe wears away much more quickly as it makes full contact with the ground.

All overshoes compatible with SPD's as they are recessed - the problem though is that, as the cleats are recessed, the sole of the overshoe wears away much more quickly as it makes full contact with the ground.

Some of the road overshoes I've had didn't work with MTB shoes as they covered the cleats. Spatz with the XC shoes I have aren't in contact with the ground, can't use toe spikes with them but only use those for racing.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Some of the road overshoes I've had didn't work with MTB shoes as they covered the cleats....
    That seems strange as the cleats are in the same place in either shoe. :confused:

Advertisement