Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Things must be starting to favour the seller.a man from donegal came two & a half hours on a tractor with a trailer load of cattle to liffey bjd today.

Never seen as many fridge trailers moving about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Bullocks freely making 4.65 for the week gone, south east

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Heard of an agent looking for bullocks to bring up the north yesterday. €4.80 base

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Robson99

Everybody hold for a week or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

With the weather improving, people should hold and forget about this 30 months for awhile and see what will happen,but agents are ringing around looking for cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Cattle got a good lift in Tullow marts yesterday, watch marts and do your sums before you sell this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Better weather and good grass growth should tighten up supply next week too

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Alot of cattle gone into sheds with the weather in the past 2 -3 weeks causing a bit of a shortage for the next weeks according to my agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

But they r not paying big monies only up 5c from the bottom and stores thru the roof. Makes no sense as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

After the calm....the storm.

The time to buy was 2-6 weeks ago. The market is the market. May to August cattle are always value

Slava Ukrainii

Numbers are small in marts between May and August so it's not as easy as just saying that was the time. You could have a lot of running and racing done. Plus IMO store cattle have been too dear for the past month. Can only see them coming back in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Kk man the last thing the factories want to do is lift the base price at the minute. Some are giving €4.65 plus a 10 cent "suppliers bonus". They love the old close & mirrors stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Anyone following the English beef trade ? British Farming Forum reporting a big increase in fat cattle price particularly beef cows . Albeit from a lower base in 2023 than 2022 but it would indicate a significant increase in demand over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Thats effectively € 4.75 base .

Time to start looking for € 5 base .For starters !

No running. Just use LSL after you have a couple bought hook up the box and head away for them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s perfect for lads dealing in small numbers but any lad buying a selling any substantial amount would be on the road every day if only buying in 2’s and 3’s.

Box will carry 5-6 250-400kg stores. Will often have another 1-2 bought before I hit the mart. You will waste as much time hanging around a mart. Two and a half hours will go for collect and bring home a load. Depending on when you buy during the summer add 18-20kgs per month to weight before housing.

A June bought store is at least 80-100kgs heavier by November housing. You will buy lighter coloured stores at 2-2.2/kg. Bought 330-350kg friesians earlier in the summer for 1.6-1.8/kg.

Greater numbers do not necessarily mean greater profit. Too much competition for the more forward a store is with less room for margin. Cattle bought in the early mid part of one year and hung in the middle of the following year can leave a gross profit of 1k with very little ration fed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t dispute anything you’ve said there but I wonder did you reply to the wrong person because very little of your post has anything to do with my post you replied to?

My post was that lads buying in bigger amounts of cattle don’t like buying 2 or 3 at a time from small sales or they’d be on the road every day. That will be the case no matter what time of year it is or what the prices are.

Also a lot of beef farmers would be in full time jobs as well so wouldn’t have the freedom to come and go to marts at the drop of a hat so when they’re buying they’ll buy what they want in a short enough time frame and it’s another job off the list.

If a lad has to take half days from work to be trying to get his stock bought in with smaller loads he won’t be long using half his holidays up and the few euro he’ll save on the price of the stock isn’t worth it then. And maybe a wife/partner at home giving out that he’s never there with them or the kids! It’s not all about money sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Would that person ur talking about there that the wifes rearing up on dbk1 not be better getting a guy who goes to all the marts to do the buying for him if he let's him know wat he's after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I tried that a few years ago. Had one good man buying but they were coming too slow. Had a couple of other lads then that I just couldn’t trust.

The way forward for the man that doesn’t have time because of home life is to buy them online. If you are left with one or two most marts will get someone to drop them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Anyone that is that is getting someone else to buy for them isnt overly concerned about price or profit.

Margin is too tight to be cutting some luder into the deal that is too lazy to work and not smart enough to do anything else (like show cattle again or get job totally outside farming)

I get about 25% of my cattle bought for me and it's bigger job to watch the guys buying for me than to buy myself.

I always remember when I started first there was big fallout around the ring. One dealer/agent took everyone on and bought everysort of cattle 200 dearer than anywhere else all week.

After sale he was on phone around a corner in car park explaining how sale 'was on floor and he had 12 light cattle that would suit your job'. That was followed by 'i know you weren't going to buy for few weeks but I just thought of you and those will never be bought as cheep again'

Some poor sucker that worked hard all week or possibly all his life do the same dealer could pretend he had biggest mickey around ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Why would you let a lad buy cattle for you that you don’t trust,

I cover 5 marts and can't think of anyone there that buys for others that I haven't seen pulling stroke.

I retract that

I know 1 guy. But he just buys the number of cattle you need on the day price is not important. His attitude is they were worth it to someone else and I don't get paid if I don't buy them. Often seen cattle fall 100 after he had his order filled.

Also I have yet to find a lad that is no good for himself capable of been any good to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Agree with everything u guys are saying but sometimes certain guys won't bid against other dealers and the auctioneers drop the hammer for them also quicker so maybe they can buy ur cattle a bit cheaper than u would urself.....

Don't fool yourself thinking anyone is getting them. They are the cattle they feed themselves or show in another mart. You are getting rest especially the dear ones.

Most dangerous you can fall out with around ring is someone spending someone else's money.

I regularly bring 1/2 home for local dealer as he wants whoever bought the rest of his load not to see them and everyone is happy they think they got everything he bought he gets his days wages from buyer and another from the cheep 1 I bring home when he shows later in week.

Often seen him putting cattle through next sale and getting 300+ profit after leaving them in my shed form Friday to Wednesday or reverse

With on line auctions now there should be no excuse for ppl to buy their own cattle. The dealers hate it as they don't know who's bidding and they can't intimate.

Just chatting to a friend who buys a lot of cattle last night and more or less same conversation. He was saying they are very few dealers who make it big. Most he knows haven't got penny behind the image. Like the gambler will always tell you about his winings.

It's not easy though to judge cattle from just looking at the camera mart....often find what looked good on camera was average in the pen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

If possible at all go look at them early in the morning in the pens & then bid online

Advertisement