Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

morphy87 wrote: »
    Usually sell my cattle the end of August early September, the agent I deal with rang me this evening looking for cattle,have I anything at all,4.20 on the grid but I’d say if selling would squeeze more, he doesn’t know how long it will last but he said cattle are very scarce, a lot of people have them sold all ready that would normally going in the next few weeks

Funny old year, I've never as many cattle sold as early as I have this year. Would really be Aug and Sept id be aiming for. There only killing ok but I've a fine cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Funny old year, I've never as many cattle sold as early as I have this year. Would really be Aug and Sept id be aiming for. There only killing ok but I've a fine cheque.

Weight wise are you back much considering your selling two months earlier? This shortage could last for a while so

Weight wise are you back much considering your selling two months earlier? This shortage could last for a while so

About 30kg the first week a month ago. I find unless they've alot of flesh they'd let you down in a flash. 2 in particular this week that had plenty the rib but not the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

Probably better off marting heavy cattle.. .seen a 850kg chx go unsold in skibb today for 2020... Never seen bullock breach 2k in skibb previously

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

grange mac wrote: »
    Probably better off marting heavy cattle.. .seen a 850kg chx go unsold in skibb today for 2020... Never seen bullock breach 2k in skibb previously

I wonder did the seller run out of road when he was still unsold at that price? Greed can set in with a good trade and it's simple enough you can overshoot the runway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was he under or over 30 months

Slava Ukrainii

I wonder did the seller run out of road when he was still unsold at that price? Greed can set in with a good trade and it's simple enough you can overshoot the runway.

He might be a better judge of cattle than we think. At 850 kgs and it being mart weight he should killout 55/56%. He be 475DW at 56%. He should grade U-/U=. By the look of it next week's base will be 4.25/kg

U30 months that bullock should make 4.57/4.63per kg he would make 2150-2220
    Over 30 months he should make a price of 4.45-4.5/kg he make 2100euro

He may know his own cattle, there grading and killout

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

Was he under or over 30 months

Just Under... 2 big golden Charolais. .. Super cattle... Were early so no sale initially at 1950...came through again at end bullocks to 2020...was shocked when heard after they were being taken home.. ... Must have a guaranteed price from someone... Or else pure stupidity

Just Under... 2 big golden Charolais. .. Super cattle... Were early so no sale initially at 1950...came through again at end bullocks to 2020...was shocked when heard after they were being taken home.. ... Must have a guaranteed price from someone... Or else pure stupidity

I say he was right they are probably U grade cattle

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

any quotes for p/o cows for next week

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    any quotes for p/o cows for next week

Du see the white head heifers selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I wonder did the seller run out of road when he was still unsold at that price? Greed can set in with a good trade and it's simple enough you can overshoot the runway.[/QUOTE
    The beef farmer is allowed to be greedy once every fifty years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He was probably right to bring him home. Don’t know where lads be going with cattle like that to the mart anyway. Unless he wasn’t quality assured maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I generally find that good R / U grade beef cattle fit to kill make around €50 less in the Mart than they would in the factory where as O /P grades could make over €100 less. The lads around the ring buying beef are no fools they know the value of an animal like to the nearest €1. But at the minute whatever is happening the AA cattle are make about €100 more than they would in the factory..

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I generally find that good R / U grade beef cattle fit to kill make around €50 less in the Mart than they would in the factory where as O /P grades could make over €100 less. The lads around the ring buying beef are no fools they know the value of an animal like to the nearest €1. But at the minute whatever is happening the AA cattle are make about €100 more than they would in the factory..

AA cattle can be making a bit more than 100euro more than mart price. Last Thursday two bunches of AA bullocks about 30 in total first bunch 556kgs made 1500, second bunch 545 made 1440 I think. They were O=/+ cattle and not overly finished FS 3= at best.

IMO they made 5.15/kg

They made 200/head more than factory price

Slava Ukrainii

He might be a better judge of cattle than we think. At 850 kgs and it being mart weight he should killout 55/56%. He be 475DW at 56%. He should grade U-/U=. By the look of it next week's base will be 4.25/kg

U30 months that bullock should make 4.57/4.63per kg he would make 2150-2220
    Over 30 months he should make a price of 4.45-4.5/kg he make 2100euro

He may know his own cattle, there grading and killout

How much further can you see cattle rising to? I’d say it will be 4.25 this week

How long will it last and when will the pull start this year?

All I know back our way factory cattle are very scarce

How much further can you see cattle rising to? I’d say it will be 4.25 this week

How long will it last and when will the pull start this year?

All I know back our way factory cattle are very scarce

It may not be as hot as this in 4-6 weeks time. I have not got a clue how long this will last but there is another 4-6 weeks in it anyway. Whe it may not be as hot in September cattle will have gained weight.

I be moving as cattle are fit

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I say he was right they are probably U grade cattle
    He was definitely right to bring them home. If they were U grades I could see them making €2,200 - €2,300 in the factory. There’s too many lads that don’t understand how cattle kill out and that’s down to either never sending any to the factory or not weighing stock before they send them to the factory.

A good quality U grade animal, especially one that size, will comfortably kill out 58%+ of its mart weight and depending on a few factors such as age, length of time standing in the mart, meal fed, breeding etc. it wouldn’t be unusual for a U grade heavy animal to kill out at 60-62% plus.

The best I ever had in killout was 2 U grade 28 month old heifers and they killed out at 62%.

The men around the ring buying the factory fit stock know by looking at them how they will kill out and what they are worth and they won’t give any more than that and they generally give less as they’ve to make a twist on them too.

I can assure you on U grade factory fit stock they work out their figures at 58-60% killout and anything above that is a bonus then. Too many lads are calculating their killout at percentages in the low 50’s and think they’re cleaning up at the mart when really they’re losing €50 - €100 a head. Low 50’s is right for friesian or dairy bred stock but continentals are far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    You’re bang on with them figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

1373 wrote: »
    I wonder did the seller run out of road when he was still unsold at that price? Greed can set in with a good trade and it's simple enough you can overshoot the runway.[/QUOTE
    The beef farmer is allowed to be greedy once every fifty years

I didn't mean it in a malicious way and I'm not an authority on factory stock. Going by the figures from those more in the know then he was probably spot on to bring them home. However you'll often see stock making what looks like a total rob and yet there not sold, in some cases it's because there wasn't any name to put down on the sheets for them. I saw speckled type ewe hoggets with twin broky lambs (mostly ram lambs) making €320 during the week and unsold. The same man got €310 the week before for better sheep with ewe lambs and was expecting similar but seemingly pushed the boat out a bit too far.

It may not be as hot as this in 4-6 weeks time. I have not got a clue how long this will last but there is another 4-6 weeks in it anyway. Whe it may not be as hot in September cattle will have gained weight.

I be moving as cattle are fit

When do you hope to start moving some?

You would imagine they should still be €4 come the end of August, just curious when the farmers journal say farmers with larger numbers get a bit extra, what would be considered a large number?

I don’t think anyone can predict how long this will last. Nobody would have thought two weeks ago that the price was going to strengthen even more.
    History tells us the price will drop as cattle come fit off grass but you’d never know this year.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone can predict how long this will last. Nobody would have thought two weeks ago that the price was going to strengthen even more.
    History tells us the price will drop as cattle come fit off grass but you’d never know this year.

So if you had cattle that would carry more weight and will be still underage come early September what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads let not get carried away ,I got a flat price for 3 over 36 months fr bullock last mid July .It was the 1 week all the year the sunrise plant in Cork was caught and I happened to be in the know just at that time .I would say get on the bus when it is going it will last probably a fortnight but I hope I am wrong

So if you had cattle that would carry more weight and will be still underage come early September what would you do?

I have around 60 continental bullocks round 650kg that’ll carry plenty more weight. They are not coming 30 months until mid September on. I didn’t start mealing them yet as they seem to be doing a great thrive. Will probably start them in mid July.
    If I had cattle that were heading for 4 in the fat I’d let them off, other than that I’d hold them. All depends on your grass situation and if you have to replace them straight away. I wouldn’t like to be going out to buy stores now.

When do you hope to start moving some?

You would imagine they should still be €4 come the end of August, just curious when the farmers journal say farmers with larger numbers get a bit extra, what would be considered a large number?

I hoping to move a bunch next week. There is a couple of three year old bullocks and a few underage FR's. Have not priced around yet so we will see.

I be moving mine as they are fairly fit as I find Friesians struggle to put on weight from September on. I do not see it as hot as this in September or even August either. As I said there is probably 6 weeks in it.

Cattle will remain scarce for another two weeks. Even then I do not expect a flood of cattle. I put up about those AA bullocks in Listowel. They should not be moving untill late August by right( the oldest had 60 day before overage the youngest 100+) but if I owned them I do the same. It was a flaking price for them.

If you are getting a good price keep anything you can moving

Slava Ukrainii

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I have around 60 continental bullocks round 650kg that’ll carry plenty more weight. They are not coming 30 months until mid September on. I didn’t start mealing them yet as they seem to be doing a great thrive. Will probably start them in mid July.
    If I had cattle that were heading for 4 in the fat I’d let them off, other than that I’d hold them. All depends on your grass situation and if you have to replace them straight away. I wouldn’t like to be going out to buy stores now.

I have loads of grass and fooder, making extra fooder to sell is a non runner back this way as no sale for it, everybody has too much, and also too much grass and people are down on cattle numbers

Yeah I have to buy back stores but I won’t be doing that for a while yet by the looks of it

I hoping to move a bunch next week. There is a couple of three year old bullocks and a few underage FR's. Have not priced around yet so we will see.

I be moving mine as they are fairly fit as I find Friesians struggle to put on weight from September on. I do not see it as hot as this in September or even August either. As I said there is probably 6 weeks in it.

Cattle will remain scarce for another two weeks. Even then I do not expect a flood of cattle. I put up about those AA bullocks in Listowel. They should not be moving untill late August by right( the oldest had 60 day before overage the youngest 100+) but if I owned them I do the same. It was a flaking price for them.

If you are getting a good price keep anything you can moving

Are your cattle coming fit earlier this year?

• Advertisement

Are your cattle coming fit earlier this year?

No they would not be as fit as this time last year. But I nearly always move from end of June on. I move in groups of 4-8. If I do not move some I cannot add others into the finishing bunch. As well the most forward cattle in a bunch are eating the most ration.

I have 25 in the bunch being fed 3 kg/ head. The best 6-8 are probably averaging 4 kgs or maybe a tad with it, that means the lighter ones are back at or below 2 kgs.

Take 6 out and the next 6-8 start to come faster.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement