Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Aly Daly

25/30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

25-30 here also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

70ish finished yearly. But all on farm from 4wks of age at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

about 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

I’ve a 30 month old bullock with a bad foot not broken but badly sprained. Would the factory dock you for an animal like that ?

Not used of factories only a mart man normally thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

You need a vet letter fit to travel and be killed otherwise a lame animal will be rejected. I had to do that in the past. Is it fit to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Around 50 plus a few cull cows.

@westlander you would probably be best get a cert / letter from your vet stating that the animal is fit to travel, is suitable for the food chain & his withdrawal periods have been adhered to. Maybe talk to someone as well that brings cattle to the factory you intend going to as some vets are more difficult than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Thanks lads for that info didn’t know that at all. Yes he is fit to travel alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Also when you drop him to the lairage( preferably one you regularly deal with) let the staff know about it and they pen him separately and get him put up the chute when it is quite..

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Just ring the factory and tell them you’ve a bullock to kill that’s a bit lame. They’ll not dock you as long as he is fat.

No need for vet cert. As long as he can walk off the trailer and up the shoot he’s grand. I could have several of these a year. It’s no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Any quotes for next week?

Is it 4.60 for bullocks?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lorne Armstrong

Any opinion on should I sell my Friesian cull cows or buy the meal and finish them myself or maybe dry them off now and just leave them on silage and let them flesh up a bit and sell in the new year??

I finish them nearly every year anyway. I swore last year was the last time I would do that. Mart prices at the moment look to be very poor for the seller anyway at moment.

What would the outlook be for them in term's of mart price or factory price at the start of next year price wise or are we talking crystal ball stuff ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Crystal Ball.

I think it's a question of how are you for space, nitrates and silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lorne Armstrong

I wouldn't even consider it if feed or nitrates was an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

Have a load going at 4.65 for bullocks next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Heavy cattle seem to be back a fair bit were as lighter types especially bulls are absolutely flying

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This makes interesting reading. With so many cows being offloaded, despite the best efforts of factories trying to only deal with dry cows and eliminate the dealers of our of the parlour cows, they have flooded into the lairages. Couple this with the drop of over 1000 bullocks in the weekly kill, numbers are going to tighten really quickly. Add in the rise in exports of cattle and the northern buyers, prices are resting on a cigarette paper

The rise that happened in the run up to Christmas last year, I feel will happen earlier and sharper. Cattle are lighter going into sheds, tight fodder supplies

The crystal ball of beef farming has taken a sharp but interesting turn

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

The great unknown is how much the processors have committed to the supermarkets for the next 6 months.

Numbers were forecast to be very tight in April-June this year. Lads bought stores at ridiculous prices in Dec-Mar last hoping they'd have Larry ringing them on a Saturday evening in May 'desperate' for cattle. That never happened. Larry knew supplies would be tight and reduced the quantities promised to supermarkets, reduced factories to a 3/4 day week during the period and tipped along at a sub 30k kill. Nobody could have seen prices being cut from April on. Well played Larry.

I hope you're right but we are dealing with a cartel that will do anything to keep the price paid to the farmer low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Hopefully you're right and there will be a squeeze.

I'm trying to hold back cattle as long as I can in the hope of a rise.

Was quoted 4.60 for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There was another factor at play last spring. A wet March prevented turnout so lads that had cattle in sheds started to feed them therefore they finished earlier in May. Yes Larry and Conrad not over committed to contracts but part of the reason for the glut was lads continuing to feed instead of putting cattle to grass

Christmas contracts would probably be entered into late summer, the poor autumn may have thrown any assumptions off course.

The autumn has as well thrown the cull cow trade into disarray as the number and quality. They will not be there after Christmas or out next May to provide kill numbers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

There is something going on alright..mart prices are creeping up from a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Our local has gave all Thursday and Friday ringing around looking for cattle. The previous 3 weeks if you rang them they wouldn't answer u back. Funny how fast it turned.

With the chinese exports suspended is there likely to be a drop in beef price?

The heavy cattle don't seem to be in the marts etc so it shouldn't matter too much?

Heavy cattle certainly not around...I don't think China made up the factories much between a closed kill and the cost of transport around the world. The offal will be a big loss. If cattle are plentiful then China helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I got 4.60 from larry today for 5 HEX bullocks.

10c breed bonus

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Where was this?

If you kill a lot of HEX bullocks and the factory you go to runs the scheme you should join the Hereford society.

It increases the bonus from 10c to 20c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What are R grade cows making in the factory?

Advertisement