Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If they weren't fed too much ration and showing it, they're would be room for growth. Not sure of the AA and HFD going into feedlots?

If you were rearing dairy replacements on contract, I think you'd be around €1/hd/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

If the factory penalise for cattle being overfat, how much a kg do they deduct , i heard 10 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any quotes going for bullocks in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

k mac wrote: »
    If the factory penalise for cattle being overfat, how much a kg do they deduct , i heard 10 cent

Hi Kmac. It can actually be as much as 44cent depending on the grade. There’s a grid online on Slaney website and one in the ifj each week.
    The independent plants(flat pricing or conformation grades) or the mart are the place for stock if you think they’ll hit them with this.

dryan wrote: »
    Any quotes going for bullocks in the midlands?

3.85 talk of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Jjameson wrote: »
    Hi Kmac. It can actually be as much as 44cent depending on the grade. There’s a grid online on Slaney website and one in the ifj each week.
    The independent plants(flat pricing or conformation grades) or the mart are the place for stock if you think they’ll hit them with this.

Thanks for that. Jaysus thats alot, might be a better idea try Jennings, do the independent plants pay the QA, or is it just flat price on the grid

k mac wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Jaysus thats alot, might be a better idea try Jennings, do the independent plants pay the QA, or is it just flat price on the grid

They generally pay an all in price. Jennings are a better buyer in the mart than on the phone at the minute I’m told!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any beef prices for this morning

bullocks @ 3.80 base was the best i could manage for a few today - Weight restrictions kicking in at 460kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

bullocks @ 3.80 base was the best i could manage for a few today - Weight restrictions kicking in at 460kg.

If it kicks in at 460 I couldn't complain too much not many fall into that caterory.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    If it kicks in at 460 I couldn't complain too much not many fall into that caterory.

The initial offer was 440kg limit.
    I pushed them on it and they upped it to 460 - luckily i did as the heaviest lad came in at 455kg.

The initial offer was 440kg limit.
    I pushed them on it and they upped it to 460 - luckily i did as the heaviest lad came in at 455kg.

What was the penalty going to be for over 460?

Penalty for going over the 460kg was a flat rate payment of 3.80/kg, no bonuses.

Agent was saying that they just dont want the heavy carcasses, no market for them.

Safer showing cattle in marts at 3.80. Let them fight over them online . Mart prices are well over 4.10

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think most go for a straight 20c/kg deduction which in reality takes away your QA

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Saw some CHX bullocks sold in Dowra (i think) on Saturday
    890 2200
    860 2040
    765 1950
    775 1870
    725 1650

All between 23-25 months supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

tanko wrote: »
    Saw some CHX bullocks sold in Dowra (i think) on Saturday
    890 2200
    860 2040
    765 1950
    775 1870
    725 1650

All between 23-25 months supposedly.

Few of them bullocks may have been forgotten about in the corner of a field for a few months before being registered if they were that age....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

grange mac wrote: »
    Few of them bullocks may have been forgotten about in the corner of a field for a few months before being registered if they were that age....

Them rushes are hoors

Reggie. wrote: »
    Them rushes are hoors

Ya that why all the hurling is in the tillage area's. If you cannot find a calf what chance of finding a slitor in the rushes

Slava Ukrainii

Any deadweight prices for today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What would a 36 month old heifer U- 3= 390kgs be worth in a factory this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

At €3.90 base a kg she would come into €4.02 as a u- so €1567 before deductions if she was over 36months. Under 36 months she’d make 8cent more a kg.

It would depend if she was under it over 36 months. Present base is 3.85-3.9/kg.
    U36 months add 12 c/ kg for grading and8c/ kg QA.

U36 months @3.9 base total price 4 1/kg =1599 euro

Over 36months no QA and mane 10c off the base probably definately if you got 3.9/kg

Over 36 months 3.9 base total price 3.92/kg =1528euro

I hope whoever had her slaughtered her u36 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

what base are steers and heifers this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I am hearing €3.85 for steers and €3.90 for Heifers. €3.95 and €4 can be got in Donegal if between 280 Kgs and 380 Kgs DW & QA, but I hear they work their grid different (don't know never sent cattle there) so what you gain in 1 way you could loose more the other. Heavy cattle are in scarce supply so I would guess €4 base should be achievable if you have a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Robson99

How do lads see beef prices over the next 3 - 4 months ?
    Will they hover around the €4/kg through till September ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Robson99 wrote: »

They’ll drop quicker than the rose anyway. Can’t see them at €4 in sept. More like €3.8 and I’d like to think I’m an optimistic person.

I think there is a bit more left in this. Demand is strong as Europe reopens. I think the prices will strengthen another bit between now and the end of May. Cattle will not start really coming off grass until mid late June. They be trying to pull prices from late May to get lads to bring cattle off grass.

I think prices should be ok until September. There will be a serious pull from the then on cattle numbers will seriously high from November on as there is 200k extra 2020 cattle to process. One caveat is cow numbers we are now starting to see the cull of Friesian cows starting to become a factor in the beef kill. Now dairy farmers will milk the dog if it comes to it for this year anyway but down the line we will have to factor in a huge number of dairy cows into the system.

This year could be a winner for any lad that has changed over from suckler's to dairy beef. While calves were dearer if he is culling cows and slaugtering cattle he be better off than the last few years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Robson99 wrote: »

Traditional they will drop it sometime in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I think there is a bit more left in this. Demand is strong as Europe reopens. I think the prices will strengthen another bit between now and the end of May. Cattle will not start really coming off grass until mid late June. They be trying to pull prices from late May to get lads to bring cattle off grass.

I think prices should be ok until September. There will be a serious pull from the then on cattle numbers will seriously high from November on as there is 200k extra 2020 cattle to process. One caveat is cow numbers we are now starting to see the cull of Friesian cows starting to become a factor in the beef kill. Not dairy farmers will milk the dig if it comes to it for this year anyway but down the line we wl have to factor in a huge number of dairy cows into the system.

This year could be a winner for any lad that has changed over from suckler's to dairy beef. While calves were dearer if he is culling cows and slaugtering cattle he be better off than the last few years.

One finisher with 1500 cattle told me he carried most of his over the winter instead of fattening and so did a lot more winter finishers do similar.

Advertisement