Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cattle never went below a base of 4.6 last year if I remember right. They were slow enough to rise.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Just looked back there. Took 4.55 the last week in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Same here on the first week of November.

Price peaked in early February 2023. Got €5.60 flat price for O- and O= whiteheads on 1st February.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

I started recording the weekly price of bullocks on a spreadsheet from 1 Jan 2021. Just because my memory isn't what it used to be. I take the lowest quoted price, for the factory in the midlands I use, from the weekly one issued by the IFA. This is just to make comparatives easier.

Last year, the price dipped to 4.50 for the first 2 weeks in November. It started rising then and rose for 12 consecutive weeks, believe it or not. Peaked at 5.25 in early February this year. Dipped by 5 cent then, until early April when it rose by 5 cent again and stayed at 5.25 for 5 weeks.

Over the next 16 weeks, it fell steadily, to 4.60. It was up and down a bit since that, but has started rising again now.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A graph of this data might be helpful. If it could be correlated to feedlot numbers killed it would be even more interesting

• Advertisement

Agents are ringing looking for cattle. Can’t be a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Agent rang me earlier looking to make up a lorry load to kill tomorrow,took the pen of Angus and Hereford bullocks I posted yesterday..475 base + 20 cent Hereford/30c Angus bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Any twist out of buying a few AAx or HEx 500kg to finish out of the shed in March would you think Bass?..have plenty of really good silage here red clover at 78 dmd and grass silage at 74 dmd

• Advertisement

Could be a twist out of buying them in the 400-440kg range. This would have them a touch light for the feedlots to twist around in 60-90 days. You would have about 120 days,to bring them to over or around the 550kg mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yea keep out of their radar..on a hiding to no where. Was told agents et al to fill their sheds and finish early to mid spring.

Some marts are just a Rob for stores ATM.

There is always a twist but you need to buy the right animal. Kilmallock today ( and I was not buying)

Lot 10 410 kg Herefords butty types 750 euro killing 270 kgs(530LW) 5/kg 1400 euro.

Lot 14D FR,FRX, 670 kgs just about 70 days to oldest before 36 months 1200 euro. I expect them to grade O=Hanging 370 kgs end of January@4.9/ kg 1800 euro.

Lot 15C FR 26 months 540 kgs fleshy 700 euro. End of January 300 DW @5ish/ kg 1500 euro. ( if the department bring out a slaughter premium in the NY another 50-60 euro).

If I had being watching live I wound have followed 15C to 800 euro. They would even leave a right twist killing next June @ about 370 DW

Slava Ukrainii

It's probably the worst kept secret. It was open knowledge. My understanding it was supposed to be announced in the budget. The only reason I think it was not was because the processors want it announced just before it is implemented as if it was announced in the budget it wound have forced up prices by processors as land would have held cattle back.

All the talk last summer was starting at U30 month for 2024, U28 month for 2025, U26 months for 2027 and then U24 months.

They want to force the age of slaughter down, that's an open secret so sooner or later an incentive will be introduced. Going straight to U24 months would be too sharp for the market.

I am making an assumption and I am assuming this is the reason it was not in the budget

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thurles on fire for store fr bullocks today..somebody must know something

I’ll believe it when I see it and I’d imagine it’ll come with terms and conditions like the beam and be limited to a low number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Is there not some issue with bringing in an form of premium now in that it can't really be based on a headage system. While your SCEP is paid on your reference numbers it is also linked back to your acreage in a roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

A slaughter premium would just be a green light to processors to cut the price/kg to match. In no way would the farmer benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Sell hard lads.

The local agent knows I have cattle finishing and hasn't called me yet, mustn't be that stuck.

Anyone get any prices this week or next?

• Advertisement

Agent called in this morning after calling a couple of times yesterday. Was giving 4.80 for bulls. When he was leaving it was 4.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

I see martin coughlan in farming indo today sayin factories will have enough stock killed by dec 8th for christmas trade because cattle are hung for 3 weeks.From my knowledge from working in beef factories for 16 yrs more like 3 days hanging max in chill is whats the norm.Whos he coddin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The striploin/sirloin are packed in plastic to wet age for 3 weeks. There’s merit in what he’s saying but remember the Christmas is about the turkey and hams. Red meat consumption opens up properly in after Christmas. I must be bad at hearing badly kept secrets as I’ve heard nothing about the proposed early slaughter nonsense starting?

given that most cattle are spring born, this is November?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

From once its boned out u can forget about your "wet ageing",sure what about the other 90% of the carcase thats not striploin or sirloin.

Tbh this is to encourage a reduction in slaughter age to reduce carbon footprint. They can only reduce so much. Too many small lads walking away.

Will. It really interest me after it hits 28 months as it will incur too much costs. Present system much more profitable.

Looked at the ABP advantage scheme. For once moved cattle but you need the sure information on the card. Too many hoops.

There was substantial noise mid summer and it was expected in the budget. The only way they will encourage early slaughter is a slaughter premium.

Slava Ukrainii

”There was substantial noise mid summer and it was expected in the budget. The only way they will encourage early slaughter is a slaughter premium”

Industry are lobbying a long time, along with the IFA. But given that we are now mid November, I’d would of thought it’d have to cemented at this stage if they’re going to hoodwink it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

How many days feeding should 15 450 kg bullocks get from a bale of Silage ?They are also getting 50 kgs of High Barley Cattle Ration.

on prime cattle depending on carcass conformation roughly 20% it would have to be aged. Reflecting in something well over 50% of the retail value of the animal. Traditional butchers still hang the carcass for a fortnight, Yes you are correct regarding how soon they are boned out nowadays.

Wrapping the prime cuts in plastic and refrigerating allow some “aging” and no water loss. Which helps on the retail weighing scales.

It's the potential of a market changer having a slaughter premium for reduced age of slaughter. Delaying the announcement of this is vital as it would have knock on effects for the trade should word get out.

If you look at the DAFM policy play book it shad been carrot and then stick to box in the non complying. Take the example of LESS grant aid for all 5 years ago. No grant aid for those above 170KgN/ha and this has been slowly wound down to 130KgN/ha. The stragglers are squeezed into submission. The only way earlier slaughter will be achieved is by incentive.

If it does happen the cattle trade as we know it is in for a serious shake up. The weanling to store man is going to be beat out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

2 days? 2.5 days?

Depends on silage quality and how well-packed the bales were. There's various formulas to work it out but none will tell you as accurately as giving them a bale and just observing yourself.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement