Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wrangler wrote: »
    Typical Beef plan statement, you've no proof whether it's right or wrong and the joke isBeef Plan can't get proof either way
    God knows they've tried

I’m an ifa member. Never been to a beef plan meeting.
    Your a bit obsessed with them.
    Like a gay in the closet that protesteth too much I suspect you’ve a secret Gra for them!!

Why would prices rise with Beef Plan driving them down

Have a look at a price graph pre and post protests. The figures don’t lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Would there be an interest in having a beef price thread on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭older by the day

Why would prices rise with Beef Plan driving them down

The ifa will have enough to do now, with the FBD having to pay out the publicans losses. Anyways stop the squabbling tho it's a bit of crack rising you

epfff wrote: »
    Would there be an interest in having a beef price thread on here?
    3.80 steers Slaney today.
    3.75 steers Slaney next week.
    And saying 3.70 for the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Jjameson wrote: »
    Low margin my hole. Taking company pre tax profits without knowing what they are before director and executive remuneration and expenses are deducted and dividing by through put is indeed a low margin.

As it should be even his lavish dinners with his business partners are taking into account and put down for tax purposes.
    We farmers don't even pay ourselves nor do we take account of land cost.nor do we account for family labour. We can produce beef out of thin air.

U can be sure Goodman accounts for every penny he spends on his business.

He has massive turnover with a low margin that's not a secret.thats how he makes his millions

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I agree with you , takeing his money then saying you didn't get enough, over and over again is stupid. The time spent giveing out about him surely could be put to better use.

Don't agree with, go big or get out, as a be all and end all mantra. The man with 50 u grade catlle will get more than a lad with 50 bad r's.

Its about quality as much as quantity, with diversication , if required.

Look the man selling 4 or 5000 cattle a year with a contract is clearly doing a hell of a lot better than a lad with a few sucklers..agree with u on the first point u made

At farm gate level both enterprises are farm gate price takers. One has open book cooperative processor who actually answer questions if they fall price.

A beef baron family member had a horse with a south east trainer a couple of years back and after winning a grade one in leopardstown all connected were brought to a Michelin star restaurant in Dublin(cancelled other bookings)
    The trainer enquired about partially remuneration of the evening and discovered it was paid as corporate expenses by the processding company!
    In the region of 6k.
    Would this happen in glanbia?

The death of a Slaney managers mother had gorey town like a scene from the boom a couple of years back with politicians, helicopters, (2 belonging to Goldman’s one unknown) flying into a gorey hotel.

Reality is indeed a dose a lot of posters could do with.

The reality of what James??
    The man's a multi millionaire.
    Why wouldn't he have helicopters ?
    Jazus if I had his money and farmers throwing cattle at me to slaughter sure I'd be laughing too.
    Famers literally lining up to give Larry lots of chape cattle.
    Only one crowd to blame here and its not Larry.

richie123 wrote: »
    Jazus if I had his money and farmers throwing cattle at me to slaughter sure I'd be laughing too.
    He’s actually a billionaire. But yes that’s a fair point and one I do concur with.

As it should be even his lavish dinners with his business partners are taking into account and put down for tax purposes.
    We farmers don't even pay ourselves nor do we take account of land cost.nor do we account for family labour. We can produce beef out of thin air.

U can be sure Goodman accounts for every penny he spends on his business.

He has massive turnover with a low margin that's not a secret.thats how he makes his millions

But where are you procuring the low margin theory from?

• Advertisement

But where are you procuring the low margin theory from?

Sure its widely known throughout the industry same with Ryanair etc sell em cheap and pile em high.
    Its the sheer quantity of product he handles its the same in most business throughout the world over the bigger you are the more u make.
    Obviously I can't ultimately back up my low magin theory because goodmans accounts are never published openly.or not that I know off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sure its widely known throughout the industry same with Ryanair etc sell em cheap and pile em high.
    Its the sheer quantity of product he handles its the same in most business throughout the world over the bigger you are the more u make.
    Obviously I can't ultimately back up my low magin theory because goodmans accounts are never published openly.or not that I know off anyway.

Excessive margin allows in the competition, You wouldn't have a high margin business going long in the real world before there'd be competition

It’s certainly not widely anything.
    Bass done a very good detailed piece on the mathematics some time back and unlike the simpletons in a farming publication who simply divided publicised company nett profits by throughout, (30€ or something daft) he valued the gross worth of the animal after processing, and it’s not a small margin by any means of the imagination!

But why do the Goodmans, Quaelly’s and Browne families drive the knife into producers at every chance? We do agree on this.
    Because they can. And because they can they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Excessive margin allows in the competition, You wouldn't have a high margin business going long in the real world before there'd be competition

How can competition come in. SRM has to go through ABP plant. Therefore you only get your quota....that is if you get a quota.

Slava Ukrainii

But Irish Haughey era beef processing was not the real world.

Bass done a very good detailed piece on the mathematics some time back and unlike the simpletons in a farming publication who simply divided publicised company nett profits by throughout, (30€ or something daft) he valued the gross worth of the animal after processing, and it’s not a small margin by any means of the imagination!

But why do the Goodmans, Quaelly’s and Browne families drive the knife into producers at every chance? We do agree on this.

In the last 5-6 years the main Irish processor's, have taken over above 50% of the UK processing industry. In a so called low margin business Goodman has gone from broke in 1990 to being one of the richest men in Ireland a member of the select group of billionaire's. For a small margin business there is no processor going broke and most find the businesses with no borrowings

Slava Ukrainii

But Irish Haughey era beef processing was not the real world.

Plenty of farmers were made up as well with very mild retribution. Export refunds, green pound devaluations, hormones, I often kick myself for not being smart enough at the time to take advantage

How can competition come in. SRM has to go through ABP plant. Therefore you only get your quota....that is if you get a quota.

And where does our local abbatoirs offal go, when he goes buy stock he drives the dealers mad, buys what he likes, I see very shrewd farmers supplying him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ciaran Fitzgerald has a good art here on who sets prices and it certainly is not the consumer:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ciaran-fitzgerald-food-pricing-and-farm-incomes-must-be-reconnected/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Do u think Jennings in ballinrobe give 5 euro a kilo??? They no better to deal with .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Dunedin

So what’s the alternative. The line is thrown around fairly regularly. Totally agree about giving Larry cheap beef but if the boyos are not there, where I can go with my beef.

So am I going to go out and sell every animal I have and not replace them. Leave land idle or plant it. No I’m not. I’ll tip along with my 20 sucklers and between subs and sales I’ll have close on €30k for myself for about 10 hours a week. Would I like more - of course but it’s the hand in the dogs mouth when I go to sell. Am I happy - no. What’s the alternative- I don’t have one

Dunedin wrote: »
    So what’s the alternative. The line is thrown around fairly regularly. Totally agree about giving Larry cheap beef but if the boyos are not there, where I can go with my beef.

So am I going to go out and sell every animal I have and not replace them. Leave land idle or plant it. No I’m not. I’ll tip along with my 20 sucklers and between subs and sales I’ll have close on €30k for myself for about 10 hours a week. Would I like more - of course but it’s the hand in the dogs mouth when I go to sell. Am I happy - no. What’s the alternative- I don’t have one

Exactly your doing fine.once you realise that.but we can't go down the road going mad about poor beef prices because ultimately no one put a gun to your head to keep them 20 sucklers.
    or forced me to buy Angus and hereford heifers as I've been doing for past while.
    The dairy expansion is going to exacerbate the situation too..oh Larry is kicking his lips :)

There is no real alternative unfortunately agree with u there.

Do u think Jennings in ballinrobe give 5 euro a kilo??? They no better to deal with .

They are minnows swimming with sharks.
    Any of the big three processors can cut the ground out under them if they step above their station.
    Dunbia lost the Sainsbury’s contract in 2013 to Abp for overpaying for cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

4 pages of beef price tracker in just over a day, i was expecting some serious price positives.

Sounds like another blockade is building up on here.

ruwithme wrote: »

At least it would be somewhere to go

At least it would be somewhere to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

4 pages of beef price tracker in just over a day, i was expecting some serious price positives.

Another disaster? Perish the thought.

With Brexit up and running I cannot see the CURRENT price of cattle repeating in Feb 2022, 2023 or 2024. Question is how much LOWER will it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just wondering - does all the SRM produced in the 26 counties have to go through a ABP plant or are there exceptions? I read somewhere in the past that there is a limit on the mileage that SRM can be transported too but maybe that has changed in recent years?

Base price wrote: »
    Just wondering - does all the SRM produced in the 26 counties have to go through a ABP plant or are there exceptions? I read somewhere in the past that there is a limit on the mileage that SRM can be transported too but maybe that has changed in recent years?

There is a 100 mile limit on the distance SRM can move AFAIK. There is only the ABP plants in the South. There is a plant in NI but unless you are near the he border you cannot deal with them. Most Independent plants left are in The Midlands.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

There is a 100 mile limit on the distance SRM can move AFAIK. There is only the ABP plants in the South. There is a plant in NI but unless you are near the he border you cannot deal with them. Most Independent plants left are in The Midlands.

There’s only two small shop butchers with abattoirs in co Wexford and we get our meat here in one of them. Asking him one day were we right or wrong to be shaking our fist at larries minnions I was told we were correct and that he has to deliver and pay Abp to take srm and offal from him while it’s value far exceeds its processing.

But non the less the two medium sized independent abbatoirs near here seem to be moving on in the last 18 months. Big expansion in one. They were who are really locking horns with the northern buyers since before Christmas and have put the floor on prices. Particularly “out of spec” cattle.

Advertisement