Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Good loser wrote: »
    You're getting more and more fantastical Bass in your speculations (hallucinations?).
    Life is a lot simpler than you admit.

I sent in a cow/heifer last year under age expecting at least €1,000.
    She came home an hour later as cows were not being killed that day.
    A week later, still under 30 months, she graded O5 and I got €650 for her.
    Lesson learned.

There are tricks and turns in every business.
    Don't magnify them beyond what's justified.
    Conspiracy theories are for the weak-minded.

Life is simple for the simple minded who are content in their narrative.
    Bass wouldn’t of sold a cow heifer to grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I thought the Dept came out a couple of years ago and said the the factories didn't have access to cmms figures.
    If the factories were loosing money at the moment they would revert to type and reduce the kill days. They do what they want when it suits them - they are the tail that wags the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You're getting more and more fantastical Bass in your speculations (hallucinations?).
    Life is a lot simpler than you admit.

I sent in a cow/heifer

She came home an hour later as cows were not being killed that day.

A week later she graded O5 and I got €650 for her.
    Lesson learned.

There are tricks and turns in every business.
    Don't magnify them beyond what's justified.
    Conspiracy theories are for the weak-minded.

Was it a Cow or a heifer?

There is a difference.

You didn't even check if they would kill her, Christ above, so she came back. Did you even check that they were open?

You should ask an agent to check their fat score or an experienced neighbour.

You are riding yourself around the field and your Cow/heifers will rob you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what is a cow/heifer .I am presuming a heifer that has had a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

cute geoge wrote: »
    what is a cow/heifer .I am presuming a heifer that has had a calf

Sort of a well bucked virgin.

All in jest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Jjameson wrote: »
    Life is simple for the simple minded who are content in their narrative.
    Bass wouldn’t of sold a cow heifer to grade!

I don't know everything. Do you?

Danzy wrote: »
    Was it a Cow or a heifer?

There is a difference.

You didn't even check if they would kill her, Christ above, so she came back. Did you even check that they were open?

You should ask an agent to check their fat score or an experienced neighbour.

You are riding yourself around the field and your Cow/heifers will rob you.

Could be called a once-calved heifer.

If you were old enough there were Govt schemes for such in the 70's.

Didn't think they'ed even know she had a calf, or that she was at risk of being an O5. She was a Hereford - I bet she didn't go into a skip!

Should have sent her to mart.

No Pat McDonagh said he saw no discount when prices fell in 2019. Now either he was very bad at bargaining, a man that took on McDonald's and won or there was an increase in margin somewhere.

Natural competition should prevail. It prevails in every mart accross the country but it fails bin beef.

Every restaurant and hotel we asked in Wexford two years ago said they seen no reduction in price, and never do, in fact fillet sirloin and strip loin went up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If there was a calf registered to her she was a cow.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Didn't think they'ed even know she had a calf, or that she was at risk of being an O5. She was a Hereford - I bet she didn't go into a skip!

Should have sent her to

Grading and fat scores come with seeing good numbers of finished cattle. These traditional breeds can go fat quick.

Regarding being classes as a cow. Once as calf is registered to a female she will be classed as a cow.

Take it as a lesson learned, move on and look to improve. That's what we are all at every day inside our own farmgates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Should have sent her to

That’s what the factory has the cmms for to verify cows and heifers, and to not know a animal was fat score 5 live says a lot. She would have suited very few markets at a 5 and would have had serious trimming on the carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Should have sent her to

There was a cow/heifers scheme by I think Kepak a few years ago. It was for Suckler cattle only and I think it had to be Continental breed's only. Heifer had to be under 36 months and come direct from the herd where she calved to slaughter. It was pulled fairly fast fir some reason must have been interfering with profitability.

If a heifer has a calf registered she is treated as a cow. You will see the odd heifer that probably has slipped a calf going through the cow ring and it's announced that she has no calf registered. I picked up one or two and they have been treated as heifers by the factory.

Last autumn there was a good few young cows slaughtered in NI as heifers as they had no access to the CMS.

Fatscore can be a challenge at certain times of year. They usually modify the fatscore around now from winter to summer scoring. Cattle off grass have more yellow fat than cattle out of sheds. The grading machine grades these cattle fatter than shed cattle. If they change the machines too early the shed boys end up with a load of underfat stock it mainly effects U16 month bulls.

It's the opposite in the early winter where you can struggle with cattle out if sheds being under fat, they wait to change the scoring untill the majority of grass cattle are gone.

Now ideally what they should do is run along the line and change the FS on any cattle being unfairly penalised but no fear of that.

I had a Friesian bullocks grade P+4- only last week at 295kgs DW. I could not see that FC on him. I moved him as he would be over 30 months this week. I taught he might grade O-. If he had it was another 53 euro on him. If he was 4= FS he have lost me another 18 euro. But there was no way he was that FS I could see the ribs, his cod was fairly full alright.

In a way I should not have put him.in the finishing bunch. I should have only grassed him until September and hung him off grass. However it's borderline picking out which cattle to finish and which not to. I could never see him making an O= at 32/33 months so I chanced him to grade O- at sub 30 months

Slava Ukrainii

That’s what the factory has the cmms for to verify cows and heifers, and to not know a animal was fat score 5 live says a lot. She would have suited very few markets at a 5 and would have had serious trimming on the carcass.

Have a look at Kavanagh meats instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Have a look at Kavanagh meats instagram.

Are you on about the meat photos on there website, very lean aren't they no sign of fat on them

https://kavanaghmeatsireland.com/

Slava Ukrainii

Are you on about the meat photos on there website, very lean aren't they no sign of fat on them

https://instagram.com/kavanagh_meats?utm_medium=copy_link

Fat British breed beef is the Cream of Irish beef.
    The nonsense from the mid 80,s demonising animal fat is passing.
    Look at Higgins butchers Facebook. Importing fat beef.
    Look at ogorman meats castledermott.
    Any one used to dealing with ballon meats who loved the 5 fatscore to cheapen heifers years ago,
    A passive aggressive tone now meets you on the phone”if they aren’t fat I’ll give you a bad price for them”

Scroll through the pictures on the “about” page

Scroll through the pictures on the “about” page

The O+4- label:pac:?

blue5000 wrote: »
    The O+4- label:pac:?

It’s graded manually,that animal is a 5 on a Larry’s monkey operated machine. Look at the beef hanging and the cuts.

No doubt there'll be something else wrong in 2 years time. Poor tenderness or blind eating tenderness/taste test. Or God forbid it got GM in the calf crunch......

Trying to buy a bull at the moment and the more stats I have from icbf the harder it is to make a decision. Need something that will fatten easily at grass as I'm gone down the big O road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Should have sent her to

If you have a young cow, you are nearly always far better showing it in the mart, especially if there is a good Northern trade. I hear that the system in the UK doesn't pick up if a calf is registered to a cows, so if the animal doesn't look like a cow she will get a way as a heifer. Additionally I hear butchers like these type of animals as they meat is more tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    No doubt there'll be something else wrong in 2 years time. Poor tenderness or blind eating tenderness/taste test. Or God forbid it got GM in the calf crunch......

Trying to buy a bull at the moment and the more stats I have from icbf the harder it is to make a decision. Need something that will fatten easily at grass as I'm gone down the big O road.
    I’m thinking the Myostatin is nearly better than figures
    Found the Q204 & F94L needed less feeding than those with no mutation

Was asking a lorry-man there recently whether it was any good trying to get a factory (LG) buy flat or reduce a 5 grade to something lower.
    He said they absolutely wouldn't budge if there was a 5 fat score.

There was a cow/heifers scheme by I think Kepak a few years ago. It was for Suckler cattle only and I think it had to be Continental breed's only. Heifer had to be under 36 months and come direct from the herd where she calved to slaughter. It was pulled fairly fast fir some reason must have been interfering with profitability.

If a heifer has a calf registered she is treated as a cow. You will see the odd heifer that probably has slipped a calf going through the cow ring and it's announced that she has no calf registered. I picked up one or two and they have been treated as heifers by the factory.

Last autumn there was a good few young cows slaughtered in NI as heifers as they had no access to the CMS.

Fatscore can be a challenge at certain times of year. They usually modify the fatscore around now from winter to summer scoring. Cattle off grass have more yellow fat than cattle out of sheds. The grading machine grades these cattle fatter than shed cattle. If they change the machines too early the shed boys end up with a load of underfat stock it mainly effects U16 month bulls.

It's the opposite in the early winter where you can struggle with cattle out if sheds being under fat, they wait to change the scoring untill the majority of grass cattle are gone.

Now ideally what they should do is run along the line and change the FS on any cattle being unfairly penalised but no fear of that.

I had a Friesian bullocks grade P+4- only last week at 295kgs DW. I could not see that FC on him. I moved him as he would be over 30 months this week. I taught he might grade O-. If he had it was another 53 euro on him. If he was 4= FS he have lost me another 18 euro. But there was no way he was that FS I could see the ribs, his cod was fairly full alright.

In a way I should not have put him.in the finishing bunch. I should have only grassed him until September and hung him off grass. However it's borderline picking out which cattle to finish and which not to. I could never see him making an O= at 32/33 months so I chanced him to grade O- at sub 30 months

I always keep 5 to 9 P grade Frs to late Oct/early Nov on the best of the grass, no meals. They will put on weight all the time and if prices stay flat could gross €100 plus over late August. Very hard to change the grading; 3 of 9 might move to O from P at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Talking to an agent last night,cattle very scarce at the moment and a strong demand for them,bullocks 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

What are quotes for bullocks and heifers this week

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

Had an agent from a factory I have not dealt with in yrs call me last night… if you have a load or a double sell hard..

morphy87 wrote: »
    Talking to an agent last night,cattle very scarce at the moment and a strong demand for them,bullocks 4.30

Agent for what factory?

Agent for what factory?

He deals with a few different places, south east

locha wrote: »
    Had an agent from a factory I have not dealt with in yrs call me last night… if you have a load or a double sell hard..

What could you get off him? Was he doing anything on haulage or flat deals?

• Advertisement

morphy87 wrote: »
    He deals with a few different places, south east

So which south factory would you recommend I ring? Because 4.20 is still buying anything that I can say I know without hearsay this week.
    Or pm the agents number.

Advertisement