Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

14 ish per bale to mow, rake bale and wrap. I draw in myself.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

115 a roll.

Think it would be fair to put it about 4.50 a bale.

• Advertisement

107/ roll. Approx 3.5/ bale at 4 layers, 4.5/ bale at 5 layers

Slava Ukrainii

There are hookers in Amsterdam less f.....

Enough about the state of Dutch rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I was just stating the facts, every man for himself at the end of the day…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

I might be disagreeing with him...I'm not so sure the productive farmer scaling back or being forced to scale back is such a bad thing tbh....

Behaviors and outcomes I see labelled as "productivity" are only productive in terms of units produced, it aint productive for peoples bottom line as a whole afaics its counterproductive when it comes to getting a fair price for the produce.

• Advertisement

This is also true, the problem with lower stocking is that it certainly can increase profit per animal it also is hampered by lack of yield.

The farmer getting a vastly smaller portion of the price of beef compared to most of recorded history. People wanting ever cheaper food and that embedded in European politics and outlook.

The problems ultimately are far above the farm gate.

I was using the term “productive farmer” to describe farmers who previously had medium to high sfp. Most of these farmers have decent sized farms which were once comfortably capable of a providing income for full time farmer…

In the part of country I live in it’s very evident that an off farm income is required where once a decent sized farms were once very viable

20 years ago when I bought the farm we own the beef price was 2.2/ kg. I was unlucky in that I was not farming the ref years so I got a local average SFP (10k/ year) rather than what I drew the two years after the reference period (20k average) it now about 8k ( I bought some low value entitlements in 2014/15 which kept my values decent)

However in the Intervening period beef price has gone from 2.2/ kg to 5.15. Along with that there was no AA/HE premiums or QA another 220-40c/ kg depending on stock.

The problem for many is they did not adapt. They sat drawing large payments and often stayed in unprofitable intensive systems. Larry squeezed them dry.

There is a lot of whinging from the usual suspects. These are the lads that paid fancy prices for stock last Autumn and again in January/February. I pointed out last Autumn that a lot of cattle bought needed a base of 5.5+/ kg to make any margin and cattle bought after Christmas needed a bit more.

This week I intend to slaughter a few cattle that have been at grass since February. Would I have like 5.5/kg. Yest I would but 5.15/kg will do nicely. I like it to be there in 3 weeks tine when I slaughter some more of these cattle that we're out early.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭older by the day

Thanks for that honesty. But even you will admit that for you to make a profit is to be as tight as a ducks ass.

Firstly you will try and find cattle that the fellows who reared them will make a loss.

Then search and scrimp on any price.

Then you have good land which reduce land reclamation and fertilizer.

So is that the way to go?

Are there just too many calves born in spring. Should there be euthanasia for the nonprofitable fr type

I housed cattle on the 15th of October, that was 2 weeks after they were in a sacrifice paddock, cause I was hoping the weather would improve. They had access to round bales from October 1st. Sure it was the wettest month I've ever seen.

They went out April 15th, I was earlier than most neighbours, and I could probably have left them in another 10 days. They could easily have gone in the 1st of October as well.

Sure if i tell myself that I'll clear anything worth while from them, that's me kidding myself.

I wish everyone well and hope that ye do clear Money on them but for me the scale of cash flow out throughout the year is more of a problem. I have a neighbour interested in renting my slatted shed. I'm seriously considering it, keep the sheep and just walk away from cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I bumped into a cousin (outside the local butcher coincidentally) last week. He told me he got rid of the bucket-reared cattle he used to keep and just has sheep now. Cash was too long tied up in the cattle he said. Quicker turn on lamb money.

I've gone the opposite way, getting rid of the sheep and buying in calves, but I could see his point re cashflow and the lower risk/outlay for sheep.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

I can see his point...from my point of view the only problem with his plan is you'd then have to deal with sheep!

Its not so much you have to be as ''tight as a ducks ar5e'' as you put it, you just have to be aware of costs. Farming was always a tight game.

I would have no issue with a calf to beef system, it would probably work out near enough the same for me as I buy poorly do e Friesian's often which finish over 30 months and I lose QA.

My average housing date was 7-10 of November last year. This was a brilliant year for early turnout. However I only left 12 out in mid February, there was another 12 in early .arch the rest were from 20-30th March.

Last year thrive was very poor it was away too dry. Probably great on your place. I was back about 15-20kg DW compared to 2021.

This year looking much better so far. Ground was punished a bit in late March but it has recovered.

I think the poorer quality calf will cure itself as dairy farmers have to keep calves until 6 weeks. The advantage of a lot of calves born at the same time is calves will be cheaper for buyers. I am not in favor of calf slaughter.

Any system has to be adapted. I think many farmers keeping suckler's on poorer land would be better off with a mixed or sheep only enterprise. Cash flow is never an issue on an inherently profitable system especially where there is off farm employment.

Cash tied up in cattle again is not an issue if your system is profitable. I would have no issue running a calf to five year beef system if it's more profitable than my present one. I see lads selling 18-20 month Friesian's 450 kgs for 8-900 euro last autumn. Those same cattle could be cashed in for 14-1500 euro this summer

Slava Ukrainii

Haha very true not everyone likes working with sheep the same way not everyone wants to milk a batch of cows….

Personally I think the full time farmer with a decent sized farm should have better income support than a part time farmer who is educated and has a good job…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

There should be no differ in the support in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

That’s a bold statement on here. I’d say the majority on here are part time (myself included).

I am running as many cattle on as much land as many full timers but have it set up that I can work full time and farm efficiently. You are saying another man who doesn’t bother heading off to work every day should get a bigger payment than me. It’s not going to happen but it wouldn’t make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Where do you propose to leave those with limited companies farming lie.

It is a very bold statement. I'm part time similar to cavanjack, farming a good number cattle solo and holding down a full time job. The question that has to be asked by a lot of full time farmers, every hour you spend on the farm is a cost, how can you be more profitable. Most part timers here are working to make the farm more efficient per hour worked. The same should be the focus of full timers, sorry I correct it All Farmers.

Work Smarter not harder

I’m part time farming myself as well but I’d rather be full time farming do you guys not see my point…

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Lads any issue pulling meal on grass from 3kg back down to 2kg? Only started a batch on meal 2.5 weeks ago and their up to 3kg with a few days now but I'm thinking I'll reduce to 1.5/2kg as the grass is good and I'm in no rush to buy replacements so can leave them run on for another 5-6 weeks. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I wouldn’t bother going with so little any day of the year. If I’m feeding I’m feeding. 4 kg plus any time I am bothering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The 1% bodyweight rule is very easy to work. 1kg per 100kg LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I have always grass finished at 3kg a day. It's a struggle to get them to eat even 3kg a day unless I restrict their grass allotment which doesn't make sense if I have plenty grass and am in no rush to kill them. Also heard if feeding over 3kg you'd need to feed them twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you feed many together and what type troughs .Do you have to move troughs often

Advertisement