Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Switched from continental sucklers selling weanlings to dairy calf to beef here 10 years ago,we kill all calves as bullocks and heifers before there second winter.They are a mix of AA and HE.Dead weights usually average 270kg for heifers and 315kg bullocks

Main thing is i have a good relationship with the dairy farmer I buy off,he let's me pick the ai straw for his beef calves before breeding,he has no Jersey blood in the herd at all,all calves are bought in the region of €150 flat rate bulls and heifers +3 weeks old,it works well so far but if I had to go back buying in marts from unknown herds I wouldn't bother rearing calves

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

I see ABP Demo Farm slaughtered a O- Heifer with just a carcase weight of 201 kgs with an adequate fat finish. This Heifer was produced from a low Genetic Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

One day the bull gats the blame and the next the cow will get the blame .What does drafting an underweight animal for the factory prove only they will clean you .She would have come into r grade if left until proper factory weight so someone tot up what that brain fart cost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I was cutting the lawn earlier and looking for a podcast to listen to when I chanced upon the Teagasc BeefEdge one.

The host was talking to a dairy-beef lad who buys 100+ calves every year and finishes them all. He buys them from his brother who’s milking cows. He sounds like he’s doing a great job on them in fairness but not once did the host ask him what type of cow was the brother milking. The only talk was the DBI of the bull. It’s almost like Teagasc have decided the cow has no impact on the calf so drive on with the extreme types.

Anyway, bottom line from the podcast was buy better calves and feed them more meal in their first year. Who’d have thought, eh?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

She would have come into 880 euro and that is depending on no penalty for low carcass weight. Kepak had proposed a penalty on light cattle of 20-50/kg depending on how far below 230kgs DW she was. She would probably be hit with 30-40c/kg so another 60-80 below that if there was an underweight penalty.

If you slaughtered her next June at 280+kgs and as an O+ grade she would hit over 1400 at the same price. However June price is usually 30-50c/kg above autumn price so 1500-1550 euro.

The only thing next year is the proposed slaughter premia for U24 months of 100 euro however I see there is hints of 24-26 months of age

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Madness killing the likes of her. €200 would probably keep her from now until next June and as you said probably get €1400 for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

any prices for this week ie week commencing 19th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭older by the day

200 would not feed her on briars these times. Fert gone up 40 euro a ton here this morning. I would not be keeping many animals for grass next spring unless they are a sure thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve only 13 left out of 86. So far they’re averaging €1480 and bought in for €660 last October. The last ones are bigger than some sold already. I think I’m working out pretty good. Under 30 ton of meal. Them dairy cattle are the ones that leave money overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Thats great going but being nosey on how many acres are you working .Do you feed many bales for the winter .

I have a few cows to go ,One place has droped to E4 and other place booked up this week but said will hold price for me for next week.Its hard to predict price in the short term really ,there is demand but when weather changes will they be glutted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

They would have had around 62 acres. I had to buy 100 bales of silage. The cattle i buy usually eat between 4 and 4.5 bales of silage every year. I've 320 this year and I've a 100 bales of hay bought. It's a simple system. I've 72 acres in total. Letting out the last field os stubbles in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I think the price drop happening to drop the price of stores ahead of the winter. Pulling back a bit, to increase the margin in the feedlots and winter cattle. There will always be ups and downs. Dropping the price give the factories at least 3 weeks before they have to rise.

I wonder are the feelots starting to empty with the beef required for the world cup

Anything bought last back end is leaving money. I’ve one load of continental bullocks left. It’s a poor bullock that hasn’t left €900 behind them with an average of €100 of meal in them roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I wouldn’t expect a World Cup bounce this year. Who is going to have a BBQ in November

What will you buy after leaving the pub after a few pints.......as yes a veggie burger

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Who's going to feed meal. The rush will be over the next month for farmers to move the last of grass cattle, this will push up numbers for the next few weeks. The huge numbers killed early this year and lighter will come back into play. Look at what happened in May and early June with price. The same will happen again. I suspect the trade is going to push on again. Looking at beef price futures on the world market it's even higher all of next year approx 15-20%. Inflation has a part to play but the boogie year of high inputs will pinch the grain fed cattle worldwide more.

Mince is retailing at approx €10/kg at the moment. This it the cheapest and highest margin of beef that the factories have. Bone it out rough, into the mincer, stack the packs high. Customers are changing their shopping habits and mince is a staple on the list of most households weekly for customers in Ireland and the uk

There is another elephant in the room. Talking to two lads that winter finish both are exiting it this year. Risk is too great in there opinion without an indication of market price.

It's 500/ head to finish cattle this winter one of them said to me which is my opinion as well. Add to that cost of stock. One lad finishes 40-50 and his calculation is he would have 80-100 k tied up to finish them.

Factories pulling prices will only re-enforce that thinking. Second lad finishes 100+ over the winter. He would normally have 25-30 bulls feeding at present. He slaughtered them 3-4 weeks ago at FS2=. He would not take the risk after the procurement manager refused to give him an indication of the price for late October.

I think both would have to go into derogation next year and that is a factor as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Was talking to two different factory reps at that ploughing yesterday, one offered me 470+20c for AA Bullocks and heifers the other offered me 475 +25c for both and free haulage,seem to be hungry enough for those types of animal still anyway

• Advertisement

Plenty of lads in the marts to buy heavy continental bulls 500kg plus for finishing.

Its the same talk every autumn about lads not feeding over the winter. It never happens though.

There has been a continuous exit of smaller lads. However the lads finishing have increased numbers at the higher end.

While not surprised the smaller lad is stopping I am surprised by the bigger lad. He have killed 300 ISH per year. He had a tidy operation and is still only in his late 40's. He had an operation finishing HE and AA bullocks out of the shed followed with young bulls. Then cows and heifers for the summer.

But he has pulled the plug on the winter finishing part. One thing that may have impacted him is the derogation rules next year. He have to apply for one next year as I think he exported a nice bit of slurry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Wats the new rules bass next year

Previously if you exceeded 170 N/ HA you could export slurry and avoid having a derogation plan in place. From next year on you will need to apply for a derogation and put a plan in place if you exceed 170 N/HA

A lot of these lads killing cattle on adlib over the winter( or any highration diets) have to be exceeding 170N/HA unless they are in tillage. The bigger guy would definitely have been over 170, I expect the smaller lad was as well.

If you were in a derogation you could not be in GLAS or there was some catch as I was previously before I joined GLAS( not that I was getting a fortune from it). However both of these guys probably were. The lad killing numbers would have the acerage to work ACRES so this may be a reason as well

Slava Ukrainii

Weighed cattle today and thrive was really disappointing. Weighed them last on August 8th and the lack of grass really shows now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Weighed mine last Saturday, similar disappointment but not going to go pumping them with meal they will all go to grass next spring and hopefully make it up then

No. And things would want to be desperate before I feed stores at grass

• Advertisement

Might be worth throwing them a bale in a round feeder to keep them ticking over

Advertisement