Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR increase of 100%

• 24-09-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

EIR just announced that from the 9/11/20 the 10euro 28 day simplicity unlimited calls tariff will be changing from 28 days to 14 days,will work out at a whopping 100% increase:eek:
    A lot of the less well off and elderly people use this tariff as it one of the cheapest out there.Solidarity from EIR in these times :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭stevek93

That’s company is nuts their customer service is non existent.

They will regret this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

48 have a better plan than that for 7.99 (all calls & text & 100GB). Check coverage first to ensure it works
    Eir are probably trying to push people towards Gomo for calls.

Eir PAYG pa is 13 x 10 = 130

Gomo SIM only pa is 12 x 12.99 = 155.88

Vodafone have call add ons of 100 minutes for 5e.

IMO 48 is a good offer even if only calls are needed. Only slight drawback is there's no offline top up but anyone can top up anyone else's 48 number on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ten Pin wrote: »
    48 have a better plan than that for 7.99 (all calls & text & 100GB). Check coverage first to ensure it works
    Eir are probably trying to push people towards Gomo for calls.

Eir PAYG pa is 13 x 10 = 130

Gomo SIM only pa is 12 x 12.99 = 155.88

Vodafone have call add ons of 100 minutes for 5e.

IMO 48 is a good offer even if only calls are needed. Only slight drawback is there's no offline top up but anyone can top up anyone else's 48 number on the website.

tbf though, i had plenty of problems on the O2 network. It used to be overloaded and very underfunded. Not sure if its still the same but its abysmal in some parts of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you want to stay on the eir network then try gomo. Plan is €12.99, unlimited calls texts and data for life.

If 3 is reliable in your area 48's current deal of unlimited calls, texts and 100GB of data for €7.99 is worth a look. You can try before you buy as when you request the sim they give you 1gb of data to test valid for 7 days. Then if you're happy with the results you can port your number in and buy a membership. You can get a free month also buy using somebody's referral code. Link to that thread is in my signature.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I am on an eir offer of 20 euro per 28 days which gets me free calls and text to any network and free data .

Am I looking at a price hike on this package from October onwards ?
    Thank you

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I am on an eir offer of 20 euro per 28 days which gets me free calls and text to any network and free data .

Am I looking at a price hike on this package from October onwards ?
    Thank you

This is the new plans
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/simply-top-up/

DopeTech wrote: »

Thank you , am I right in saying that under their new prepay plans , there is no package which offers free data and free calls and texts to any network ?

Eir have 2 different top up options...

1. Simply Top Up - Keep credit but allowances are ridiculously small and are reminiscent of plans from 20 years ago.

2. Simplicity - Top up taken to activate plan allowances

AIUI the price increase only applies to the 10e unlimited calls simplicity plan. The 20e plan is called No Limits Data. If you didn't get a notification SMS of a price or duration change then it's probably safe to assume your plan is unaffected....but this is eir so anything is possible.

Would you believe this just landed by text message to me , still can’t work out if my 20 euro per 28 days simplicity plan of all calls and texts to any network and Unlimited data is going to change ?
    Apologies and thanks for the help

“CONTRACT CHANGE: From 9th November, we are increasing some standard rates and other charges on the Simplicity plan. We will also be discontinuing the IOU and Webtext services from December 2020. Please note, if you have No Limits data in your current offer, this will not be impacted. For full details, see eir.ie/prepayupdate1. If you feel it’s not right for you, you are free to choose another offer or withdraw from your contract without penalty, including by ceasing to top up. Your credit balance remains as is. eir”

There's another notice at...
    www.eir.ie/prepayupdate2

...that mentions the 10e calls plan only.

The gist of the rest of the changes on other simplicity plans:

- Webtext unavailable on PAYG from December 2020

- Call & SMS fair use 3,000 (was 5,000)

- Out of plan charges increase...
    > 39c per min (was 35c)
    > call set up fee 12c (was 9c)
    > Minimum call charge billing increment increases from 'per 30 seconds' to 'per minute'

The only change to the 20e plan seems to be the call allowance reduction from 5,000 to 3,000 and discontinuation of webtext.

• Advertisement

There's another notice at...
    www.eir.ie/prepayupdate2

...that mentions the 10e calls plan only.

The gist of the rest of the changes on other simplicity plans:

- Webtext unavailable on PAYG from December 2020

- Call & SMS fair use 3,000 (was 5,000)

- Out of plan charges increase...
    > 39c per min (was 35c)
    > call set up fee 12c (was 9c)
    > Minimum call charge billing increment increases from 'per 30 seconds' to 'per minute'

The only change to the 20e plan seems to be the call allowance reduction from 5,000 to 3,000 and discontinuation of webtext.

Thanks again , Christ they never make it easy for customers do they .
    I’ll wait until my next top up is due and see what happens , if my package goes to 14 days or prehistoric data allowance I’ll be jumping ship !

Have to find a package now for my elderly mother , she was on their 10 euro 28 day calls only offer , still not bad at 20 euro with the increase . She only used the mobile for calls , nothing else and got a top up voucher when she was out doing her shopping , keeps her in touch with everyone especially during the covid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I’ll wait until my next top up is due and see what happens , if my package goes to 14 days or prehistoric data allowance I’ll be jumping ship !

Have to find a package now for my elderly mother , she was on their 10 euro 28 day calls only offer , still not bad at 20 euro with the increase . She only used the mobile for calls , nothing else and got a top up voucher when she was out doing her shopping , keeps her in touch with everyone especially during the covid .

If three are half decent in her area, look into 48, free calls and texts to all networks all for 7.99 and 100gb of data to boot.
    Link here
    https://48.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

They still have 10euro unlimited calls on website, 10 eur top up every 28 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

They still have 10euro unlimited calls on website, 10 eur top up every 28 days

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Check the "simplicity" plan as that's €10 top up every 4 weeks for unlimited calls only.
    Maybe they changed some legacy plans and there was some confusion, I'd imagine most customers are on the simplicity plan and won't be affected by the change.

The document at this link...
    http://www.eir.ie/prepayupdate2

...specifies the "€10 Simplicity Unlimited Calls Top Up Offer"

It says that top ups before 9th November last 28 days but after that the duration will be 14 days.

AFAIK Eir/Meteor only every had one calls plan for 10e and it's the one referred to in the document. No idea why they're still showing it as 4 week plan on their website but maybe since the change isn't due until 9th November, any new sign ups to the plan will be notified prior to the change being implemented.

I would post the text of the document here except that eir have set the PDF text as uncopiable.

Update on my plan which was 20 euro every 28 days for free calls and texts to any network and unlimited data.

My 20 euro top up will now get me free calls to Eir network, free texts and 250mb of data and i keep my credit , i think i have been transported back to prehistoric times with that offer:D

I spoke to an Eir Agent via twitter customer service, all plans are changing

This is the new offers coming in on prepay

I shall be changing networks in the next couple of weeks, very poor offers by Eir.

TLDR The only changes to 20e and 30e Simplicity No Limits Data plans are:
    - Fair Use Minutes: 3,000
    - Fair Use SMS: 3,000
    - Standard Rates Increasing (does not affect plan allowances)
    Update on my plan which was 20 euro every 28 days for free calls and texts to any network and unlimited data.

My 20 euro top up will now get me free calls to Eir network, free texts and 250mb of data and i keep my credit , i think i have been transported back to prehistoric times with that offer:D

I spoke to an Eir Agent via twitter customer service, all plans are changing

This is the new offers coming in on prepay

I shall be changing networks in the next couple of weeks, very poor offers by Eir.

That's not what the notification they sent says...
    ....Simplicity plan. We will also be discontinuing the IOU and Webtext services from December 2020. Please note, if you have No Limits data in your current offer, this will not be impacted.

...which completely contradicts what the agent told you re 250MB and also contradicts the document linked in the notification SMS. My guess is that Eir CS don't know what they're talking about (shocker).

Regardless of Eir's incompetence, they can't just drastically change plans, minor tweaks here and there are allowed by Comreg but not wholesale changes such as halving the 10e calls plan duration. IMO they shouldn't be allowed change any of it but that's Comreg for ya. It's a different story if someone voluntarily changes plan but forcing customers off legacy plans is definitely against the spirit of the rules.

For example Tesco's legacy 3G plan is still available to those who never changed to a different plan. Which is why Tesco had to kind of hoodwink people onto the 4G plan as that was the only way to get them off a legacy plan.

It would possibly be a different situation if you didn't top up for an extended length of time but if you're topping up each month then they should have to honour the terms of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

That's not what the notification they sent says...

...which completely contradicts what the agent told you re 250MB and also contradicts the document linked in the notification SMS. My guess is that Eir CS don't know what they're talking about (shocker).

Regardless of Eir's incompetence, they can't just drastically change plans, minor tweaks here and there are allowed by Comreg but not wholesale changes such as halving the 10e calls plan duration. IMO they shouldn't be allowed change any of it but that's Comreg for ya. It's a different story if someone voluntarily changes plan but forcing customers off legacy plans is definitely against the spirit of the rules.

For example Tesco's legacy 3G plan is still available to those who never changed to a different plan. Which is why Tesco had to kind of hoodwink people onto the 4G plan as that was the only way to get them off a legacy plan.

It would possibly be a different situation if you didn't top up for an extended length of time but if you're topping up each month then they should have to honour the terms of the plan.

Its simply top up plans changing not simplicity plans,

Its simply top up plans changing not simplicity plans,

This is what I gathered from it, the simplicity plans, which most customers would be on are unaffected.

• Advertisement

Changes to €lO Unlimited Calls Offer

CONTRACT CHANGE: From 9th November, our current Simplicity Unlimited Calls Top up offer duration will be changing from 28 days to 14 days. If you activate this offer before November 9th, the offer will remain active for 28 days. Top ups made after November 9th will activate the offer for 14 days. We are increasing some standard rates and other charges on the Simplicity plan. We will also be discontinuing the IOU and Webtext services from December 2020. For full details, see below, if you feel it's not right for you, you are free to choose another offer or withdraw from your contract without penalty, including by ceasing to top up, eir

From 9th November the following changes will be made to your Simplicity €1O Calls offer:

€10 Unlimited Calls
    €10 Top Up Every 28 days

€10 Unlimited Calls from 9th November*
    €10 Top Up Every 14 days

*Fair usage allowance of 3,000 minutes applies
    http://www.eir.ie/prepayupdate2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bronkobilly

corsav6 wrote: »

Check the "simplicity" plan as that's €10 top up every 4 weeks for unlimited calls only.
    Maybe they changed some legacy plans and there was some confusion, I'd imagine most customers are on the simplicity plan and won't be affected by the change.

its not changing till november so the old prices are still there on there web site

its not changing till november so the old prices are still there on there web site

...and when ordering a SIM there's a terms and conditions check box with a link to a long list of other links that includes the notices about the changes on 9th November.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If you call them and say you have been a customer for however many years and you'd like a good deal on bill pay they'll generally put you on the best value package they can. Costs me €13pm for free calls texts and 100gb data. I'm not in a contract because I always buy my phone outright.

I've been a customer since they were Meteor, about 20 years. Only had one bad experience in that whole time (they caught me for roaming charges because they didn't send a notification saying I had used up the minutes that you used be given for them and I was yapping on the phone for ages whilst abroad). Other than that sneaky business they've been great to deal with.

That's sly, eir are getting far too greedy now. No mention of it on the page for simplicity offers so anyone signing up now would assume it's going to be €10 every 28 days.
    I assume their trying to push everyone onto their sim only plans, or GoMo.

i be changing to 3 network for 15 euro i get unlimited calls 60 texts and some data for 28 day instead of eir of 14 days good luck eir

i be changing to 3 network for 15 euro i get unlimited calls 60 texts and some data for 28 day instead of eir of 14 days good luck eir

Why not just move to Gomo?

DopeTech wrote: »
    Why not just move to Gomo?

is gomo pay as u go ?

You'll get all calls, text and 100GB with 48 for 8 euro per month PAYG, should be same coverage as 3. You need to get a SIM by November to get that price.

Gomo is a monthly bill, not PAYG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

corsav6 wrote: »

No My Mother got a text she is on that it been changed , going to 14 days contract

Advertisement