Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth university want to share details with HSE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So the Doughboys came back from the front and suddenly there was a spike in numbers. Later this number decreased? The dough boys were on the front lines some for atleast 2 years and then the came home and there was a spike in numbers?

Take a look at the dates on the graph.

So the Doughboys came back from the front and suddenly there was a spike in numbers. Later this number decreased? The dough boys were on the front lines some for atleast 2 years and then the came home and there was a spike in numbers?

No, it was public parade, it had nothing to do with soldiers coming home, not sure where you are getting that from (oh wait, yes I do, your strong case of confirmation bias).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Take a look at the dates on the graph.

Not enough data on the graph or the post do draw a conclusion

No, it was public parade, it had nothing to do with soldiers coming home, not sure where you are getting that from (oh wait, yes I do, your strong case of confirmation bias).

Why would you have a parade for the soldiers coming home without the soldiers?

Doesnt every soldier who came home deserve a parade unless they lost?

There's enough to show that it was before huge numbers of troops returned as the parade was held months before the war ended.

• Advertisement

Not a problem. I shall gladly show you more data, then you can come up with a different reason to ignore the data instead of considering that your belief may in fact be wrong.

Below is the data from 1918 for what was largest peak size of cases for US cities that both didn't introduce a form of social distancing (grey bar) and those that did (black bar)
    dNX356m.png

and here is likewise the cumulative death rate for those cities.
    wxVXtD5.png

Source

Why would you have a parade for the soldiers coming home without the soldiers?

Doesnt every soldier who came home deserve a parade unless they lost?

You don't know the slightest thing about what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

There's enough to show that it was before huge numbers of troops returned as the parade was held months before the war ended.

Troops get rotated all the time, it gets weary at the front being gassed, shelled, shot at, flamed and being sent over the top for cannon fodder. They try to have soldiers on 6 month rotations. I used to read Charleys war, still have hard back copies.

Apart from not noticing the dates on the graph, America joined the first world war in April 1917, with the first troops arriving in Europe in June 1917. The war ended in November 1918, with some remaining on in Europe until 1919.

You don't know the slightest thing about what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

Well of course there was a spike in flu numbers. There was no flu before they arrived home then they arrived home and numbers when up and of course soldiers being soldiers were in every cathouse as well

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Apart from not noticing the dates on the graph, America joined the first world war in April 1917, with the first troops arriving in Europe in June 1917. The war ended in November 1918.

There is no year on the graph.....

Well of course there was a spike in flu numbers. There was no flu before they arrived home then they arrived home and numbers when up and of course soldiers being soldiers were in every cathouse as well

What on Earth are you even waffling about? Nobody once mentioned that the parade was for soldiers coming home. Not only that, but I even said exactly what it was for. You have made up your own belief about what the parade was for without reading what I wrote properly because you want to make sure it fits your own agenda.

And my two last graphs have nothing to do with that parade, they mare made using data from dozens of cities.

I posted a link to the source, Jesus wept. Stop clinging to straws.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are no healthy people dying if anything the death rate is down on the same period on this time last year.

Less traffic, less drink related accidents, more people exercising and people just staying would bring a death rate down. If everything starts back up, it'll shoot right past normal

If you're the standard of modern student in our unis (and I've worked in some) I'm bloody worried.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Less traffic, less drink related accidents, more people exercising and Pepe.just staying would bring a death rate down. If everything starts back up, it'll shoot right past normal

If you're the standard of modern student in our unis (and I've worked in some) I'm bloody worried.

What about the people who are being denied cancer treatments and elective surgerys? What about people dying of poverty? what was that quote in the Big Short? for every 1% unemployment in the USA 40,000 people die.

Link to the graph source was provided in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just got this email this morning from Maynooth University. They want to just share details with the HSE.

"I wish to let you know that Maynooth University may share your contact details (name, telephone number, email address) with the HSE to support the contact tracing work of the public health authorities.

The University will only share this data in order to assist the public health authorities with contacting students or staff who may have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for Covid-19. You can be assured that only these limited contact details will be shared and solely to comply with public health requirements. Your student ID number or other personal identifying data will not be shared.

The University has developed the MU Check-in App, which you are encouraged to download and use (available from Google Play Store and Apple Store). This App allows you to scan the QR code for the seat you occupy in each teaching venue so that your location is noted. The location data and the contact details will be used to help the University support the work of the HSE public health teams who may contact you if necessary. I wish to assure you that the University will not use any data collected by the App for any other purpose."

They dont monitor microchipped dogs this way!! Where are GPRD rules?

Anyway, back on topic. I've been on site for the last 3 weeks in class and the check in app and qr codes only went live today (Friday).

Only complaint is that the tape sticking the QR code on the desk reflects the ceiling lamp, so it can be tricky to get a decent scan.

The labs, in the Eolas Building anyway, are all split with every second computer blocked out so you're not sitting directly beside anyone at all.

If you want to be on site with multiple people from different households, play by the (non-mandatory) rules. If not, you can remote in on Microsoft Teams and Moodle.

You do realise American soldiers brought Spanish flu to Europe, not the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What about the people who are being denied cancer treatments and elective surgerys? What about people dying of poverty? what was that quote in the Big Short? for every 1% unemployment in the USA 40,000 people die.

Nobody is dying of poverty and rightly so. Nobody is denied cancer treatment and the elective surgery may be for something that is less threatening than getting Covid.

What do you propose is done? Let Covid run rampant which will wreck the economy anyway and fill the hospitals so that many people do not get treatment?

You do realise American soldiers brought Spanish flu to Europe, not the other way?

I think you already know that he did not know that, but will imply that he did in his reply. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes something about stagnant water on a pig farm during a hot summer? Then the lads joined the army and they were all in cramped barracks, the army swept it under the table and proceeded on? There it spread across the camps and then across the lines and then the fronts with returning soldiers.

I think you already know that he did not know that, but will imply that he did in his reply. :pac:

Amazed how I learned all that history in 4 minutes?

Amazed how I learned all that history in 4 minutes?

It took you 4 minutes to copy that from a webpage? Slow down old man! :pac:

So I assume you've chosen to ignore my last two graphs because you don't like that they go against your agenda?

Nobody is dying of poverty and rightly so. Nobody is denied cancer treatment and the elective surgery may be for something that is less threatening than getting Covid.

What do you propose is done? Let Covid run rampant which will wreck the economy anyway and fill the hospitals so that many people do not get treatment?

Let nature take its course. There are some Saps out there waiting for a vaccine that will never come in time.

It took you 4 minutes to copy that from a webpage? Slow down old man! :pac:

So I assume you've chosen to ignore my last two graphs because you don't like that they go against your agenda?

Hey I am only human but I will digest them and return with an answer. No I watched a Youtube Video at the height of the "Scamdemic". I was more focusing on the financial collapse at the time and buying Ryanair.

Let nature take its course. There are some Saps out there waiting for a vaccine that will never come in time.

So, you want to throw some very vulnerable people under the bus so people who aren't really vulnerable at all don't have to be inconvenienced. Gotcha.

Hey I am only human but I will digest them and return with an answer. No I watched a Youtube Video at the height of the "Scamdemic". I was more focusing on the financial collapse at the time and buying Ryanair.

You sure didn't take your time to digest the first graph when you misread what it was saying, so yes I recommend taking to your time on this occasion. Be sure not reply with any more waffling until you do as you may conclude that you were wrong this whole time and your own waffle may end up embarrassing you.

So, you want to throw some very vulnerable people under the bus so people who aren't really vulnerable at all don't have to be inconvenienced. Gotcha.

When your time is up its up. Its one of the signs of collapsing society trying to unnaturally extend life.
    There are heaps of more but that would be way off the thread

You sure didn't take your time to digest the first graph when you misread what it was saying, so yes I recommend taking to your time on this occasion. Be sure not reply with any more waffling until you do as you may conclude that you were wrong this whole time and your own waffle may end up embarrassing you.

We will see. You are not one of my lecturers btw?

• Advertisement

We will see. You are not one of my lecturers btw?

Unless you are studying physics/maths/engineering in UCD, then no I am not.

Strange question. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement