Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The IFA rang me last week to see would I consider becoming a member again. Tried the "you will save on your phone bill & ESB", ( no me as they are work expenses) "you will save on your insurance with FBD" again they ain't competitive, so no benefit there. Then he started on about the insurance, again I have a personal injury insurance through work so no benefit there. So as small part time farmer there was nothing the IFA could offer me that would be of benefit to me. I would say that is a situation that is repeated on many farms. The big farmers wouldn't pay membership to them either as they can negotiate there own deals with insurance & service providers & the part lads like me are getting better benefits through work so it's time the IFA had a rethink about what they can actually deliver to farmers big & small if they wish to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It pushes an agenda that intensive farming is the only way to be profitable. Convergence was always going to happen. This idea that a single country could stop it was ludicrous and badly taught out.

This outstand idiot sorry editor was the lad that when interviewing potential IFA presidential candidates left them away with upward only convergence ( without ever asking about where the funding was coming from and it's implications for on an EU wide basis) and with giving them carte blanc about nitrates derogation and dairy expansion again with out any serious questions about its implications. No serious questions to candidates either about calf exports and we had a candidate going flying calves out if the county and again not questions from this editor.

We have them pushing an agenda for subsidizing suckler's without any analysis of the implications of extra cattle to be slaughtered within the system. Any time that tillage or large finishers suffer it straight away pushing for hand-outs.

It at present is trying it level best to push an agenda Kerry Co-op buy out the Kerry group milk business by using funds belonging to non dairy farmers. As well it is suggesting paying farmers to used sexed semen which will indirectly direct CAP money to AI companies to fund a flawed concept which has failed to achieve decent conception rates for the last 7+ year.

We have an ex editor writing a piece of waffle every week probably getting paid what many would consider decent wage.

All that happened with CAP was the money is going to different farmers. The environment agenda was always going to be promoted and money redirected to it. All that was wrong was too many were not reading the signs.

Big Phil was quite happy doing a trade deal to shaft all EU farmers

Slava Ukrainii

It might have been but Pat Smith threatened it at Connaught and west if Ireland meetings regard CAP pre the 2015 deal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ground maize has gone up €80/t since March/April to c.€305/t. Rolled barely (last years crop) has tipped over €200/t and rolled Oats is €190/t. We mainly use mineral boluses and they have gone up .80c/head.

Anyone recommend a dry cow mineral for the Winter. I will have a few in calf suckler cows/heifers that will be on silage/straw/hay and I want to add minerals to the mix in diet feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When I was fighting in the Vietnam war, I had a rolled up Farmer's Journal in my coat. It stopped a VC bullet.

So there is that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What difference does it make to the likes of you, your posts smacks of begrudgery on a level of beef plan against Goodman, IFJ is a succsessful business, People are doing their best and making a success of it. Does it make any difference if the likes of you don't think it's good enough

Nice to see your begrudgery extends to Matt Dempsey, another really successful business man and farmer.

You refer to your margins on cattle (which I doubt anyone believes) with no reference to proper fixed costs, Your figures must be from your childrens carpet farm.

Most farmers do their own business, I'd be surprised at a rep selling membership on that. As I said before IFAs problems are terminal now.

Like yourself, Farm profits are a small part of peoples income now, most have good jobs outside farming and farms themselves, around here anyway, are even working for bigger operators, leasing out, feeding heifers, calving and milking, There's three 500 dairy cow units around here bringing huge opprtunity for local farmer, why would they care about schemes, grants etc

We are back to begrudgery, mentioning beef plan and it immaterial to me whether people believe my profit margin as they what they are

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Good grass and in and around 1.2 LW gain a day. It’s only now I realise the benefits of weighing stock myself as an aide to getting rid of cattle at the right time. Some of the daily weight gain would be exceptional without meal good genetics I reckon on the stock bought in. And I’m lucky to have such good ground where I am. Beef to the heel as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

What a great ideology ! Farm representative bodies should be so proud .

Imagine a public sector union rep trying to sell that to his members - Your incomes have been decimated over the last thirty years but you needn’t spend as much time at the main job from now on . There is a local dairy farmer that wants a hand with his business . It’s a great opportunity for you !

• Advertisement

By refusing to support our union, farmers are choosing to let it die.

I'm just saying the way farming is going around here. A lot of land leased out around here and a lot of parttimers in partnership that I fear for when the older person stops working.I suppose thats progress!!!!

Interest in IFA is waning a long time and when you cross a county with a 50 seater coach going to a protest and only pick up a handful of support, those that are making an effort don't be long waning too.

Not my job nor never was, to sell membership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

€4.20 steers €4.25 heifers. From 2 factories around the midlands.

anyone getting any more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

we try to tell you why that is. You don’t want to hear. The fear of litagation after the beef protest of 2001,when membership and participation was flying, (and financial income was a fraction of now) and years without showing a beef cartel a bite rather than just barking along with becoming just self serving entity at management level and then a huge financial scandal by these same crooks is what has it where it’s at.

ungrateful lazy farmers who won’t load like sheep on coaches to protests against themselves for “real” farmers. (Ifa day of action😂)

beef plan taking a big dunk on your lawn every morning, taking your odd socks and doing all the terrible damage to ifa is your narrative!

How many times did I say on here and else where,''anyone can have my job'' I didn't want it but it served a purpose. I had a good few positions that I didn't even have to look for. There's fair apathy in an organisation that is that way. That's going on thirty years

Appparently I was expected to lobby against my own business, isn't that a just a bit sad. too lazy to do it themselves yet some on here expected me to do it to my own detriment.

I had nothing to do with organisation finances, it didn't make any difference to me if the whole place went broke, I was double crossed more than most, it was never investigated properly, move along , nothing to see here, I've every right now to put the boot in . I've made it plain that I don't want to be involved now, they know my feelings.

Ironically I won an FBD sponsored ten day trip to Eastern Europe for selling membership because an issue I was pushing encouraged new members to join. but I always refused to sell membership,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

What were you been quoted last week? I see on the independent they said they were dropping them five cents,

would more be got if you had a larger number to sell?

I wonder will this be the start of a few drops?

What vibes were they giving for next week? If they held the 4.20 it wouldn’t be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd say testing the waters now in next few weeks.. Finished Cattle are not that plentyful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I got €4.25 last week, I got my cheque off my agent yesterday & he was say €4.20 but they are getting it hard to get cattle at this so they have done deals at €4.25 for this week with some suppliers. I was looking at Carnaross today, I would say cattle a back a little from last week.

It will all depend on how farmers react. If lads panic and throw cattle at them then yes they will pull prices faster. However if kill numbers do not jump and lads start to hold cattle that have a bit of time on there side then prices should hold.ay or near where they are at present.

They may try to use regular suppliers to get over a 10-15 day hump but there are not loads of cattle out there

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Got 4.30 last week for heifers alot of rain here the last few days will panic a few lads

cattle are scarce all right,what would the numbers want to jump to to start a fast drop? I don’t think numbers will increase much my self

And that’ll depend on the weather. If this heavy rain continues, fields get mucky, farmers looking out at cattle in a huddle under the ditch, they’ll move a lot faster too unfortunately and plays into their hands.

Two agents were supposed to come look at cattle this week and none came. Hardly too much demand on that basis.

wouldn’t commit a bit on next week prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Spring barley harvest is underway, headaches enough without sorting and drawing cattle. No big numbers to come in north Wexford. And the vagabonds who take the name of our model county finest water course are still on 4.25 for Hereford’s anyway is all the definite information I have.

Never worry about rain in August. Generally its not cold or heavy. I be more worried about rain in late September/October. Cattle cannot huddle under the ditches if they are not there. Watching Killmallock today for a while and was at Gortnalea last Friday. Amazed at the amount of cattle that are around 30 months that are not finished. Saw 27 month old HE bullocks today that were 475 kgs. It's been a bad year for grass either too much or too little. There may be a lot of cattle hitting 30 months unfit to kill. You would have wanted to be feeding cattle 8 weeks ago to have them fit now.

Slava Ukrainii

So how do suggest we keep the heavy midlands land dry. Heavy rain nearly every day for the last two weeks. Another two weeks of this and they’ll be in the shed.

120 mms rain here in the last 7 days anyway, 4.5 ins in old money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

That's so true, how come there's so many 29/30 month store cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Thread well off topic as seen before, €4:30 akg base price in liffey meats cavan this week for in spec heifers.

Advertisement