Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police officer killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah very odd. Unless maybe he walked in, admitted to a crime, the police started the process of arresting/detaining him and then he whips out a concealed gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BLM activist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seems like he was checked/searched but they missed the gun, which he then produced and fired.

No police guns were discharged, but he was obviously easy to apprehend after he had shot himself to the point he is in a critical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Looks like he wasn't searched properly. Nasty surprise for the officers in the station.

40% rise in violence against police in London this year, it's the done thing now.

Det Ch Insp Chris Phillips say: "I think police officers are probably less likely to search people now with all the furore that goes on".

Croydon is a violent hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

osarusan wrote: »
    Seems like he was checked/searched but they missed the gun, which he then produced and fired.

No police guns were discharged, but he was obviously easy to apprehend after he had shot himself to the point he is in a critical condition.

Can't do proper searches until in full custody. It is easy to miss something in pat downs and empty your pockets.

Rip to the poor officer who lost his life and condolences to his family and colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seems to be a failing in procedure that led to this. Tragic all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

There's something particularly gut wrenching about the murder of a police officer given the nature of what they're required to do...generally unarmed they come into contact with the dregs of society , the desperate ,the disturbed, the deranged as well as fanatical terrorists and unprincipled psychopaths.
    The last such murder in Ireland I think was Garda Adrian Donohoe - as foul a cold blooded episode as you'll find.
    How they restrain themselves from tearing a police killer limb from limb amazes me. I believe the death penalty should be available for a convicted killer of a police officer.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Seems to be a failing in procedure that led to this. Tragic all the same.

I'd look to gang violence.

The vast majority of Gun crime in London is by a small demographic, a sub community with a profoundly rotten culture and values.

RIP to this officer.

They’re damned when they do stop and search and damned when they don’t. It’s not a job that I would like to have and as a Londoner, I appreciate that the police force put themselves in harms way to protect the public. That’s something all the loud mouths with their phones out forget when the police stop and search someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How did they miss a gun in a search ,he's at least should have been handcuffed .

Rip officer

Gatling wrote: »
    How did they miss a gun in a search ,he's at least should have been handcuffed .

Rip officer

Det Ch Insp Chris Phillips say: "I think police officers are probably less likely to search people now with all the furore that goes on".

As this London cop puts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Maybe for stop and search but you usually always get a proper search when been brought back to the station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Hope the guy survives to be a vegetable but still feels chronic pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RIP to this officer.

They’re damned when they do stop and search and damned when they don’t. It’s not a job that I would like to have and as a Londoner, I appreciate that the police force put themselves in harms way to protect the public. That’s something all the loud mouths with their phones out forget when the police stop and search someone.

It's very trendy to hate on the police. Imagine the death an mayhem that would ensue if all the cops downed tools for ever 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Danzy wrote: »

I seen a video of a search in London the other day , within a few seconds of starting the search there was 5 people filming and abusing the policeman. Why would you bother?? Do they realise he's trying to save lives by taking knives off the streets. If the community acts like that, let them stab each other to death would be my opinion. Let the cops work somewhere else where they'd be appreciated. See how long it lasts before black communities turn into warzones . Blm , the media and politicians have to take a lot of the blame for creating a dangerous environment for policing.

This is a perfect example of a stupid cow.

https://twitter.com/ticerichard/status/1274981574220578816?s=21

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

boardise wrote: »
    There's something particularly gut wrenching about the murder of a police officer given the nature of what they're required to do...generally unarmed they come into contact with the dregs of society , the desperate ,the disturbed, the deranged as well as fanatical terrorists and unprincipled psychopaths.
    The last such murder in Ireland I think was Garda Adrian Donohoe - as foul a cold blooded episode as you'll find.
    How they restrain themselves from tearing a police killer limb from limb amazes me. I believe the death penalty should be available for a convicted killer of a police officer.

Sadly, there have been two further Garda deaths in the line of duty, since that of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe.

Garda Tony Golden in 2015, and Detective Garda Colm Horkan earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Huh?
    Don't you read the papers? Detective Colm Horkan was shot dead in June this year.

But your point stands. It is very rare for police to be shot in this country. Or in Britain, indeed.
    I believe the death penalty should be available for a convicted killer of a police officer.

Well, it actually was until about 20 years ago. The interfering meddling sovereignty-usurping EU insisted that all members get rid of the death penalty. so we went a step further and decided not just to make it illegal but unconstitutional. A massive majority (62%-38%) voted for a constitutional ban on capital punishment. Which means that the government couldn't reintroduce it, even if it wanted to.
    Not without asking us first.

In fact, although capital punishment was the mandatory court sentence for the murder of a Garda until 2002, the last judicial execution in Ireland took place in the 1950s. And I believe the last execution for the murder of a Garda was in the 1940s. All death sentences handed down since then (there were not many) were commuted.

Actually, it is rare for police officers anywhere in the democratic, civilised (sic) world to be murdered or "feloniously killed" on duty. In the US, for example, the average number of cops killed by bad guys every year is about 50. When you then consider that on average US cops SHOOT DEAD about a thousand people every year, you maybe get an inkling of where the current resentment against police heavy handedness in that country comes from. (The cop casualty rate comes from the FBI, BTW if you need a source).

The figures for fatal police shootings come from the Washington Post. They don't discriminate between "justified" shootings where a lone cop hero is surrounded by Uzi wielding drug cartel savages, and more controversial ones such as a nurse sleeping in her apartment when a bunch of heavily armed cops come crashing in looking for somebody else who USED to live there. But nor do they include "alternative" methods of cops killing citizens such as, for example, choke holds on asthmatics that go on too long or kneeling on the neck of a prone handcuffed suspect for nearly 10 minutes.

When all is said and done, I'll take our cops and their unarmed regime over the frantic "shoot first, ask questions later" methodology that pertains in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I seen a video of a search in London the other day , within a few seconds of starting the search there was 5 people filming and abusing the policeman. Why would you bother?? Do they realise he's trying to save lives by taking knives off the streets. If the community acts like that, let them stab each other to death would be my opinion. Let the cops work somewhere else where they'd be appreciated. See how long it lasts before black communities turn into warzones . Blm , the media and politicians have to take a lot of the blame for creating a dangerous environment for policing.

The Met are an excellent police force from my dealings with them and seeing how they deal with trouble in London. It's massive city and they've a lot to deal with but they generally do a great job. I suppose any European police force looks world class compared to our own jokers.
    London isn't this place full of roaming black dangerous gangs like some make it out to be, I lived in a mostly black area and the dodgy looking teenagers wouldn't bother people like me going about their lives.
    Also to the person who said Croydon is a sh*thole, parts of it may be rough but it's undergone a lot of regeneration and it's quite a nice place for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Danzy wrote: »

If you're referring to the stop-and-search controversy, the officers had arrested the suspect and thus there would be no issue with searching him.

If you're referring to the pandemic, I'm sure the arresting officers had PPE.

According to the Daily Mail, the arresting officers were special constables - I wonder does that explain incompetence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

London is such a kip. It really goes under the radar in terms of being a really dangerous and dodgy city. People just see Westminster and other tourist traps.

It really is a dive. Don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Hope the guy survives to be a vegetable but still feels chronic pain.

Nice....,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Huh?

The figures for fatal police shootings come from the Washington Post. They don't discriminate between "justified" shootings where a lone cop hero is surrounded by Uzi wielding drug cartel savages, and more controversial ones such as a nurse sleeping in her apartment when a bunch of heavily armed cops come crashing in looking for somebody else who USED to live there. But nor do they include "alternative" methods of cops killing citizens such as, for example, choke holds on asthmatics that go on too long or kneeling on the neck of a prone handcuffed suspect for nearly 10 minutes.

When all is said and done, I'll take our cops and their unarmed regime over the frantic "shoot first, ask questions later" methodology that pertains in the US.

don't you think your edgy hip cool anti cop cop hating agenda would be better suited to another thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Met are an excellent police force from my dealings with them and seeing how they deal with trouble in London. It's massive city and they've a lot to deal with but they generally do a great job. I suppose any European police force looks world class compared to our own jokers.
    London isn't this place full of roaming black dangerous gangs like some make it out to be, I lived in a mostly black area and the dodgy looking teenagers wouldn't bother people like me going about their lives.
    Also to the person who said Croydon is a sh*thole, parts of it may be rough but it's undergone a lot of regeneration and it's quite a nice place for the most part.

You might need those jokers as you call them someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You might need those jokers as you call them someday.

Like most, I've needed them before and they've proved to be absolutely f*cking useless. They have zero presence and are afraid of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Gunman was on terror watchlist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The figures for fatal police shootings come from the Washington Post. They don't discriminate between "justified" shootings where a lone cop hero is surrounded by Uzi wielding drug cartel savages, and more controversial ones such as a nurse sleeping in her apartment when a bunch of heavily armed cops come crashing in looking for somebody else who USED to live there.

I assume you are talking about Breonna Taylor. Breonna was shot while in the hall standing near her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, who fired one shot through the door when he heard knocking on it. Walker's bullet struck one of the three cops on the leg, requiring surgery. The cops returned fire and that's when Breonna Taylor was fatally wounded. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not quite the execution you are trying to paint.

No matter what jurisdiction you are in, if you fire at cops first and hit one in the leg, they are going to fire back.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    London is such a kip. It really goes under the radar in terms of being a really dangerous and dodgy city. People just see Westminster and other tourist traps.

Spent more years there than anywhere else, in one of it's dismal overspill suburbs but would still never regard it as a place of origin or self-identify with it, it belongs to everybody yet it's still nowheresville, soulless, a place without any discernible personality. Londoners and their flat monotone accents are as boring as the place as well. People are just going out in Brussels or Madrid when 90% of London's rubbish pubs are closing up for the night for the place to become a deadzone.

Give me Manchester or the Pool any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Totally disagree, I visit it regularly tho not this year at all, I also lived there for a number of years. Whether it is or not!? It feels very safe and is well policed, they take and tackle crime very seriously and one crime is just as bad as the next.. it has probably the best transport system/infrastructure in the World, probably the best tourists attractions with lots of well maintained pedestrian precincts and parks, fantastic markets and very helpful and empathetic transport workers and police and mountains of history.. the night life is second to none....of course you're gonna see high crime stats as they as I said already take all crime seriously.. eg: 5 of us running through a terraced street late enough one night and we were jumped out at and corralled by a police car..they had set up a sting and we're monitoring the area and all because 2 cars had been broken into on 2 previous nights. Would you see that here?

Advertisement