Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Killed my first load this week. Weights were fine but killing off grass in May they never kill more than they look like later in the year.

Went to mart last week with 20. Reckoned they’d do better than going to factory as they didn’t seemed fit with only May here yet, grass only feed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

load of fr bullocks booked for next week 4.10 base with 3.85 cut off..think its as good as going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

load of fr bullocks booked for next week 4.10 base with 3.85 cut off..think its as good as going?

There’s flat rates for o grade type underage of I what can only assume 4.10(based on what I know was going in relation base price a few weeks ago) going with independent places. Takes the trapdoors out of it.. p grades 4+ 5 fat score namely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Jjameson wrote: »
    There’s flat rates for o grade type underage of I what can only assume 4.10(based on what I know was going in relation base price a few weeks ago) going with independent places. Takes the trapdoors out of it.. p grades 4+ 5 fat score namely.

What would be the percentage kill out for 675kg fresian bullocks. Just read article that said 55%. Thought that would be a bit high

MIKEKC wrote: »
    What would be the percentage kill out for 675kg fresian bullocks. Just read article that said 55%. Thought that would be a bit high

From 46% for extreme types to 52% for really good proper square lads. Really good Frisian bulls could do 55% but unlikely for bullocks if really friesians.

I work on 50% for middle of road type well finished.

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    From 46% for extreme types to 52% for really good proper square lads. Really good Frisian bulls could do 55% but unlikely for bullocks if really friesians.

I work on 50% for middle of road type well finished.

That's what I go by maybe they meant bulls but article didn't say that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That's what I go by maybe they meant bulls but article didn't say that

I have seldom seen Friesian bulls kill more than 51/52%. They keep growing so it virtually impossible to get them into a high fat score. Maybe 10+ year ago when you could carry them to 30 months but sub 24 nearly impossible. As well with present ration prices as fast as they come into 2+/3- you should be offloading

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Flat money on the Friesans is the only way to go at the moment. Safety as you are dealing with o's and p's. The variability of getting QA and the pinch of the grid with p's, hit the price per kg hard at this end of the scale. Shouldn't be hard to get 4.10 to 4.15 flat

Flat money on the Friesans is the only way to go at the moment. Safety as you are dealing with o's and p's. The variability of getting QA and the pinch of the grid with p's, hit the price per kg hard at this end of the scale. Shouldn't be hard to get 4.10 to 4.15 flat

Friesians grading P+ are only making cow prices, it much the same with O- grading Fr that are over 30 months. As well there is the other traps the 4= grade which deducts an extra 6 cent all the way down from O= grading cattle. Add in that 2+ fat grading cattle get the base in R grading cattle but get hit with a 6 cent penalty on O grading cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Would you know base price for fr bulls? I have a teaser bull approx 650kg that will be going soon.

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Would you know base price for fr bulls? I have a teaser bull approx 650kg that will be going soon.

Teaser's can often struggle with FS. As well if they are over 24 months they have limited markets.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Teaser's can often struggle with FS. As well if they are over 24 months they have limited markets.

I'd vote for the mart over factory in those cases, especially if it's only a one off. Anything fleshy in the cull ring is in demand atm for immediate slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The on line aspect seems to have put a floor under the price of beef animals in the Mart. If a factory needs a load of beef they can pick it up handy in the Mart, flesh cows and AAx Hex cattle I would guess are making a shade above what they would kill into at the factory this last few weeks. It's good to see it and long may it last. I know a northern factory is buying a lot of cattle in the local mart for direct slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I rang agent to book heifers in for Monday morning. He tells me heifers are dropping 5 cent to €4.10. Bullocks unchanged so still at €4.10 as well. Anyone else hearing this elsewhere around the country? Midlands here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Do Cahir or the Waterford plants pay flat rate?

Good loser wrote: »
    Do Cahir or the Waterford plants pay flat rate?

I haven’t got a flat rate in Abp Slaney or dawn for 20 years.
    Liffey meats, dunbia,Kildare, and I’ve heard kepak (never sold to them) if you’d a load and cattle scarce.
    The independent smaller places flat rates are the norm but beware you have to wait a fortnight or more sometimes for cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

A pull of a shilling on the cards?

MfMan wrote: »
    A pull of a shilling on the cards?

They will be at this tactic for the next month or two. It mainly to stop prices rising. At present they are trying to flush out any cows they can. As well they will be trying to encourage cattle off of grass. There is very little cattle in sheds by lads without contracts.

The tactic is to force out cattle. However remember cattle are thriving and any one going in out to if spec could lose multiples of 5c.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Going to start mealing cattle next week. Mixed bag. What’s the going rate for fleshy AAx and HRx bullocks about 600kg? Sound

Going to start mealing cattle next week. Mixed bag. What’s the going rate for fleshy AAx and HRx bullocks about 600kg? Sound

Factory or Mart. In the the Mart I saw 600 kg AA heifers make 1400 euro yesterday. There is reports of flat prices of 4.4-4.5 AA's going. HE would be 10-20c/ kg back off that.

Ballinrobe supposed to be paying great money for the lighter AA and HE hanging at around 300 kgs or below it, I am not sure if they are near you

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Factory or Mart. In the the Mart I saw 600 kg AA heifers make 1400 euro yesterday. There is reports of flat prices of 4.4-4.5 AA's going. HE would be 10-20c/ kg back off that.

Ballinrobe supposed to be paying great money for the lighter AA and HE hanging at around 300 kgs or below it, I am not sure if they are near you

Wonder would it pay to try and get fresians out under 30 months. Average quality around 600kg.Normally let them run on to 33-34 months no meal.With so few qualifying for bonus , would there be much difference at the end of the day. Feeding in field wouldn't be very safe at my age.

Wonder would it pay to try and get fresians out under 30 months. Average quality around 600kg.Normally let them run on to 33-34 months no meal.With so few qualifying for bonus , would there be much difference at the end of the day. Feeding in field wouldn't be very safe at my age.

I’ve some light Fr that I’m going to feed. They’re all 26 months + I’d say they’re over 500kgs. 2 months of good feeding should get them fit.

I’ve some light Fr that I’m going to feed. They’re all 26 months + I’d say they’re over 500kgs. 2 months of good feeding should get them fit.
    Probably would but would the cost justify it is what I'm trying to figure out.You would probably want a magic wand to answer that. Price may drop before mine get to the usual 33-34 months.Hoping that the cheap weight gain off grass would make up for loss of the few bonuses. Won't be buying anything until autumn so will have plenty grass

Probably would but would the cost justify it is what I'm trying to figure out.You would probably want a magic wand to answer that. Price may drop before mine get to the usual 33-34 months.Hoping that the cheap weight gain off grass would make up for loss of the few bonuses. Won't be buying anything until autumn so will have plenty grass

As Jesus said “man cannot fatten cattle on grass alone”. Certainly applies to me. That last 2 months is the difference between good land and great land.

I do it. I have a bunch of 25 cattle pulled out since early May. I do it every year. Two are over 36 months ready are all under 30 months. About 6 AA and HE in them rest are Fr.

Will feed them 3kgs of maize barley hulls for 6+weeks. First of them are Nicky fleshing up now. It managing to pick the good ones out that will grade 0= and O-. Sell anything that will hit I-sib 30 months.

For 50 days feeding at 3kgs/day it will cost 40 euro. If the animal makes O=the 20c/kg bonus on a 330kg carcase is 66 euro. The 12c on an O- same carcasses weight is 40 euro

You are gambling as well that the finished price will be higher than 2-3 months later. By feeding for 7-8 weeks plus you can get a lot of P type cattle up to O- and O- type cattle up to O=. It's amazing the way they flesh up on good grass and 3 kgs of the MBH mix

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Any Quotes lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

A man I know is getting 4.50 flat for hex cattle under age,quality assured, they are a good type of Hereford,he said the agent is anxious for cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

morphy87 wrote: »
    A man I know is getting 4.50 flat for hex cattle under age,quality assured, they are a good type of Hereford,he said the agent is anxious for cattle
    I’ve heard of that being offered in a factory in the midlands as well and another midlands factory offering €4.60 flat rate for Angus. Both were third hand information and not directly from an agent but I’m fairly sure it’s accurate.

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’ve heard of that being offered in a factory in the midlands as well and another midlands factory offering €4.60 flat rate for Angus. Both were third hand information and not directly from an agent but I’m fairly sure it’s accurate.

I’d say your right, usually the angus bonus is a little more, how long more will it last? Back this way a lot of cattle went early this year because of the beam scheme, these would usually go from mid July to mid August but they are all gone now, I also know another man that has a lot of cattle and he had an agent ring him this week looking for more but he has them all gone, next January before he will have more

• Advertisement

Usually sell my cattle the end of August early September, the agent I deal with rang me this evening looking for cattle,have I anything at all,4.20 on the grid but I’d say if selling would squeeze more, he doesn’t know how long it will last but he said cattle are very scarce, a lot of people have them sold all ready that would normally going in the next few weeks

Advertisement