Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police officer killed

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Is it that clear cut though - police knock on door, guy fires through door and police fire back.

Was it not initially reported that the police bust through door without announcing they where police (seemingly this tactic is allowed in certain circumstances), hence why the guy fired at them - unstandable if you ask me.

So this means it's a person with a gun (permit holder I presume) protecting their person and property, not some guy shooting someone who knocks on his door.

If what I've said is true, then the police are at fault 100%, whether or not it was intentional.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breonna-taylor-police.html

Reason for edit - to add link. Police definitely 100% at fault

The house was being search in the manner it was because Miss Taylor (fired as a emt for her criminal activities ) and her fella (multiple convictions ) were nut deep in drug and gun trafficking , I would be amazed if he was a legal permit holder given his criminal record , there is also the fact that a cop was shot before she was hit by the cops firing back.

not sure why your trying to make this about the ****e in America when its not .

lots of lies about the case but it seems the grand jury had actual facts and acted accordingly abet excessively imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

He had it in his ass
    And 5 bullets

This is bull. Randomly stopping and search thousands of black people because they are black so must be criminals is not seen as the same as properly searching someone thats arrested by anyone.

Cities are not burning, thats hyperbole and cops are not being killed at any higher rate than before.

The truth of the matter in america is that cops are undertrained on how to be proper police and overtrained on how to use force against people.

Theres a reason they kill the public at such a high rate (if it was the same rate here the Gardai would be killing 17 people a year. imagine the outrage if the Gardai were killing between 1and 2 people very single month). Their training is **** and teach them to treat everyone as a threat. They seriously lack the ability to deescalate situations and a huge amount of them have been through a course made up by a grifter.

They need to be educated that minorities are actual human beings.

Stopping this fella would seem to have been a good idea though ,given he was walking around with a loaded gun.

Well up past ONE BILLION dollars in property damage now , that's a lot of damage no ?

Investing in police training is almost always a great idea , assuming the public is on your side in general ,
    Why do you think gardai aren't shooting 17 people a year ?

could it be to do with less people carrying guns ?

Its odd. All the right wingers in the US banging on about how they need to have their guns and that if anyone so much as steps on their property they will shoot them. Suddenly theyre bending over backwards to say how this guy was in the wrong.

Same as every time theres a video of a cop killing or attacking someone black, they have the previous records within minutes, but the multiple complaints against the cop or previous discipline record doesnt get brought up.....

Then they go straight to "look at this black on black crime from this article, how come youre not marching for this if youre BLM " without any hint of reasoning that the police are actually supposed to be above the level of criminals that kill people.

Convicted criminals do not have legal firearms.

The police are above the criminals, thats why they only fired when an officer was shot at and injured.

perhaps a few dead police first in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

mynamejeff wrote: »
    The house was being search in the manner it was because Miss Taylor (fired as a emt for her criminal activities ) and her fella (multiple convictions ) were nut deep in drug and gun trafficking , I would be amazed if he was a legal permit holder given his criminal record , there is also the fact that a cop was shot before she was hit by the cops firing back.

not sure why your trying to make this about the ****e in America when its not .

lots of lies about the case but it seems the grand jury had actual facts and acted accordingly abet excessively imo

Sources for any of these claims please? My understanding is that Taylor's EX boyfriend, not the current partner that was with her the night she was killed, was the one with drug convictions and the reason the police visited the property in the first place. I've seen nothing anywhere suggesting any criminality on Taylor or her partner's account.

And RIP to the officer who was murdered of course.

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »
    Sources for any of these claims please? My understanding is that Taylor's EX boyfriend, not the current partner that was with her the night she was killed, was the one with drug convictions and the reason the police visited the property in the first place. I've seen nothing anywhere suggesting any criminality on Taylor or her partner's account.

And RIP to the officer who was murdered of course.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/63943132/breonna-taylor-summary-redacted1

here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She wasn't fired from her job and had zero disaplinary on her employment records

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Where exactly in that will I find the evidence that her and her partner were involved in gun/drug trafficking and that she was fired from her job for this? I've searched the boyfriends name in the document and can't find any mention of the criminal record you refer to.

I think Jeff is confused.

She changed jobs but I don't recall reading that it was as a result of any issues.

Neither person in the property has a criminal record. There's nothing of any real note, at least publicly to suggest they were involved in criminal behavior

The firearm was legally held and the law allowed the owner to use it in self defence.

The police were executing a valid warrant. It was a no knock warrant. The officers on being fired upon, are legally entitled to fire back. They did so.

The decision regarding charges was correct. That doesn't mean that it was handled well, it doesn't mean that there's no issue. There is and it's a very plain one: no knock warrants.

I'm genuinely amazed that they exist for anything other than very high level arrest warrants served by swat. It screams "cluster ****" to use them in a state that allows both firearm ownership and the castle doctrine.

You are in uniform or a clearly marked raid jacket. You announce yourself at the door. You don't need to wait for the kettle to be put on but a vocal announcement a few seconds before up start kicking the door in would have probable avoided a death and a police wounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

don't you think your edgy hip cool anti cop cop hating agenda would be better suited to another thread ?

Huh?

Where do you infer that I hate cops? I don't.

Having said which, I think that tooling up a force with guns that they have enormous latitude to use with lethal effect and allowing them to batter down a "suspect's" door without prior announcement and then to fire 32 shots in reply to one, which they provoked, resulting in an innocent woman's death.....is not a good thing.

Shootings by police in this country are rare indeed (they don't carry guns anyway mostly) and that's a good thing. Gunning down an innocent nurse just turns half a country against their police. That's NOT a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Why do you think gardai aren't shooting 17 people a year ?

could it be to do with less people carrying guns ?

I think the word in the American Version of our supposedly common language that is most appropriate in response to that is .....DUH!!

Whatever way you look at this incident it screams about the insanity of American gun culture. The NRA crowd have as one of their major arguments that it is necessary to arm the populace to safeguard themselves against government tyranny. But by the same token they want the police to safeguard themselves against "Bad Guys" (and their girlfriends,or even ex-girlfriends)

The result is that about 50 American police are killed by "bad guys" every year and about 1000 people, the overwhelming majority of them American citizens, are shot dead by police. That's not including deaths resulting from kneeling on one's neck or choking somebody out.

How's that "guarding the populace against government tyranny" idea working out for you?

Advertisement