Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The quality musnt be bothering the Chinese too much and all of it they are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Seen a 490 kg Friesian bullock 2 years old sold for €1450 in a local mart how can this be justified ? Nice looking bullock but still only an O grade animal. The Adrenaline rush ringside seems to be taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

A proper cold evening out there this evening. Silage is tight round me here. Alot of bale's moving. If this cold spell were to continue for a few weeks it will affect the price in the mart. With that also the factory will more than likely start pulling the price also. I need to start replacing but might hold off for a week or two and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a 650kg CHxHE heifer, hitting 24 months with good cover. If I were to factory, what sort of kill out would you expect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I imagine she's an R grade animal. I'd say 350 kgs dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d say the only thing that’ll affect the mart trade atm is the beef price. I see a msg on the beef group yesterday to say one factory has increased this week by 5cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Heifers back up to base of 5.25 this week in Foyle meats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I killed in 2 factories this week, both telling me they were doing me a great favour by giving me last weeks price of €5.25 and not this weeks price of €5.20.

They’re both quoting €5.25 for next week now without any favours! It looks like they tried getting it to €5.20 but it didn’t work. One of the factories is only doing a 4 day week this week as they didn’t get the numbers of cattle in with the talk of the price drop. Thankfully the power seems to be on the farmers side for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Plus 10 between 300 and 400 kgs I presume. Do you kill many in Foyle?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Has anyone ever talked to a factory agent without being told they're being done a favour??? I think it's a form of Tourette's or verbal tic with them. Every second sentence has to have "favour" in it 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Yea I kill a few

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Is that online anywhere? Don’t see it on LSL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Yeah found it there. Some quality looking cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Factories are trying to keep stock coming in. When prices rise people expect it to continue and will hold cattle. A 5c/ kg over 3 weeks is 50 euro on the a average finished bullock. W LL worth holding if you are not replacing if you gaining even slight more than feed costs

Processors want to keep these lads bringing in cattle. They have now managed 3-4 weeks without a price rise. They will try to hold the line until mid/ late April

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Factories holding prices here but UK have been increasing theirs every week since the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

A Neighbouring Farmer has asked me to herd his Cattle for him during the Summer. He lives a distance from the land I am glad that he trusts me. Should I do it as a Pal / Friend or should I ask for something financially for my time I value your opinions/feedback.

He should pay you for it. Even if it’s 20 quid a time it’s a lot cheaper than him having to drive and do it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

If you take money it will be harder to stop if you find its taking up too much time, hate herding other peoples cattle as would watch them closer than my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im buying a nice batch of bullocks off a farmer...a neighbour beside me...just open a gate and theyre in my herd.... 5 HEX, 5 AAX and 5 LMX....

Only one movement, 2 year old cattle....i would guess 550kg average....some are obviously better than others, few Rs in it.....

He wants 1 flat price for the lot....what would ye suggest?...i want to be fair....im thinking 1500 each?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Thats sounds a fair price but without accurate weights its open to one of you getting shafted. Personally I wouldn't be confident enough in my ability to weigh cattle by eye to spend 22.5k, but there are plenty lads who are seriously accurate with the eye. Also mart weight would be 20/30kg less. Say they are 525kg in the mart @ €2.80/kg they'd make €1470, and the seller would need to pay about €30/head out of that for haulage and mart fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm sure it's answered, but where is the best place to get the most up to date factory prices ?

Agriland, that's farming, IFA all have fairly up to date prices, tho there is usually better deals done than the quoted price.

Tbh when this thread is going good, I feel here is the best place for base quotes direct from the farmers mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Thanks for that input......i have dealt with him before...always do well with him, so i dont mind giving him a good price...very quiet, docile animals, that never need the vet...there maybe a few south of 550kg but also a few north...

the biggest ballache i had with him was always loading and unloading to haul away and weigh them....

I have to give up a day hanging around a mart hoping to fill up a load....i think the benefits of this arrangement outweigh a price saving maybe of the mart...

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Yeah there are no haulage and mart fees for either party. No health or stress issues for the cattle so they can hit the ground running. Good luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s hard to know without seeing them but if he’s happy with €1500 i’d say you’re doing ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

As above that sounds a fair price provided there averaging close on 550kg fresh weight. Working back from there to a mart weight of 520kg @ €1500 is €2.89 a kilo. When you take mart seller's commission and haulage into account you're probably talking about the bones of €40 on those sort of stock (€25 commission and €10-€15 haulage) plus €10 buyers commission and haulage home. All combined that's an additional 10c-12c a kilo at least and he'll need north of €3 a kilo or €60 more a piece in the ring to equal €1500 at home.

Provided you're fairly accurate with the weights then I'd consider €1500 across the board a fair price for both parties. It's a fair touch for a mixed bag but that's the way the world is gone atm and if you were happy with his stock in previous years then it's better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

If you have 550 kgs on your farm for € 1500 you are doing well .

558 kgs sold for € 1630 last mart before Christmas . LMX / HEX

5.20 and 5. 30 bullock heifer base price in Foyle plus 10 cent between 300 and 400 kgs.

Similar base in dunbia in slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Looking in kk mart today...i think there is a bit of heat after being taken out of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If there 550kg on farm then they'd be roughly 520kg after a few hours transport/mart. There's almost 40kg of a difference in those weights (558kg would be touching 600kg on farm). When stock are touching €3 a kilo then every kilo adds up. Having them 40kg heavier at €3 a kilo is €120 and that's the difference in €1500 and €1630.

There's a difference in fresh weights and mart weights and some lad's overlook it. In the US they apply the term "shrinkage" and allow a certain percentage discounted on live weight weigh-ins to account for it. There's a further difference in certain marts due to how long the cattle are standing around before sale. If cattle are booked in prior to sale day and the numbers allocated the real cute lads don't bring them in until shortly before they go through the ring. There's a big difference between them and similar cattle sold in a mart that allocates the numbers as they come in and stock could be standing in a queue for half a day before they even enter the mart.

Advertisement