Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Which brand of 9 Volt battery electric fencer is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Buy a 9/12 volt and you will be able to work with a old car battery as well .surely cheta/elephant and gallagher are the market leaders so whjch ever is available something like a b20 cheta might suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Why all the questions about feeding meal to finishing animals at this time of the year. Fr, Her, AA will all finish easily on good quality grass. A few paddocks wrapped in mid May will generate good grass in June. Continentals different - will need meal to finish. Any more than 3 kg/day is inefficient. Grass quality is key for any finishing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

100% agree with that. Plenty of quality grass and drining water and sunshine will flesh them up nicely. Might take a little longer but will be the most efficient way if ones systems allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭older by the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Talking to a northern lad yesterday said he couldn't understand the 3 week wait to kill cattle in munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It all depends on your system. I am stocked at 170 kgN/ HA and I am stretching my land area to keep the N figure there.

Feeding a bit of meal allows me to get cattle away faster. As well I buy the lighter cheaper store generally and feed no meal during the winter so I have leeway on costs

Killed cattle last week. Two black FRX hung 348 and 331 kgs the heavier was a P+ the lighter was an O-. They netted 1680 and 1650 approx. Hung another couple if Friesian another O- 341 kgs 1715 and an O+@352 kgs making 1840.

None of them cost more than 600 as stores. But to keep the numbers I carry I have to start slaughtering in late May/ early June. 3-4 weeks extra starts cattle going over 30 months and losing QA not so much on the ones slaughtered last week but the cattle that I will get away in July and August because I have managed to these lads away last week.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

My agent seems more anxious for cattle this week, we might be in for a hardening of prices at last.

What are the benefits of spreading sweet grass fertilizer will it encourage intake and reduce the need for topping?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

Has anyone got any quotes for bullocks for next week? They are only offering me 5.00 in the midlands for next Thursday. Down 10 cent so if that's the case.

• Advertisement

I can't believe how much cattle prices have dropped in the past month to 6 weeks how to calculate how the cattle bought at the high prices can be profitable? Has to be a loss making operation.

Finishing cattle out if a shed without a contract is a gamble. Costs are just too high. An AA grading R- would need to kill 335 kgs DW to clear 1800 euro. That is about 650 LW. What would he have cost @ 460-480 kgs last January and February.

With the base price dropping you are losing money. If he graded O+ you would be back 40-45 euro. No flat pricing at present. As well at present any bullocks will be gone stale.

Work the sums on a lot of the cattle bought after the New year and mist are breaking even only.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yea a disaster alright...never mind the shed cattle.

Came across this it's details on a Kepak feedlot

Basically they are producing there own feed in the live of grains and silage. I like to know is the grains going in at cost or at commercial value.

The real stinger for me is these cattle are considered as grass fed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Depending on getting store cattle out early in March can be nearly as much a gamble.On heavier ground it's the end of April most years resulting on meal being fed in August for finishing.Very rarely would any cattle 500kg+ see grass again here after October.i prefer to kill them by Christmas and buy 400-450kg to replace them and store these till march in the hope for an early turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And they'll have to do more of it as farmers move to the easy option of producing beef off grass in the grass growing mths.

Very interesting organic farm walk last week on Stanleys where Jason said that if he didn't stay in contact with the factory he wouldn't get the bonuses, he has to base his supply on their requirements. he can have to hold lambs for up to two months

There is a huge difference cost wise between killing cattle at or around Christmas and out into March through to May/June. As well if you are dealing with young cattle and can manage to secure first movement cattle then most both Kepak and AIBP pay a bonus.

I think Kerry group are making a move in this direction as well, they are starting to pay a 10 euro bonus where calves are sould or purchased by an approved rearer. This will probably tie into the AIBP scheme and allow cattle to go to thre movement.

Slava Ukrainii

Maybe if they paid the 20-50c/ kg extra to farmers that they pay to feedlots then ordinary farmers would finish more cattle during the winter. There is many like me that have left it as we cannot compete on costs with large feedlots add in them the price risk.

Another few lads will give up late season finishing this year. If you have fed stock for 3-5 months and are now. Reading even at best and must go out to replace them you look closer at it next autumn

Slava Ukrainii

I saw the figures once for that feedlot. At the time bulls were in vogue. The broke even on the heifers and made 50e pH on the bulls. Now that was not sfp which was big at the time. I think factory owned feedlots break even but factory control feedlots must pay the farmer well but he is under terrible pressure to keep the merry go round moving.

• Advertisement

There SFP's will be converging to national averages. Probably by 2027 there payment will be in the 120-130k bracket on 360 HA. They may well be caught by capping which I think 60k+ an allowance per labour unit

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Holding on to lambs for two months as an organic farmer is a bit harsh.

Well that's an example he gave at the Farm walk, he said he'd put them on poor grass for a month to slow them down and then on to rape/kale for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Surely hearing that would be enough to turn off anyone that was there that was considering going organic? Pure lunacy to have to do something like that.

There's a lad near me who is nearly 90. He never spread a bag of manure on his place ever. It's up for rent now. Surely there must be a exception to the conversation status for his place. Now I know proving that to the powers that be is another argument but it definitely makes a laugh out of our rules and regs.

As I've said before, a lot of organic lambs go the conventional route because farmers aren't prepared to do this.

Market is improving but with all the extra organic farmers last year it'll deteriorate again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I did the organic principles course last Sept and we did a farm walk on an organic farm in Cork. The farmer told us she has to book cattle in for slaughter 6 months in advance. She rings up, they give her a date in 6 months time, and then it's take it or leave it no matter the weight/condition of the cattle. It was Angus mostly I think she had, and they were averaging 450-550kg live weight at slaughter.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Yes the organic booking in is a joke I used to kill and at one stage around 7 or 8 years ago it was nearly a year of a wait. 6 months often the norm but I was producing LM Rplus heifers at around the 350kg carcass and flat price in Organic up to that grade. Past couple of years I found it easier get in cattle then lads with O grade. A few weeks notice (Mine were fit to go May/June/July so autumn killing another story) . All that said I killed nothing this year and with amount gone in can see it going back to booking in a year in advance.

Organics really about cheque in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If there was would that mean that one would be ineligible for the higher in conversion rate from the OFS also? And for what gain, unless you've a premium market?

You'd be winning anyway on a farm like that by not having to with damaged soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What are fatstock doing in the marts now?

Advertisement