Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Bought some poor AA stores late last year. Most were April/May 18. they varied from 300-400kgs. Really hungry one they cost from 450-600euro, they averaged a bit with 500euro. There was 9 of them. 6 of them are slaughtered averaging 1300euro at 340kgs approx(5 were in November so got the 20c bonus). Three were Feb/March born cattle and went over age. Two will be slaughtered pre Christmas and the last one has a damaged hoof so will be a while yet.

If you could buy light April/ May born ones this time of year or next spring/early summer at handy money they would leave s nice touch. Even AA calves born late in the year would be fit for slaughter now. An AA bullock O+grading hanging 290DW will make over 1100euro.

But not every year is like this year where beef price has been virtually the same all year with no Autumn drop in price and good weight gain throughout the year

What would be the margin when you factor in insurance, fencing, hedge cutting, slurry/dung, silage, diesel, land costs, depreciation on machinery, depreciation on sheds, meal, any repayments, meal, fertiliser, accountant fees, own labour costs, vet fees, medicine, lighting in sheds/electricity, lime, reseeding, vermin control, straw, minerals, repairs to sheds, repairs to machinery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Dunedin wrote: »
    What would be the margin when you factor in insurance, fencing, hedge cutting, slurry/dung, silage, diesel, land costs, depreciation on machinery, depreciation on sheds, meal, any repayments, meal, fertiliser, accountant fees, own labour costs, vet fees, medicine, lighting in sheds/electricity, lime, reseeding, vermin control, straw, minerals, repairs to sheds, repairs to machinery?

Fair play Dunedin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have my total variable costs calculated at about 350/head over all cattle. Total fixed costs are minimal at this stage. Adding back the reality of some costs on books not being totally farm related make it a good part time business.

By end of year will have 65-70cattle finished this year. Say 65, projected gross margins will be over 600/head. Net margin @260/head to I'll be 16.8k, SFP 8k, ANC 2.4k,Reps 1.6k, slaughter scheme1.1k.
    Total nearly 30 k. I have also the old farm house done up total rental return is over 7.5k in a full year.

I manage the farm in 3 hours a day if I really tried but I am retired from my career and just stretch it a little bit more than that. Farm is about 12 miles from me. Them AA left me over 350/ head. If every animal managed that I be hitting another 5-8k.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I have my total variable costs calculated at about 350/head over all cattle. Total fixed costs are minimal at this stage. Adding back the reality of some costs on books not being totally farm related make it a good part time business.

By end of year will have 65-70cattle finished this year. Say 65, projected gross margins will be over 600/head. Net margin @260/head to I'll be 16.8k, SFP 8k, ANC 2.4k,Reps 1.6k, slaughter scheme1.1k.
    Total nearly 30 k. I have also the old farm house done up total rental return is over 7.5k in a full year.

I manage the farm in 3 hours a day if I really tried but I am retired from my career and just stretch it a little bit more than that. Farm is about 12 miles from me. Them AA left me over 350/ head. If every animal managed that I be hitting another 5-8k.

Our of curiosity and you that’s good at sums
    If you bought these as yearling stores as per the 9 @€;500av
    If the calf costs €150 @ 3 weeks
    Would the rearer have any margin from the €350?

Our of curiosity and you that’s good at sums
    If you bought these as yearling stores as per the 9 @€;500av
    If the calf costs €150 @ 3 weeks
    Would the rearer have any margin from the €350?

He have nothing out of them, they were very poorly done some were barely able to walk into the ring. As Jam says they were gambling cattle. I guessed that they hit 1100 minimum when buying. They did a nice touch better. Pay 100 euro more for them and you are at nothing as one could go toes up. The two being fed should hit 300 euro but they went into the shed early October Add about 130 extra to the 350 to get there total costs. I be happy if they have the weight to hit 1250-1300 euro. The lad with the bad hoof looks like he might be there until next Summer as he is not fleshing up

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

3.70 base for steers on offer in Kilbeggan. Tempted to offload a few.
    any other quotes out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bass is that 260e before variable costs?

I have my total variable costs calculated at about 350/head over all cattle. Total fixed costs are minimal at this stage.

Pretty much all of what I listed out is a variable cost. What’s the breakdown of the €350 (even just a list of the items making up the cost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

dryan wrote: »

Havent heard a move,
    but Showed 2 factory fit bullocks today in mart.
    3.93 on a 55 percent killout or 4. 00 on a 54 percent.
    So a 3.73 or 3.80 base when 20c QA took off.

Pretty much all of what I listed out is a variable cost. What’s the breakdown of the €350 (even just a list of the items making up the cost)

Winter feeding costs Inc minerals 110 euro
    Grazing costs 100 euro
    Ration for finishing 45euro
    Vet &dosing 15 euro
    Mortality 8 euro
    Miscellaneous 70/ head.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Winter feeding costs Inc minerals 110 euro
    Grazing costs 100 euro
    Ration for finishing 45euro
    Vet &dosing 15 euro
    Mortality 8 euro
    Miscellaneous 70/ head.

What about insurance, fencing, hedge cutting, slurry, depreciation, land costs, diesel, tractor tax, farm vehicle tax and insurance, reseeding, lime, farm wet gear, vermin control, repairs to sheds, accounting fees, own labour costs, machinery repairs, handle for the grape every few years.

The above all apply to suckler cows so surely they apply to stores as well and must be included???

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

What about insurance, fencing, hedge cutting, slurry, depreciation, land costs, diesel, tractor tax, farm vehicle tax and insurance, reseeding, lime, farm wet gear, vermin control, repairs to sheds, accounting fees, own labour costs, machinery repairs, handle for the grape every few years.

The above all apply to suckler cows so surely they apply to stores as well and must be included???

Cripes, if we included all of them we'd be working for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

tatoo wrote: »
    Cripes, if we included all of them we'd be working for nothing!

Most beef farmers are working for Larry.... They just don't realise it or refuse to admit it....Im in denyal myself 😂 😂

We have two cars on the books capital costs are 22k or 14.333k in capital allowances. There is 7.5k in running costs approx which translate to 5k in allowances. Now I can get in to semantics and say my farm vehicle costs or tell you that it 97 euro/ head. If I was not a beef farmer I still have to pay them so I consider it a BIK not a cost.

Slurry is nutrient that included in the bale silage costs. It cost me 1400 euro last year to spread slurry.. I made 260 bales. Silage bales costs are mow, bale, wrap and plastic 13/ bale. Fertilizer 10/bale Inc slurry @5.4/ bale, N @ 3.1/ bale and extra p&K at 1.5/bale. Additive 1/ bale, Transport 1/ bale. That 25/ bale I actually cist it at 27.5/ bale at present.

Total farm insurance which is our home, the rental, two tractors and farm is 1450 off the top of my head this year, All is written off against tax along with rubbish collection so while not a BIK, it not an added cost either.

Grazing costs are 100/ head or 7k this year, it will includes reseeding ( not that I did any this year), fencing ( about 800 euro this year), hedge cutting ( none this year ), fertilizer ( total bill 2800 this year 50%to grazing,50% to silage).

I suppose as well as the handle for the fork( grape) or yard brush and yard scraper I should Inc the dog and cat which are at home not on the farm. The cat eats a can of catfood every two days a bit of dry cat food. She costs 35c/ day. The dog is a Springer spaniel. It was bought for the youngest lad 12 years ago. He has a bit of remumtism. He getting a drug for it it cost 100/ year. He gets a can of dog food every second day and a nice bit of dried dog food he costs about 60c/ day. Dog and cat feed costs are 330/ year. Dog was at vet this year 30 euro I think and both were worked 7 euro. Total 467 on the books or 6.6/ head

Accountant is 800 for the year to do two rentals, farm and other personal taxation. Some is allowed in the misc costs 5/ head would nearly cover half the bill. I do not rent land so no land rental costs, the money I make covers my labour costs. I am not in to semantics but I have a fair idea of my costs and what I can draw in profit efficiently from the farm. It pays bills anything I can write off I do. I know it not as profitable as other businesses however I am not tied to it like I be to other businesses.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I have a few to go as well soon, any quotes for next week around?
    Looked at the agriland app, does it quote the grid price anywhere, or are their prices an average of grid price plus BB bonus and any breed bonuses that might apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

As a matter of interest, what kind of acreage do you farm bass?

As a matter of interest, what kind of acreage do you farm bass?

24 HA goes in for farm payments and that is pushing it a bit. I have 1-2 dodgy acres if I got an inspection

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quotes for the coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »

Talk of a cut in blks down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Talk of a cut in blks down here.

Well that was short lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Cavanjack wrote: »

3.80. Plus 20. Plus 10 for under 340 kg. Not sure which plant

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any quotes this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

Any quotes this week?
    €3.75 for heifers in the midlands from 2 factories. They’re determined not to give any more. They’re getting plenty of cows in so don’t need to give any more apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

DBK1 wrote: »
    €3.75 for heifers in the midlands from 2 factories. They’re determined not to give any more. They’re getting plenty of cows in so don’t need to give any more apparently.

That's actually the same as our local. No bite at all for prime, but getting plenty of cows.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    That's actually the same as our local. No bite at all for prime, but getting plenty of cows.

Last week and this weeks are always bad weeks for cattle. You never see the winter price rise starting until next week as White meat takes centre stage. It may be later his week as some larger finishers are throwing cattle at feedlots that normally would be held until January. Alot now depends on Brexit. For processors it the gift that keeps on giving.

Slava Ukrainii

Jjameson wrote: »
    MII are lobbying for an Brexit aid package. They are sharpening their knives to pull another coup.

Using taxes to fund slaughter compensation schemes while not actually examine the books of a cartel of processors who are dominating Europe beef industry is starting to become a perpetual government policy.

When retailers and processor's are allowed to operate using multiple company format to hide there true profitability even examination of there books would show little . You need to look at linked companies as well. ABP group borrow there working capital from a linked Goodman company based in Luxembourg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Every family member is a director or employee, corporate expenses cover every thing from horse racing to private helicopters. Nearly impossible to accurately estimate.

Isn’t our beef supposed to be traceable from farm to fork! Follow it and assert what’s being paid for what. Get answers from the wholesalers and retailers.

In the aftermath of the horsemeat scandal I sold in spec Angus bullocks that miraculously graded r at very near 5€ a kg.

Surely no one has to divulge their business information, It's really none of anyones business

wrangler wrote: »
    Surely no one has to divulge their business information, It's really none of anyones business

When they are lobbying for monetary aid there should be an onus to prove beyond doubt that they are actually out of pocket and not actually benefiting.

It interesting that CRH is after publicly announcing that it is returning the COVID employment payments that it received earlier in the year. It stated it took the payment at the time but that there was not a substantial enough effect on its market for it to retain the payment and that in the economic interest of the country it could not in good faith retain the payment. I think as well it stated that it markets recovered even though it took a hit earlier during the lockdown

I think Google and a few other Internet companies as well returned payment. IKEA was one of the first retail companies to refund exchequer payments in lift of not suffering a huge economic hit.

However it interesting that one again MII goes running to the government. It interesting as well that over the last 2-3 weeks Gastro pubs and Restaurants could not access the quanties they required of AA especially but HE steak as retail demand of supermarkets was taking more of this product than normal.

In a normal market in such a situation competing companies would try to grab market share and procure extra supplies by either actively competing againstinst each other for these cattle or use it as a chance to change specifications such as allowing bonus on these on cattle up to 36 months

The worst of it is that farm originations and farm publication never question this BS but consider the answer to be subsidities which do not reflect the market cost to farmers.

Even though I have a few cattle that will be slaughtered now and after Christmas I prefer if government refused and we started to see hard questions asked of why more cannot be extracted from the market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It interesting that CRH is after publicly announcing that it is returning the COVID employment payments that it received earlier in the year. It stated it took the payment at the time but that there was not a substantial enough effect on its market for it to retain the payment and that in the economic interest of the country it could not in good faith retain the payment. I think as well it stated that it markets recovered even though it took a hit earlier during the lockdown

I think Google and a few other Internet companies as well returned payment. IKEA was one of the first retail companies to refund exchequer payments in lift of not suffering a huge economic hit.

However it interesting that one again MII goes running to the government. It interesting as well that over the last 2-3 weeks Gastro pubs and Restaurants could not access the quanties they required of AA especially but HE steak as retail demand of supermarkets was taking more of this product than normal.

In a normal market in such a situation competing companies would try to grab market share and procure extra supplies by either actively competing againstinst each other for these cattle or use it as a chance to change specifications such as allowing bonus on these on cattle up to 36 months

The worst of it is that farm originations and farm publication never question this BS but consider the answer to be subsidities which do not reflect the market cost to farmers.

Even though I have a few cattle that will be slaughtered now and after Christmas I prefer if government refused and we started to see hard questions asked of why more cannot be extracted from the market

Brexit or covid didn't affect farmers as well but there's no one giving back the money

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Brexit or covid didn't affect farmers as well but there's no one giving back the money

BS COVID has been used as an excuse to supress beef prices. They were fast enough to dish out the price decrease in April but are using it now to strangle the recovery. Rations are up by 50/ton in last 12 months.

Only money farmers got was the winter prices support. My understanding is that some if not all processors have received the COVID wage support. It has more than compensated them for any extra costs. They seemed to have strong demand all summer since late May.

There is also an onus on larger companies who are hugely profitable to behave ethically. It interesting as well if rumours that the Goodman family are supposedly looking to exit the ABP and possibly float them as a PLC. The EU is looking more closely at the meat processing industry and the imbalance within the industry. Maybe. The wild west ethos within the industry is coming into too close scrunity

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement