Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aly Daly

I would always split there feed once they are getting anything over 5kg,this is a great forum with so many differing opinions however it is important to remember that when weight stops the money stops & friesans do need pushing especially into the autumn, having said that a great result over a 5 year period in cattle would be to break even so they really are a bit of a hobby,if you want to make something & have good ground set the land out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Could feed 6kg no bother to big continentals once a day no bother. 5 or 6 might be a push if only 500kg. Have a bin in the field, it cuts down the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I feed them all the time at that weight. 8-10 weeks @3kgs/head turns 90% into FS3,=. They usually grade 25-30%O=, 45% O- and 23-30% P's. Have a spattering of O+'s and only the very odd P=.

I get them away under 30 months mostly. This year 8-10 weeks ration @3kgs/ head will cost 50-57 euro. Friesians slaughtered out beyond mid September need to go 5+kgs of ration and silage to hold flesh on them unless you have a very low stocking rate and they still need the ration to hit DW's of 370+.

Assuming 8 weeks feeding at an averge of 5kgs the cost jumps to aboce 80 euro. Mi d you this could be the year to do it as cattle prices might not collapse.

Last year a Friesian hung at 330 DW@O-3= at a base if 5 had achieved a price of 4.88/kg netted 1600 euro

A Friesian hung in Oct/Nov at a base price of 4.5 and O-4 achieved a price of 4.26 @a DW of 380netted 1608 euro. Now if he was O=4- he got a price 4.4/kg and made 1660 euro.

Tell me which one was the most profitable. The one hung early also has the advantage of being replaced early often at a much cheaper price. I hung the first of mine at 5.25 base last year I think in May.

I have 5 cattle that could be killed at present they are on ration 6 weeks this weekend. But I intend to hold for a few week. I have 30 feeding at present.

Slava Ukrainii

JUst took a few photos when feeding.

Good friesian fed 6 weeks yesterday O=3= could climb a grade in 3 weeks probably hang 320kgs at present. Would hang him if price under pressure

Saler type bullock, O+3- at present 6 weeks bombing along

BB heifer only on ration a fortnight, Feb born

FR heifer Feb born on ration a fortnight

FFr Bullock companion of the first lad not as square bigger frame 6 weeks will be fit in a month probably FS3-

Big Friesian bullock 3yo, not a year for them Did not thrive on turn put in March andnot enough grass until mid May. FS 3 would hang if price under pressure

Heifer with bandy legs out all winter could hang will probably grade R+3+ in a month

LL heifer dairy cross fed 6 weeks needs another 3-4

Frx bullock.cost 560 last year needs 3-4 weeks fed 6 so far

Two small heifers the red is slow to grow and finish, the black is down as an AA. Both fed 6 week. The red needs a month

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The Frx bullock is a butter box special and what weight and age and grade roughly at killing do you think he will be out of curiosity.

That lad is a good one. He be 29 ish months at finish. Another 4-5 weeks will see him ready. He will probably grade P+/O-@330 kgs. He was 370 kgs when he was bought I cannot remember if he was a bull or bullock. He has kept growing hoped he be a bit handier.

I buy a lot of Friesians for 500-650 euro. Bought 5 during the week. FRX heifer decent type one 295 for 440 euro. 4 295kg bullocks good middle of the road types 540 euro

This Is the mix

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭50HX

Is that a Howard's mix Bass??

No its a Bass mix, nothing magic2% molasses, mineral&vits pack should be 2% and the rest is barley/maize/hulls.

No magic mushrooms or white powder( bull mix) it's a straight forward high energy mix Millers want you to buy the mushrooms

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

very interesting bass. What is the plan with the bb heifer? I have two fairly similar, can’t go to to the mart though as they have horns.
    I’d it normal for the bb to have smaller frames

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I think it depends on the mart but you can bring them to some marts if they’ve horns. They just need to be penned separately

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Everything goes to the factory here. BB can be slow enough to finish. I will feed her and hopefully she be ready by August. The big bullocks are probably gobbling 4+kgs, some of those heifers are probably only getting 2kgs or even less.

We will buy anything we see a margin on and chance animals we know little about. The BB came in at 700 euro @350 along with a companion not quite as good. The LM heifers cost 720 at 355kgs. I would buy the LM definable again at that money not sure about the BB's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The BBs take time to put fat down. Way quicker with the LM. You should be able pick up reasonably middle of road Suckler bred LMs that wouldnt have been done the best

I’ll double check with the couple of Marts around and see, cheers

Sound.my two are pushing into 4kg a head now so I’ve ear marked for a month to 6 weeks time. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

With fat cows to sell, would ye go mart or factory at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mr..

Mart and let the agents fight over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grass10

Only go to a mart that will drive on the price of fat cows and not let the buyers buy at their price they are the only marts that you will beat the factory price

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any quotes for next week? Bullocks…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Neighbour sold a 10 year old AAx dairy cow in Carnaross Thursday 610 kgs €1,400. Though it a good price as she was a small frame animal with little flesh and just a middle or the road O grade.

• Advertisement

Those small AAx course would surprise you from two point of view. First off at that price e I suspect she was hung. At 290 kgs DW she made 4.8/ kg. I often wonder do so.ee AA ciwsgo into the generic AA burger trade for chip shops or pub grub

On the other hand if a lad put her to grass is 100kgs lw by the end of September possible and 360DW K/O @ 4.8/ kg

I am tending towards the first explanation. Another factor is what way tge mart she sold in weight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well you don't mention the logical reason is that farmers are better off selling small numbers in the mart where factory agents are present with demand for beef which you will have for the next few weeks at least

Just wondering where is the profit for the buyer at the ring paying 1400 plus mart fees,transport, factory fees, for an animal that might make 1392 and that's based on 4.80 payment for a 10 yo o grade lacking in flesh cow and you must know where price's are going when you are valuing the same cow fat in September at 4.80 payment I very much hope you are right with your price prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭locha

had an agent on the phone offering me a base of 5.15 for bullocks to be killed on Tuesday. More to be got I reckon over the next 2/3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Looks like 5.20 to be got for bullocks this coming week. Midlands

Half load ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My qa is out is the mart my only real option .I have not the time to prepare for inspection at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭locha

reckon they will be quoting 5.25/30 end of next week. They are under pressure now

Lads need to remember that cattle being sold now were kept for approx 6 month winter have had very poor weather since they went to grass have not thrived as well as they should have and 5.15 was being paid since January so current price is not great all things considered so hold on for a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭148multi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Is there any HEX bonus or was it only early summer?

Did they have to be booked in in February?

Advertisement