Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I am hearing €3.85 for steers and €3.90 for Heifers. €3.95 and €4 can be got in Donegal if between 280 Kgs and 380 Kgs DW & QA, but I hear they work their grid different (don't know never sent cattle there) so what you gain in 1 way you could loose more the other. Heavy cattle are in scarce supply so I would guess €4 base should be achievable if you have a load.

How exactly does "on the grid" work or what exactly does it mean. Am i right in thinking for example i am sending cattle to the factory and the price they are giving is 4 euro a kg and if my cattle grade say U or R i get the QA bonus, but if i am offered and take an on the grid price this might be less, say 3.80 a kg but with this price i would get no bonus such as QA, but the other side is i would not get any deduction for being overfat, not grading U or R etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jntsnk wrote: »
    Traditional they will drop it sometime in June.

The drop in n June can be very mixed. Last year they rise in July/August. You often find this in years where numbers are tight. The processor's drop prices in late May/early June to force out the last of the cattle idiots are feeding in the shed. It also panics some lads. Supply dries up a bit in late June early July and prices stabilize or rise slightly before the serious pull in September/October

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Does Ramadan have an influence on beef demand? It has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

think it has more of an effect on sheepmeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

k mac wrote: »
    How exactly does "on the grid" work or what exactly does it mean. Am i right in thinking for example i am sending cattle to the factory and the price they are giving is 4 euro a kg and if my cattle grade say U or R i get the QA bonus, but if i am offered and take an on the grid price this might be less, say 3.80 a kg but with this price i would get no bonus such as QA, but the other side is i would not get any deduction for being overfat, not grading U or R etc.

Kmac If you sell "on the grid" for a base price of say €4, the as the grades move away from the base the prices per kg goes up or down, this is an how the prices move across the grades from the base price.

U+ U= U- R+ R= R- O+ O= O- P+
    2+ 24 18 12 6 Base Base -18 -24 -30 -36
    3 24 18 12 6 Base Base -12 -18 -24 -30
    4- 24 18 12 6 Base Base -12 -18 -24 -30
    4= 24 18 12 6 Base Base -12 -24 -30 -36
    4+ 18 12 6 0 -6 -6 -18 -24 -30 -36
    5 0 -6 -12 -18 -24 -24 -36 -42 -48 -54

https://www.agriland.ie/factory-prices/quality-based-pricing-grid-calculator/

You will get your QA bonus (and breed bonus) on cattle if they are sold either "on the grid" or at a "flat price" once they meet the requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

The drop in n June can be very mixed. Last year they rise in July/August. You often find this in years where numbers are tight. The processor's drop prices in late May/early June to force out the last of the cattle idiots are feeding in the shed. It also panics some lads. Supply dries up a bit in late June early July and prices stabilize or rise slightly before the serious pull in September/October

So in your opinion what do you think the base price will be the first week of September? Cattle seem to be scarce all right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

morphy87 wrote: »
    So in your opinion what do you think the base price will be the first week of September?

€3.80 steers. €3.85 heifers

Dunedin wrote: »
    €3.80 steers. €3.85 heifers

It would be an improvement on 3 60 from last year anyway

morphy87 wrote: »
    So in your opinion what do you think the base price will be the first week of September? Cattle seem to be scarce all right

I be afraid they would pull the stunt they pulled about 6-7 years ago in much the same situation, they promised bigger suppliers 4.2/kg and quoted the rest of us 4/kg and pulled it by 5c/kg for 2-3weeks in a row. They killed away the 4.2/kg cattle and backed up the rest of us

God only know what price it will be.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I be afraid they would pull the stunt they pulled about 6-7 years ago in much the same situation, they promised bigger suppliers 4.2/kg and quoted the rest of us 4/kg and pulled it by 5c/kg for 2-3weeks in a row. They killed away the 4.2/kg cattle and backed up the rest of us

There’s allot of northern buyers around the marts for forward stores, cattle are making allot more up there
    A stunt would be stupid and costly

• Advertisement

What would you call a large supplier at that time of the year number wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A stunt would be stupid and costly

For whom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

With restaurants/hotels closed and weddings postponed its hard to believe the price is where it is. They didn’t want cattle for the the last two years. Hopefully as Europe and the Uk opens up it’ll create more demand.
    As for the price in September it won’t take much to knock it. If there is a drought the cows will be dumped again and the price will fall fairly fast.

For whom

For them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Water John wrote: »
    Does Ramadan have an influence on beef demand? It has begun.

No. Food consumption is just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

For them

I do t see how it would ,they would still get cattle the next year nothing would change

I do t see how it would ,they would still get cattle the next year nothing would change

Prices are getting better at the moment cos lots of forward & finished stock went north
    Less finished out of the sheds which had reduced the supply
    If they drop the price, cattle will go to the ring where they’ll have to compete with the Northern buyers who are getting maybe €300 more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The independent plants, the northern buyers not waiting their turn at the mart ring are getting to be a thorn in the cartels side.
    Abp running advertising emphasising how they issue the cheque on the day is a story in itself.

Not a word of comment about it in the IFJ after running it despite it being a point of interest.
    We know why Larry is in a position to this, and it wouldn’t exactly warm the cockles of your heart like a peat fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jjameson wrote: »
    The independent plants, the northern buyers not waiting their turn at the mart ring are getting to be a thorn in the cartels side.
    Abp running advertising emphasising how they issue the cheque on the day is a story in itself.

Not a word of comment about it in the IFJ after running it despite it being a point of interest.
    We know why Larry is in a position to this, and it wouldn’t exactly warm the cockles of your heart like a peat fire!

They are being torn apart in the sales ring and romour has it that cattle are being lived shipped to the UK (not the North) to be killed.

Give Larry a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

kk.man wrote: »
    They are being torn apart in the sales ring and romour has it that cattle are being lived shipped to the UK (not the North) to be killed.

Give Larry a break.

Manchester to be exact.

• Advertisement

€4:75 all in for U grade heifers in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

YFlyer wrote: »
    No. Food consumption is just as much.

Ramadan, besides fasting by day, has feasting to break the fast at sunset, iftar. That's where the lamb is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Bought off the hoof flat or do they have to grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    €4:75 all in for U grade heifers in the North.

For southern cattle? Isn’t happening

There is huge demand for Hereford fat cattle atm. So much so that a R- grade Hereford same weight as u- continental was making same money in the Marts this week. I suspect these cattle were heading to the UK.

It's a kick in the teeth to continental suckler breeders.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Bought off the hoof flat or do they have to grade?

Theyd have to grade it.

€3:50 for p/o cows down here too.

Our local factory is killing cattle they haven't killed in years even from people they not killed for in years.

Saw an awful big tub of a bellyish cow in Mautys yesterday 845kg €1820. To be fair she was very fat but some price.

There is huge demand for Hereford fat cattle atm. So much so that a R- grade Hereford same weight as u- continental was making same money in the Marts this week. I suspect these cattle were heading to the UK.

It's a kick in the teeth to continental suckler breeders.

The Suckler game has been in trouble for the last 5 years but lads are unwilling to adapt. A U- bullock the same weight as an R- Hereford would be lacking in fat cover. I presume that these bullocks are sub 700 kgs LW. The HE because of the level.of finish should kl nearly as heavy. Add in the HE bonus and he was probably underpriced compared to the Continental bullock

Slava Ukrainii

Back in January/February I predicted that lamb price would rise but also sustain for a long period. It came with a a health warning but I was proved right.

Now beef price prediction. Beef price will also rise and sustain till the late autumn where then it will drop. I base this on the following:
    1. UK price well in excess of 5e and Irish nomad cattle sought after.
    2. The reopening of the catering trade throughout Europe.
    3. The on going high exports from South America and oceanica into Asia.
    4. Irish cattle numbers less this year than last.
    5. Finally I saw a few weeks back I saw a factory docket from a double trailer of a mixed bag of cattle given 4e flat on it's contents. This same large finisher was given 4.25 on a single load of Angus that week.

I am not naming ppl or plants but that's my theory.

Back in January/February I predicted that lamb price would rise but also sustain for a long period. It came with a a health warning but I was proved right.

Now beef price prediction. Beef price will also rise and sustain till the late autumn where then it will drop. I base this on the following:
    5. Finally I saw a few weeks back I saw a factory docket from a double trailer of a mixed bag of cattle given 4e flat on it's contents. This same large finisher was given 4.25 on a single load of Angus that week.

If you were to predict a price for late August early September what would you predict the base price to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dont forget that barbecues are up 60% aswell

Advertisement