Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror incident in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

Odhinn wrote: »
    If muslims decided to unilaterally kill themselves everytime there was a terrorist attack, .

If they or anyone else supported those attacks. I would aprreciate this. Then please do so.

Albeit, as said, it is a unilateral descision,

And it has to be a self-made decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If muslims decided to unilaterally kill themselves everytime there was a terrorist attack, you'd still have a problem with them. It's blatant intellectual dishonesty and more than a bit amusing.

Observer comment:
    Do you ever wait for a reply in a state of non-amusement? It's very amusing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the last 20 years, in France there have been by my calculations... 405 terrorist attacks / incidents. By my rough maths, 405 people were killed (quick maths).....

2016 was the worst year 36 incidents, 161 deaths, 300 injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

What group was it? Any organisation claimed responsibility yet?

Feckless n'er-do-well losers with a history of petty crime, for Allah.

More often than not, that fits the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

there are initaves and long term campaigns
    Which obviously don't work.
    And they won't work until their leaders don't start to appreciate the western values and teach that to their followers. Which is not going to happen anytime soon.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    If you were the traditional French nationalist arm of the country, what would you do right now? What can you do? Seems the country is too far gone, over run by middle eastern, African delinquents who are hellbent on mutilating their innocent citizens.

At least their police are armed. Many of them heavily so and their ability with firearms is a deterrent.

Imagine if down the line that craic starts here, there would be a massacre and 10 minutes and two lads showing up in a Ford Focus or i40.

There are roughly 14,000 Gardai in Ireland. Garda to population ratio is about 1 Garda for every 356 citizens.

About 450 are armed by my calculations but that’s just from pulling info on non Garda websites they don’t seem to publish that info, naturally.
    Not many

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do these loopers seek refugee status in countries that a quick Google search would tell them that it's a sh!te place for them to live based on their beliefs?

Why do these loopers seek refugee status in countries that a quick Google search would tell them that it's a sh!te place for them to live based on their beliefs?

Something or someone striking a nerve, playing on their fears, insecurities be it religion, a group of already established anti what we stand for people....

Plenty of mosques, halal shops and welfare benefits, how is that a shyte place? They can isolate themselves from the progressiveness of the europeans, no one seeks to bring diversity to them, no one tries to make them accept things that are not compatible with their religion, what's not to like? They can wear their religion, but we do stuff like this https://extra.ie/2017/12/23/news/irish-news/hospitals-remove-cribs-not-multifaith
    So yeah, Europe is a perfect place for them, yet still they do what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Tbh I think it's counterproductive for the French to keep doing these cartoons. Not because I think the feelings of headbangers who murder people should be spared.
    It's because mocking the religion needlessly insults ordinary muslims. I feel the same about those mocking Christians, which the media often does.

Of course people have a right and should have the right to do it, but that doesn't mean they should. I'm of this opinion despite not being a fluffy bunny, socially liberal type.

• Advertisement

Or maybe they should fly the cartoon next to the pride flag all over Paris, to desensitize them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The man who beheaded a teacher in a street in France waited outside the school and asked pupils to identify his target, anti-terrorism officials say.

The man then posted images on social media of dead victim Samuel Paty, 47, who had shown controversial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad to his students.

Details of the attack and investigation were given by the anti-terrorism state prosecutor, Jean-François Ricard.

He named the suspect as Abdoulakh A. - an 18-year-old man, born in Moscow of Chechen origin.

He came to France with refugee status as a boy and was unknown to anti-terrorism police.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54581827

How many refugees you walk past daily also have this potential?

Muhammed attacks are preventable, and they are someone's fault.

Cordell wrote: »
    Or maybe they should fly the cartoon next to the pride flag all over Paris, to desensitize them.

Jaysus :eek: that would be something to see.

Tbh, when European governments chose to go down the multicultural route they were very short sighted if they believed they'd end up with a melting pot. The French went for integration rather than multiculturalism but that doesn't seem to have worked in all cases.

People who immigrate do so for economic reasons not because they dont like the culture of their birth country. People of similar backgrounds form communities because people like the familiar. The fact that some citizens aren't fond of French secularism shouldn't have come as a shock to French politicians. Anyway, they will have to deal with it now because there's no turning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Mules wrote: »
    Tbh I think it's counterproductive for the French to keep doing these cartoons. Not because I think the feelings of headbangers who murder people should be spared.
    It's because mocking the religion needlessly insults ordinary muslims. I feel the same about those mocking Christians, which the media often does.

Of course people have a right and should have the right to do it, but that doesn't mean they should. I'm of this opinion despite not being a fluffy bunny, socially liberal type.

People should have the right to offend. Or show pictures of religious figures.
    I personally have no skin in the game on this Islamic cartoon issue, but what these acts do is scare people into being afraid to exercise their freedom to have an opinion. And scare jounalists into making editorial decisions based on fear. This is not right. It should never become the norm.

People should have the right to offend. Or show pictures of religious figures.
    I personally have no skin in the game on this Islamic cartoon issue but what these acts do do is scare people into being afraid to exercise their freedom to have an opinion. And scare jounalists into making editorial decisions based on fear. This is not right. It should never become the norm.

I absolutely agree that people should have the right to offend. That's why I'm very dubious of hate speech legislation. It's not because I have any intention of going around insulting people it's just that imo the law has no business arresting people if they say something unpleasant.

I just suppose as long as there are headbangers around it's a case of being aware that poking a sleeping bear can be dangerous.

The fact that some citizens aren't fond of French secularism shouldn't have come as a shock to French politicians. Anyway, they will have to deal with it now because there's no turning back.

Yeah, but dealing with it must mean trying to fight it rather than accommodate their ways.

I absolutely agree that people should have the right to offend. That's why I'm very dubious of hate speech legislation. I suppose as long as there are headbangers around it's a case of being aware that poking a sleeping bear can be dangerous.

Being afraid of "the sleeping bear" or headbangers is not a good enough reason to surrender our human rights or our rights to free speech.

Being afraid of "the sleeping bear" or headbangers is not a good enough reason to surrender our human rights or our rights to free speech.

I do agree with you there.

I suppose it just seems a bit unnecessary for teachers to be doing it in a class of 13 year olds. Like it seems a bit mean/ embarrassing to the muslim kids in the class. I think it's different than the media doing it. But then I'm not a teacher so what do I know.

Whatever the case, the poor teacher can't have expected anything like this to have happened. I wonder will these cultural differences ever be solvable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

France is in some mess :( you’d wonder what’s next for that country.

• Advertisement

I suppose it just seems a bit unnecessary for teachers to be doing it in a class of 13 year olds. Like it seems a bit mean/ embarrassing to the muslim kids in the class. I think it's different than the media doing it. But then im not a teacher so what do I know.

Thats your opinion, and the teacher had another opinion. That was his right. He died exercising his human rights.

France is in some mess :( you’d wonder what’s next for that country.

If I was French, I'd be mighty pissed off with the terrorism situation. I'd be wondering how did France end up with people so warped.

Thats your opinion, and the teacher had another opinion. That was his right. He died exercising his human rights.

You're right and it's completely unacceptable and barbaric

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

biko wrote: »
    n.

He came to France with refugee status as a boy and was unknown to anti-terrorism police.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54581827

I'm not sure strictly speaking this was a terrorist attack anyway. Which makes it even worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If I was French, I'd be mighty pissed off with the terrorism situation. I'd be wondering how did France end up with people so warped.

If I was French my question would be - how do we solve this huge issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

washman3 wrote: »
    Because the beheading on an innocent teacher is Global news, or at least should be. A missing dolphin in Dingle will hardly concern somebody in Toulon'
    Or likewise a serious road accident in Lyons would concern somebody in Clifden.
    RTE and the MMS in this country are a total disgrace.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1016/1172070-france-knife-attack/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1017/1172129-france-terror-attack/
    :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I suppose it just seems a bit unnecessary for teachers to be doing it in a class of 13 year olds. Like it seems a bit mean/ embarrassing to the muslim kids in the class. I think it's different than the media doing it. But then I'm not a teacher so what do I know.

Whatever the case, the poor teacher can't have expected anything like this to have happened. I wonder will these cultural differences ever be solvable?

He told the children beforehand that any Muslims who felt it would offend them were free to leave the room. That apparently wasn't enough for them - they didn't want anybody else to see the pictures either.

Criticising him for that is going way too far in accommodating their views IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭creeper1

If I was French my question would be - how do we solve this huge issue?

It's over for France, Sweden and western Europe in general. Becoming multicultural is an irreversible process. You cannot suddenly find you didn't like it after all and can Muslims leave please.

All European must support eastern Europe efforts to stay monocultural

You wouldn’t have to wonder...

Inviting into to your country... people with different values, different beliefs, different behaviors, different outlooks, different views on the value of human life and the very machinations of human life and who see no issues with trying to subvert your democracy the moment THEY see something you do that isn’t in keeping with their belief system, they turn to violence and murder...

Simply immigration is something that should be strictly managed. No government should be capable or willing to subvert the wellbeing of the state and the safety of its inhabitants just for some fûcking wokey buzz or EU failed policy “ ohh its 2020, we have to allow people come here “...

I HOPE I’m wrong but how long until this happens here ? I think within x years we’ll see something of a terrorist nature here.

All it takes is ONE. that said , now there are MANY, tens of thousands in fact.

• Advertisement

creeper1 wrote: »
    All European must support eastern Europe efforts to stay monocultural

In fairness, it's not much of an effort, as no one really wants to go there :)

Advertisement