Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Anyone any factory quotes this week. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think there’s scope for a rise this week, Ramadan and Easter are together this year and not everyone is going to be able to eat/afford lamb.

I spotted burgers in Dunnes at €11.76 a kg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

€4.85 for heifers in the midlands, same as last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

I have 12 br friesans cows and heifers fed well , good fat . Have always sent these sort of animals to factory. Would it be worth trying the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If they are near fit the mart is the place for them. P&O grading cows with flesh are making from €300+ with their weight to €2/kg. There is strong competition online for factory fit cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Got a nice glossy brochure from ABP today. Obviously I must be doing something wrong. I was in the bottom 10% for my DairyXDairy and DairyXBeef carbon footprint. My conformation was around the top 15% mark

How they can access my Greenhouse gas footprint without out looking at my fertlizer and ration input.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Talking to an agent today he said €5 flat is got very easily for Hereford Bullocks, exspects the price to hold for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

That agent is a keeper and valuable to the processor if he is able to get in spec HE blks at €5 flat. They worth something around 15/20 cent more the last 3 weeks.

He could be right about them holding all year but Id be supprised if there wasn't a shake up (maybe small) for galway races and again when weather breaks in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They would want to hold and add a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

My BIL got 5,25 flat and transport for aa bullocks next week. There is ppl getting way more than being quoted. After hearing this I'm going fighting like a dog with my cattle this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭manjou

Was at rare breed meeting and message back from abp was to watch carbon navigator dates as cattle arriving in are to in too long and so affect grass fed status didn't think much till read this they must have access to all dept info

I would not worry about it until they start paying a grass fed bonus. I never tick the grass fed box at back of the lairage dispatch document.

It's a bit like the carbon rubbish I got during the week that will be ignored as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Don’t sell any this time of the year so didn’t ask much questions,so if a lad had a good bunch of Herefords to sell what should he expect?can you see them improving much through the year

That’s a good price, yeah every one would want to sell hard this e

Yeah I was thinking that but the middle of the angus would probably be coming a bit less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭amacca

yep and what gets me is it must be anti environmental as it pushes more throughput and meal feeding (inputs).......and yet the fuckers will claim its to help the environment and lower the carbon footprint etc........they should be fought tooth and nail on age limits and the like. not only does it keep the power with them it reduces the producer to a slave and is beyond unfair trading practice in my book. thats how big business makes the farmer into a slave....its evolving towards how chicken farmers in the states are ridden by the likes of Tyson etc.

They can only do that if we let them. At present there are lads pushing cattle hard to finish worrying that the price migh fall.

Dairygold and Glanbia are offering 310-315 for green barley (20% moisture) off the combine. That equivalent to 350/ tone before they add there margin. Bulk rations will cost 400+/ton for anything decent next winter.

Translate this to feedlots accross most of western Europe means a beef price of 5.5-6/ kg before you allow for the reduction in beef.

In a Centra shop I say two sirloin steaks at 6 euro. They may be small but there a good bit of space for a continued rise in price to farmers.

Lads should do what is profitable not what is being pushed on them. A Friesian calf bought for 50 euro this spring is replacing a bullock if done moderately well( grass kept ahead as a yearling and two year old and decent silage) is capable of grossing 17-1800 euro using less than 500 kgs of ration as a calf, over the first winter and at the 7-10 week summer finishing period.

HE and AA will gross the same but a lot will be hung out of sheds at 20-24 months probably on a tad more ration.

The Suckler calf will gross more but the cow costs have to be factored in. Lads that cannot make a margin should rent or preferably sell there land and walk away from it.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The thirty month age limit should be consigned to history at this stage particularly given what they are paying for cull cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve over 70 2 year old Fr. Grass is tight but fertiliser is out. I didn’t cut back. Over 3 bags of 18 6 12 per acre. I started feeding meal in the middle of June last year. I was thinking of starting earlier this year. Any advice? I’d feed them well if I was doing it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have a feeling there will be a glut in factories in the back end with a lot of cull cows .Last year the weather was amazing good summer and september also this helped increase and hold prices to well into the Autumn .Alot will depend on weather really but I would be aiming to be lightening In August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there something about dry tubes being done way with this year. That extra cows will be going.

I start picking out any Friesian that I think will grade O-/+ and start feeding some from the start of May. I have FR out six weeks now. These have fleshed up nicely now I have twenty picked out. My aim is to start feeding in early May and start slaughtering in late June/ early July. Anything that I think will grade will be killed under 30 months.

As Iighten numbers it give me a chance to buy light replacements who will gain 100kgs before housing.

I try to source a Maize/barley/hulls mix. I have used maize/ hulls and even hulls by themselves.

I am not overly worried about price. I think that price will hold. I think price will climb another bit before starting to decline from June on. But the decline will not be rapid I think.

Slava Ukrainii

In old money it was half a KB if meal per CWT. Nowadays they saw 500 grams per hundred kgs do as not to dilute grass advantage.

I usually wait until first rotation is over. Grass in the first rotation as it's has been overwintered is high in DM. It can have s UFL of up to 1. That means it can have the feed value of barley.

Some of my Friesians have laid down FS of 2+/3 at present. However they would not weight or K/O well.

I have seen lads panic with heifers in May as they are fat. They hand then buy the weights are brutal. If you had some three year old cattle ya they would be a different kettle of fish.

Slava Ukrainii

These are the Friesians

These are a few photos of them. First lad is well into FS3, most of the the rest are 2+

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

i cant see a massive beef price reduction in the Autumn for a number of reasons. The amount of culls going through the system is unreal (driven by a strong price), the price of meal to finish cattle is crazy and when oil is dear so is beef (usually).  

TBF They are the best twenty. I have another 15ish like that but there are going back from them. I have 6 HE very mixed two AA and five LM bullocks. The other 15 ish FR are mixed, some are very young ( may/ June born) but there is 8-10 that are fairly HO.

Ya the first lad is a good one. He should definitely be O+ at a bit below 700 kgs. I say if you carried him to 400 DW he be very close to an R.

If they hang above 340 kgs I be surprised if there is more than 2 P grades in them and I will be disappointed at that.

Not bad going for buying off the camera. Only bought about 7-8 bullocks standing in the mart last year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Serious FRs there in fairness. Have 14 x 27 month old FRs out on grass for 5 weeks now. Grass was decent but finishing first round now this week. They are 550-570Kgs. I'd say 9 of them would grade O= and 5 lanky P's. Would I be better off start the FR O's on ration now (hang them in early June) and leave the P's graze away and finish them with some 2 YO LMXs in late July/Aug?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Got 4.35 flat for fr cows and 4.85 flat for fr heifers . All had meal in them . Will grade O/P but had good fat cover . An improved offer from last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Advertisement