Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Its no harm. A chap here had ten fat blks to kill. He got no satisfaction from the factory at all and he was onto one of the main agents. He wanted a flat ish price in case he'd anything over fat. They went to gortatlea last Fri instead, the agent got some hop when he found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Great to get a good turn on them. Why not bring them all to the mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes Bass that is why I am moving on any near fit cattle, I can get them to around 630 -700 kgs at this time of year without any meal, but from now on the power would be gone out of the grass to put weight on cattle. Little AAx bullock I had yesterday weighed 620 kgs and made €1580 (Should grade an R-) and another AAx lad weighed 695 and made €1,760 - He had good cover and might just grade an R-.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As I said the usual gra for an attempt o pull prices is not there at present. Any lad with mid February 2019 cattle would be under pressure to move from now on. I have Friesians but they are short of flesh (2+FS but will only grade P+/O- at best) so there is no point in moving them. Some amount of factory fit cattle going through Gortnalea at present. Agents playing hard ball with local farmers with lower base quotes are seeing a good few of these going to the mart.

Slava Ukrainii

Ah P / O- grade cattle will not make their value in the Mart any day. Even noticed yesterday very few heavy FR cattle in the mart yesterday. I do try and get the best I can, so I picking and mixing between the mart and the factory, trying to guess where I feel I will get on better. Been close to the mart in Carnaross is handy for me, I can tip in before hand to try and get a value for my stock by seeing what different types are making. But the problem with tipping in is I see things that I "think" are value so therefore I would have a cattle that are P grade and some that could potentially be U grade with anything in between..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I watched carnaross for a while yesterday and thought continental cattle round 700kg might have been better going to the factory.

Have a good share of them coming fit from next month on so it’s a decision I will have to make myself. Never went with fat cattle to the mart before.

Gortatlea bate all fri for fr blks. 30 months around 500kg all made 2 euro per kg. These wer too big for next year and too poor for this year unless your ration junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Feeding silage here also to one group of cattle. Definitely power gone from grass in the last 3 weeks.

Was chatting to a neighbour yesterday and he said he got 4.40 flat for u grade bullocks one was 40 months. He got that price last week I didn’t ask where it was.

Factory buyers are no fools so they aren't going to give much more than they are worth in the marts. What I seen with my own yesterday was they were getting up near their finish / factory price quick enough but then an extra €20 - €30 would come along slowly. That would never have came with the lads around d ring staring one another out of it two years ago. Then you have 5 - 10 minutes after they are sold to make up your mind which is good too. Anyone selling at the minute I would say sould look at both & then pick their cattle to suit each. That or get a factory agent who is willing to guarantee a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

if the heavy rain that’s promised comes, it’ll tell a bit about whether the factories try to pull them. Often a wet wet week at this time could result in a 10 cent drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Some lads get caught up in flat pricing. At 4.25 base a U- bullock is making 4.57 under 30 months, 4.45 from 30-36 months and 4.37 over 36 months.

I moved some over 36 month cattle myself and I just clarified that there was no deductions from the base for them compared to other years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

the deduction is not getting any QA payment on them? It’s a new way of presenting the same nonsense. Putting a load of cattle in on the grid is like watching a game of crash bandicoot with all the trap doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

They made an absolute mess of the new site.should have left it alone.

Back ten cent next week in our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Is that official or are they trying to attempt to pull them? 4.25 was easy got back our way this week,

Have they attempted to drop them back your way?

No. It never come to anything. But they are digging in with regard to rising!

and the lads talking of enormous flat rate quotes got for aa and Hereford cattle have calmed a good bit!

Two things outside the trade has happened. Alot of the big supermarkets had 'promotions' for beef in the last while discounted by up to 33% in some places. I'd say the factories took a hit in last few weeks in order to fulfill contracts.

The factories in turn have instructed their feed lot buyers to stay back from the sales ring.

• Advertisement

I will say the chances of a super value or dunnes “steak sale” having any bearing on farm gate price is negligible.

Calm yourself there kk man, the mart trade is very firm! Tune into lsl carnew mart and watch, bullocks start around lunchtime.

Why do you reckon there was still a chance of them rising? I think if they hold what there at it won’t be too bad

I honestly never thought the cartel would let them get to this so nothing would surprise me anymore, but no I wouldn’t be expecting a rising market early august. And yes if they hold hereabouts it is much needed win for us.

It's well known that if one supermarket gets an 'offer' the others go to the factories and like a child 'look at he got i want the same'. They follow each others prices like a hawk including across the pond. This ripple effect bares out to be bigger than just two domestic shops.

I'm not pro factory or anything I hope prices hold for the rest of the year they should in truth but ya know yourself once numbers appear. The funny thing is all the meat gets eaten!

The journal did an analysis on Foyle meats latest figures and the profit margins were 2.7% which they calculate 40e approx per head. Interesting insight.

That insight took nett pre tax profit and divided it by throughput. With no director, shareholder, corporate expenses, staff pay figures and who is getting paid on the books exactly for doing what available. it is an embarrassment to be so naive,stupid or plain lazy to present such tripe. It was an insight to the inadequacy of the ifj.

The processors are caught in a conundrum they would love to pull prices. However the British beef price is 50c/ kg higher and strengthening due to a large deficit in beef. Pulling prices could see a flood of cattle going North or going to the UK abbatoir system. As well it might send the wrong signal to winter finishers who are hesitant about feeding cattle this year. As well at present cattle are flowing through the system, there is still 50k less cattle to kill before year end any interruption might deter lads feeding lighter cattle to kill off grass. Any concerted pull might also bring unfavorable attention from the EU competition authority.

I am not saying any of the above in particular might stop them but normally but as a combination they may be inclined to keep it steady as it goes until next year's glut happens.

Slava Ukrainii

They do it every year (usually at the sight of the first wet week). Why would this year be any different.

An exceptionally strong British beef price that is strengthening. There is over 50c/kg in the difference that is over 180 euro on a 350kg carcase. There is absolutely no sub 2 year old store bulls in the system this year the processors have squeezed them out of the system. Even the 16 months old continental bull has disappeared. If they pull prices now they will have to indicate that they are willing to pay for November/December beef. Too many lads burnt over the last two years winter feeding. Winter beef ration will cost 280-300/ton. They can only feed so many in there own feedlots. While they may pull by 5-10c/kg a sustained pull will knock too much confidence out of the system.

As well like I said it could draw unwanted attention to the cartel

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lot of people don't understand that low Net profit means you stripped out as much of it before net profit was arrived at.

Aiming for zero net profit is often the most efficient way to go.

• Advertisement

you can talk all day about the above. Factories don’t give a flying fook. If the wet weather continues, price will be pulled and farmers will panic and they’ll get cattle. I think best we can hope for is to hold them at €4 for steers.

Advertisement