Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police officer killed

Options

Comments

AllForIt wrote: »
    Seems to be a failing in procedure that led to this. Tragic all the same.

Not necessarily. When someone is arrested they are not fully searched until in a cell / search room after being booked in.

Plenty of Gardai have had nasty surprises produced from all sorts of places and ingenious hiding methods.

Totally disagree, I visit it regularly tho not this year at all, I also lived there for a number of years. Whether it is or not!? It feels very safe and is well policed, they take and tackle crime very seriously and one crime is just as bad as the next.. it has probably the best transport system/infrastructure in the World, probably the best tourists attractions with lots of well maintained pedestrian precincts and parks, fantastic markets and very helpful and empathetic transport workers and police and mountains of history.. the night life is second to none....of course you're gonna see high crime stats as they as I said already take all crime seriously.. eg: 5 of us running through a terraced street late enough one night and we were jumped out at and corralled by a police car..they had set up a sting and we're monitoring the area and all because 2 cars had been broken into on 2 previous nights. Would you see that here?

Love London and agree with everything except the policing. It used to be well covered, not anymore. City, met and btp have all either been slashed or simple arent visible anymore.

Like most, I've needed them before and they've proved to be absolutely f*cking useless. They have zero presence and are afraid of trouble.

Again in reply to your anti Garda rant, the prisons being overcrowded would suggest you are wrong.

This also suggests it:
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/four-hero-gardai-praised-after-22466812

And this does too, note the unarmed officers arresting someone who is firing a machine gun and holding a ****ing grenade!
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5700445/hero-garda-derek-bottler-devoy-daughter-gun/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Love London and agree with everything except the policing. It used to be well covered, not anymore. City, met and btp have all either been slashed or simple arent visible anymore.
    I agree they are not as visible anymore..I also agree a presence and visibility of Police does deter certain criminals... Plain clothes policing is absolutely huge in London..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Danzy wrote: »
    BLM activist?

Good man. The old mantra used to be hurry up with the trial so we can get on with the hanging. Now it's convict first. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Big news over here in NZ as the officer was a kiwi, been police both in UK and Auckland. Was due to retire in 2 months.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Totally disagree, I visit it regularly tho not this year at all, I also lived there for a number of years. Whether it is or not!? It feels very safe and is well policed, they take and tackle crime very seriously and one crime is just as bad as the next.. it has probably the best transport system/infrastructure in the World, probably the best tourists attractions with lots of well maintained pedestrian precincts and parks, fantastic markets and very helpful and empathetic transport workers and police and mountains of history.. the night life is second to none....of course you're gonna see high crime stats as they as I said already take all crime seriously.. eg: 5 of us running through a terraced street late enough one night and we were jumped out at and corralled by a police car..they had set up a sting and we're monitoring the area and all because 2 cars had been broken into on 2 previous nights. Would you see that here?

Tokyo, Munich, Singapore, Seoul and Madrid want a word with you. It beats the breaks off of anything in Ireland but public transport in London is way overpriced. The tube is also way too narrow on most lines and is a nightmare at peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tokyo subway closes at midnight so that doesn't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

Danzy wrote:
    BLM activist?

Not enough facepalms in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He is obsessed with BLM. BBC news just reported he was in handcuffs when he shot him?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Yurt! wrote: »
    Tokyo, Munich, Singapore, Seoul and Madrid want a word with you. It beats the breaks off of anything in Ireland but public transport in London is way overpriced. The tube is also way too narrow on most lines and is a nightmare at peak hours.

Munich and Madrid are fantastic
    Public transport like most thing in the UK is overhyped and despite their claims are not world leading. Munich and madrid public transport is fantastic. London despite all they have is terrible. your are usually quicker on your bike

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If suspect was on terror watch list or highly likely to be in possession of weapons why would he not have been searched when arrested and prior to put into the transport vehicle.

That's a terrible lapse in judgement.

He hardly had a gun up his arsehole so a full pat search should have picked up a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard on the news it was when his temperature was being checked that he pulled out the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm guessing like here its a 40 year sentence for killing a police officer in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RasTa wrote: »
    He is obsessed with BLM. BBC news just reported he was in handcuffs when he shot him?!

The guy he shot was brown.

If he is a BLM activist, that's a bit of an own goal.

The guy he shot was brown.

If he is a BLM activist, that's a bit of an own goal.

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

listermint wrote: »
    If suspect was on terror watch list or highly likely to be in possession of weapons why would he not have been searched when arrested and prior to put into the transport vehicle.

That's a terrible lapse in judgement.

He hardly had a gun up his arsehole so a full pat search should have picked up a firearm.

A small .22lr 2 shot pistol is very concealable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

osarusan wrote: »
    Seems like he was checked/searched but they missed the gun, which he then produced and fired.

No police guns were discharged, but he was obviously easy to apprehend after he had shot himself to the point he is in a critical condition.

Mustn't have been searched properly :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

if he was getting his temp taken it would be the first thing done when he arrived in ,

therefore likely hadn't been searched apart from a basic pat down on the street ,

given the quote from the London cop police in London are afraid of being accused of racism for doing even that

amazing the arseholes here who are trying to blame the dead cop rather than the killer or the prevailing atmosphere in the world right now.

cops being shot and killed in the states regularly now just because they are cops while cities burn in memory of drug dealers thieves and criminals killed in the course of their criminal careers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mustn't have been searched properly :(

Apparently the officer who got shot was actually using hand-held metal detector when the suspect who was handcuffed drew the gun shooting them both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's tough to be a policeman in the UK these days.

The general public know that the police have been emasculated.

Hence there is little respect for them.

Afraid of being branded as racist if they "stop and search" known gang members.

Chased off by youngsters at raves.

Pulling back during the 2011 riots and allowing the rioters to cause mayhem. In Eltham, the English Defence League (effectively football hooligans) protected their area in the absence of the police. They were very successful too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about Breonna Taylor. Breonna was shot while in the hall standing near her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, who fired one shot through the door when he heard knocking on it. Walker's bullet struck one of the three cops on the leg, requiring surgery. The cops returned fire and that's when Breonna Taylor was fatally wounded. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not quite the execution you are trying to paint.

No matter what jurisdiction you are in, if you fire at cops first and hit one in the leg, they are going to fire back.

Is it that clear cut though - police knock on door, guy fires through door and police fire back.

Was it not initially reported that the police bust through door without announcing they where police (seemingly this tactic is allowed in certain circumstances), hence why the guy fired at them - unstandable if you ask me.

So this means it's a person with a gun (permit holder I presume) protecting their person and property, not some guy shooting someone who knocks on his door.

If what I've said is true, then the police are at fault 100%, whether or not it was intentional.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breonna-taylor-police.html

Reason for edit - to add link. Police definitely 100% at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Is it that clear cut though - police knock on door, guy fires through door and police fire back.

Was it not initially reported that the police bust through door without announcing they where police (seemingly this tactic is allowed in certain circumstances), hence why the guy fired at them - unstandable if you ask me.

So this means it's a person with a gun (permit holder I presume) protecting their person and property, not some guy shooting someone who knocks on his door.

If what I've said is true, then the police are at fault 100%, whether or not it was intentional.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breonna-taylor-police.html

Reason for edit - to add link. Police definitely 100% at fault

Revolting comment. The vermin criminal who shot him was 100% to blame.

All this disgusting police blaming and victim blaming. An honourable hardworking family man is dead. He went to work to help and keep the peace and keep streets and communities safe.

This kind of comment and mentality just makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dd973 wrote: »
    Spent more years there than anywhere else, in one of it's dismal overspill suburbs but would still never regard it as a place of origin or self-identify with it, it belongs to everybody yet it's still nowheresville, soulless, a place without any discernible personality. Londoners and their flat monotone accents are as boring as the place as well. People are just going out in Brussels or Madrid when 90% of London's rubbish pubs are closing up for the night for the place to become a deadzone.

Give me Manchester or the Pool any day of the week.

Sorry you had a bad time there. I loved my years living there, best city in the world hands down. Tired of London tired of life.

Revolting comment. The vermin criminal who shot him was 100% to blame.

All this disgusting police blaming and victim blaming. An honourable hardworking family man is dead. He went to work to help and keep the peace and keep streets and communities safe.

This kind of comment and mentality just makes me sick.

Did you read anything I said!? Granted it was off topic.

In regards to OP, simple error ended in tragedy. Contrary to what you may think, police are human and make mistakes. And who's blaming victims?!

Imagine getting killed in the line of duty and people talk about "error ended in tragedy". That phrase is used when the tragedy is a direct result of the error, like an electrocution due to a mistake. The police officer is dead because a man decided to kill him, not because of some mistake with frisking.

Imagine getting killed in the line of duty and people talk about "error ended in tragedy". That phrase is used when the tragedy is a direct result of the error, like an electrocution due to a mistake. The police officer is dead because a man decided to kill him, not because of some mistake with frisking.

Yes, but the man was able to murder the poor guy because of an error. If there had of been no error, then the man would still be alive, so the phrase "error ended in tragedy" is factual correct - it neither condones the action or excuses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

boardise wrote: »
    There's something particularly gut wrenching about the murder of a police officer given the nature of what they're required to do...generally unarmed they come into contact with the dregs of society , the desperate ,the disturbed, the deranged as well as fanatical terrorists and unprincipled psychopaths.
    The last such murder in Ireland I think was Garda Adrian Donohoe - as foul a cold blooded episode as you'll find.
    How they restrain themselves from tearing a police killer limb from limb amazes me. I believe the death penalty should be available for a convicted killer of a police officer.

Anyone who attacks the institutions of a state should be charged with treason

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mynamejeff wrote: »
    given the quote from the London cop police in London are afraid of being accused of racism for doing even that

amazing the arseholes here who are trying to blame the dead cop rather than the killer or the prevailing atmosphere in the world right now.

This is bull. Randomly stopping and search thousands of black people because they are black so must be criminals is not seen as the same as properly searching someone thats arrested by anyone.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    cops being shot and killed in the states regularly now just because they are cops while cities burn in memory of drug dealers thieves and criminals killed in the course of their criminal careers

Cities are not burning, thats hyperbole and cops are not being killed at any higher rate than before.

The truth of the matter in america is that cops are undertrained on how to be proper police and overtrained on how to use force against people.

Theres a reason they kill the public at such a high rate (if it was the same rate here the Gardai would be killing 17 people a year. imagine the outrage if the Gardai were killing between 1and 2 people very single month). Their training is **** and teach them to treat everyone as a threat. They seriously lack the ability to deescalate situations and a huge amount of them have been through a course made up by a grifter.

They need to be educated that minorities are actual human beings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its odd. All the right wingers in the US banging on about how they need to have their guns and that if anyone so much as steps on their property they will shoot them. Suddenly theyre bending over backwards to say how this guy was in the wrong.

Same as every time theres a video of a cop killing or attacking someone black, they have the previous records within minutes, but the multiple complaints against the cop or previous discipline record doesnt get brought up.....

Then they go straight to "look at this black on black crime from this article, how come youre not marching for this if youre BLM " without any hint of reasoning that the police are actually supposed to be above the level of criminals that kill people.

Advertisement