Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any quotes this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭DBK1

dryan wrote: »
    Any quotes this week?
    €3.75 for heifers in the midlands from 2 factories. They’re determined not to give any more. They’re getting plenty of cows in so don’t need to give any more apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

DBK1 wrote: »
    €3.75 for heifers in the midlands from 2 factories. They’re determined not to give any more. They’re getting plenty of cows in so don’t need to give any more apparently.

That's actually the same as our local. No bite at all for prime, but getting plenty of cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    That's actually the same as our local. No bite at all for prime, but getting plenty of cows.

Last week and this weeks are always bad weeks for cattle. You never see the winter price rise starting until next week as White meat takes centre stage. It may be later his week as some larger finishers are throwing cattle at feedlots that normally would be held until January. Alot now depends on Brexit. For processors it the gift that keeps on giving.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Last week and this weeks are always bad weeks for cattle. You never see the winter price rise starting until next week as White meat takes centre stage. It may be later his week as some larger finishers are throwing cattle at feedlots that normally would be held until January. Alot now depends on Brexit. For processors it the gift that keeps on giving.

MII are lobbying for an Brexit aid package. They are sharpening their knives to pull another coup.

Using taxes to fund slaughter compensation schemes while not actually examine the books of a cartel of processors who are dominating Europe beef industry is starting to become a perpetual government policy.

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    MII are lobbying for an Brexit aid package. They are sharpening their knives to pull another coup.

Using taxes to fund slaughter compensation schemes while not actually examine the books of a cartel of processors who are dominating Europe beef industry is starting to become a perpetual government policy.

When retailers and processor's are allowed to operate using multiple company format to hide there true profitability even examination of there books would show little . You need to look at linked companies as well. ABP group borrow there working capital from a linked Goodman company based in Luxembourg

Slava Ukrainii

When retailers and processor's are allowed to operate using multiple company format to hide there true profitability even examination of there books would show little . You need to look at linked companies as well. ABP group borrow there working capital from a linked Goodman company based in Luxembourg
    Every family member is a director or employee, corporate expenses cover every thing from horse racing to private helicopters. Nearly impossible to accurately estimate.

Isn’t our beef supposed to be traceable from farm to fork! Follow it and assert what’s being paid for what. Get answers from the wholesalers and retailers.

In the aftermath of the horsemeat scandal I sold in spec Angus bullocks that miraculously graded r at very near 5€ a kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Every family member is a director or employee, corporate expenses cover every thing from horse racing to private helicopters. Nearly impossible to accurately estimate.

Isn’t our beef supposed to be traceable from farm to fork! Follow it and assert what’s being paid for what. Get answers from the wholesalers and retailers.

In the aftermath of the horsemeat scandal I sold in spec Angus bullocks that miraculously graded r at very near 5€ a kg.

Surely no one has to divulge their business information, It's really none of anyones business

wrangler wrote: »
    Surely no one has to divulge their business information, It's really none of anyones business

When they are lobbying for monetary aid there should be an onus to prove beyond doubt that they are actually out of pocket and not actually benefiting.

When they are lobbying for monetary aid there should be an onus to prove beyond doubt that they are actually out of pocket and not actually benefiting.

It interesting that CRH is after publicly announcing that it is returning the COVID employment payments that it received earlier in the year. It stated it took the payment at the time but that there was not a substantial enough effect on its market for it to retain the payment and that in the economic interest of the country it could not in good faith retain the payment. I think as well it stated that it markets recovered even though it took a hit earlier during the lockdown

I think Google and a few other Internet companies as well returned payment. IKEA was one of the first retail companies to refund exchequer payments in lift of not suffering a huge economic hit.

However it interesting that one again MII goes running to the government. It interesting as well that over the last 2-3 weeks Gastro pubs and Restaurants could not access the quanties they required of AA especially but HE steak as retail demand of supermarkets was taking more of this product than normal.

In a normal market in such a situation competing companies would try to grab market share and procure extra supplies by either actively competing againstinst each other for these cattle or use it as a chance to change specifications such as allowing bonus on these on cattle up to 36 months

The worst of it is that farm originations and farm publication never question this BS but consider the answer to be subsidities which do not reflect the market cost to farmers.

Even though I have a few cattle that will be slaughtered now and after Christmas I prefer if government refused and we started to see hard questions asked of why more cannot be extracted from the market

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It interesting that CRH is after publicly announcing that it is returning the COVID employment payments that it received earlier in the year. It stated it took the payment at the time but that there was not a substantial enough effect on its market for it to retain the payment and that in the economic interest of the country it could not in good faith retain the payment. I think as well it stated that it markets recovered even though it took a hit earlier during the lockdown

I think Google and a few other Internet companies as well returned payment. IKEA was one of the first retail companies to refund exchequer payments in lift of not suffering a huge economic hit.

However it interesting that one again MII goes running to the government. It interesting as well that over the last 2-3 weeks Gastro pubs and Restaurants could not access the quanties they required of AA especially but HE steak as retail demand of supermarkets was taking more of this product than normal.

In a normal market in such a situation competing companies would try to grab market share and procure extra supplies by either actively competing againstinst each other for these cattle or use it as a chance to change specifications such as allowing bonus on these on cattle up to 36 months

The worst of it is that farm originations and farm publication never question this BS but consider the answer to be subsidities which do not reflect the market cost to farmers.

Even though I have a few cattle that will be slaughtered now and after Christmas I prefer if government refused and we started to see hard questions asked of why more cannot be extracted from the market

Brexit or covid didn't affect farmers as well but there's no one giving back the money

Brexit or covid didn't affect farmers as well but there's no one giving back the money

BS COVID has been used as an excuse to supress beef prices. They were fast enough to dish out the price decrease in April but are using it now to strangle the recovery. Rations are up by 50/ton in last 12 months.

Only money farmers got was the winter prices support. My understanding is that some if not all processors have received the COVID wage support. It has more than compensated them for any extra costs. They seemed to have strong demand all summer since late May.

There is also an onus on larger companies who are hugely profitable to behave ethically. It interesting as well if rumours that the Goodman family are supposedly looking to exit the ABP and possibly float them as a PLC. The EU is looking more closely at the meat processing industry and the imbalance within the industry. Maybe. The wild west ethos within the industry is coming into too close scrunity

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Looked for a few beef dinners for a group last week, only 7 to be got!!

BS COVID has been used as an excuse to supress beef prices. They were fast enough to dish out the price decrease in April but are using it now to strangle the recovery. Rations are up by 50/ton in last 12 months.

Only money farmers got was the winter prices support. My understanding is that some if not all processors have received the COVID wage support. It has more than compensated them for any extra costs. They seemed to have strong demand all summer since late May.

There is also an onus on larger companies who are hugely profitable to behave ethically. It interesting as well if rumours that the Goodman family are supposedly looking to exit the ABP and possibly float them as a PLC. The EU is looking more closely at the meat processing industry and the imbalance within the industry. Maybe. The wild west ethos within the industry is coming into too close scrunity

Old people used to say that if you keep doing what you made your money on you'll eventually lose it, I've seen loads of examples of this over the years.
    Good operators know when to cash in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

TBF there is a possibility of a doomsday scenario looming but no one can say for certain what the actual effect will be on the industry.

What I got from the joint statement was the fact that these 3 or 4 processors came together and issued it. They have repeatedly stated they don't talk to each other! Now before the keyboard warriors attack me, haven't they a little vehicle called MII for that very purpose.

kk.man wrote: »
    TBF there is a possibility of a doomsday scenario looming but no one can say for certain what the actual effect will be on the industry.

What I got from the joint statement was the fact that these 3 or 4 processors came together and issued it. They have repeatedly stated they don't talk to each other! Now before the keyboard warriors attack me, haven't they a little vehicle called MII for that very purpose.

Lethal Weapon quote

Roger Murtaugh : [discussing a theory] That's pretty ****ing thin.

Martin Riggs : That's very thin.

Roger Murtaugh : What the hell, thin's my middle name.

It just a coincidence like they say thin mighty thin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any predictions as to what the price of beef will be over the next few months with the brexit thing sorted (hopefully)? Numbers are sure to tighten with less finishing this winter due to the uncertainty.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Any predictions as to what the price of beef will be over the next few months with the brexit thing sorted (hopefully)? Numbers are sure to tighten with less finishing this winter due to the uncertainty.

Trade agreements are always tenuous but “Brexit” was a great cloak over the dagger.
    In terms of predicting price we have little of anything to go on, always budget for the worst and and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

When are factories back killing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hagimalone wrote: »

Kepak was due to be killing 3 days this week.

• Advertisement

Hagimalone wrote: »

Ours is back tomorrow. They were saying its some pain in the hole with lads gone home & having to quarantine when they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any quotes?
    Held a few steers back in November. Quoted 3.70 today so no sign of change.

dryan wrote: »
    Any quotes?
    Held a few steers back in November. Quoted 3.70 today so no sign of change.

Donegal still the pick at 3.80 if meeting the requirements. Don't expect a price rise as it was starting to slip the days before Christmas. Holding onto current base is all I can imagine atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

Looking to get a very nice heifer away. First one we have killed ourselves I would say in 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

6 wh heifers coming uo to 30 months Jan 20th ,there fed with 2 months but could do with more .I suppose the best option is to kill next week marts might not even be open down here in kerry direction .What price should I be looking at for them

cute geoge wrote: »
    6 wh heifers coming uo to 30 months Jan 20th ,there fed with 2 months but could do with more .I suppose the best option is to kill next week marts might not even be open down here in kerry direction .What price should I be looking at for them

Marts open atm. As good a trade this week as before Christmas. Get on to some agents and let them eyeball them for fat. You've option's anyway.

Anyone see Roscrea fat stock Friday.
    Alot of the cows needed €4 to wipe their face. I've never seen a sale like it.
    I killed a fair cow during the week I'd say I was €350 short looking at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Would it be any advantage to have finished heifers export tested ?
    If selling in mart all under 24 months and QA

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Anyone see Roscrea fat stock Friday.
    Alot of the cows needed €4 to wipe their face. I've never seen a sale like it.
    I killed a fair cow during the week I'd say I was €350 short looking at those prices.

I saw that too absolute mad prices ... factories are giving lots in the mart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I saw there in the journal bonus of up to 25 cents for aa and hereford heifers .What factories is this bonus available in .Aibp quoted me E3.75 base last week and 10 cent hereford bonus

Advertisement