Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah sure he was just making harmless observations.

Except he followed up with the "foreigners in our own country" line which I have never heard used in any way other than a racist one.

No one is gonna buy your waffle. Just like with Widdecombe, Rashford, old darts man, random Osmonde and whoever else I forgot

You're now comparing Tommy Robinson to Anne Widdecombe!?

How can anyone take that comparison seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nah, they are trying to maintain some strand of journalistic identity. SYL has no jounrnalist backgound (that I'm aware of) and he'd just turn his airtime into a thinly-veiled soapbox. If he even bothered with the veil.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I can.

Both peddling hate just in different ways

Some would say that the real peddlers of hate are those that hate on others who have the temerity of having a different opinion.

Ever hear of the paradox of tolerance? The reality is we shouldn't tolerate atrocious individuals, you can claim it's intolerant but why should bigots be normalised? That's what you want.

That's entirely subjective.

What you consider to be "bigoted", I may not. That dichotomy can exist on both sides of the political spectrum, too. You may consider Starkey an abhorrent racist, but I don't etc.

What you appear to be arguing is that you are the sole arbiter of "the Truth" of who should be cancelled and who should not be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nothing subjective about it, he's a racist end of story.

You have already tried this with other horrible people that Farage has entertained, you were wrong then and you're wrong now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

You expect these 'peddlers of hate' to reveal their hate, and be banned numerous times from internet discussion forums, needing to rereg under different personas. Yet then again, it might just be the racists, bigots and transphobes who are doing the actual hate peddling etc...

• Advertisement

No that's just plain BS.

How is disliking homophobia worse than being a homophobe.

All this is pointless really because you are so obsessed with this station you will say anything. Up would be down and black white if they told you to believe it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Quite easily I would have thought. Why not make a detailed argument on why one is better than the other instead of pretending to be outraged.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Many Muslims believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman. Many mainstream Muslims throughout Europe, including significant public figures, believe the same.

Do you believe they, too, should be labelled as "homophobes" and deleted from society?

I don't. But I'm curious as to know what you think.

I never asked for Widdecombe to be "deleted" or "cancelled" I just think she is a c#&%

I also think anyone who hates LGBTQ+ people for religion or any other reason is one too.

I'm not one of these made up "woke" people who is afraid to say Muslims are wrong about things

That's where you and I differ, then.

I have several Muslim friends. They are fully aware of my homosexuality. They believe in "traditional" marriage, whereas I do not.

That said, it simply remains a difference of opinion. They do not seek to impose their views upon me, and I do not seek to impose my views upon them. It's an amicable difference of opinion.

That's what's different here. The political right is non-emotional about these matters. We accept that people in society have differences of opinion, but we do not seek to literally hate everyone we have the slightest disagreement with.

No doubt, you will call my Muslim friends "homophobic", "bigoted", and "discriminatory" - worthy of all the coruscating scorn you can summon.

I just happen to have a difference of opinion with them. No anger or hate.

Just a difference of opinion. 🙂

You a re talking such horse $#1t as usual. Widdecombe does want to impose her beliefs on people as do many people from many religions.

If they can keep it to themselves then I've no problem but if they go banging on and on and on like Widdecombe who is political right or many others in the political right do with their homophobia then I have a major problem

That's not what you said.

I also think anyone who hates LGBTQ+ people for religion or any other reason is one too.

Clearly, you believe that anyone - regardless of whether it's militant Widdecombe or Muslim or orthodox Jew or Hindu - is a "c***" - to use your language.

You've just hated upon the entire world.

That's where the political right differs from the left.

We don't hate everyone because they have different views on homosexuality, trans, abortion, or whatever. And let's say that my friends became politicians and MPs / TDs. I wouldn't hate them either for following through on their beliefs when it came to legislation. That's what MPs and TDs are supposed to do, be honest with their values - not pretend to be anything other than that. It wouldn't bother me, simple as.

We accept that society is complex - and that people believe things for complex reasons, societal and historical and otherwise.

That's how the world works. The terribly simple narrative of the Good versus Evil belongs to youthful fairytale.

Society is complex. Respecting difference of opinion is a great thing, not a vice.

You are so obviously twisting things and talking such bull and spinning so much waffle it's not even fun to debate with you anymore.

Nothing you say has any credibility or reason behind it you will say anything that fits your agenda no matter how far from reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This is just laughable stuff. Have you forgotten what you have already posted in this thread? You know, like....your "thought experiment", that poll about UK Muslims and their views on homosexuality you kept banging on about, how people from certain areas of the world should be barred from entering this country because of the views they are bound to hold...but now... "some of my best friends are Muslim"...and "We accept that people in society have differences of opinion". Yeah, sure you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Just to interject, but in that case, can we say that there is little or no difference between David Irving and Jeremy Corbyn?

After all, they both peddle hate in their 'own' way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Diane Abbot, is she still knocking about the place? This interview always makes me laugh. Andrew Neill was gentle on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

This stuff defies all logic and reality. Apparently I could say whatever hateful stuff I want, and then claim it's only offensive to "the left" (which means anyone who disagrees with me) and complain that I'm being cancelled by something called "woke cancel culture". Can't you see I'm the victim, I'm so sorry you were offended. No need for personal responsibility, I can blame "the left".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're missing the last step, where you cultivate a very successful and public media profile, shouting how "cancelled" you are. Maybe throw in a book deal for extra visibility of your cancellation.

It's basically a bunch of dinosaurs railing against the idea that, gosh, you can't be an àsshole in public anymore without consequence. That tedious lesson failing to be learnt that freedom of speech doesn't protect you from others' freedom to sack you, or freeze you out.

I'll take things that never happened for $500 please Alex 🙄

Oh well, Eskimo also starting to cite all his Muslim friends. I'm actually amazed they haven't gone the route of saying they have loads of transgender friends that agree with their views....

• Advertisement

The two views are not inconsistent.

You can agree to disagree with a view, but you can also - from the level of the nation - establish that you do not want progress to reverse. The purpose of the thought experiment was to establish that if we were overrun with people with a certain ideology, then the progress we have made ceases to exist.

Day to day, though, we should be able to agree to disagree - amicably.

That is once again inconsistent, you've favoured the likes of Widdecomb trying to limit the rights of gay people. You frequently seem to want to reverse the rights of transgender people... Like you're pretty fine with being regressive in legislation. If the individuals get called out, you'd cry cancel culture.

I don't want to reverse the rights of transgender people. I want to stand up for women's rights.

Widdecombe was elected in full knowledge of her views, and acted accordingly. I don't agree with her views, but she has a right to express that view in parliament. She can be removed via democratic election if the electorate are dissatisfied with her policies / actions in parliament.

Yet you frequently rant about Muslims which are intent on reversing rights according to yourself. Meanwhile the average Muslim mp is far more progressive than you or Widdecomb. And yes, you do wish to regress the rights of transgender people under the guise of protecting women's rights.(this extreme obsession with taking jabs at transgender people, thankfully not really present in the Irish feminist movement) Surely you have some transgender friends that think you are spot on?

I've no problem having transgender friends - as long as they don't make demands that I subscribe to the view that they have literally changed biological sex. I could - under no conceivable circumstances whatsoever - be friends with a so-called 'non-binary' person. Never, ever, ever.

• Advertisement

And we're seriously back onto the transphobia soapbox yet again.

In fairness, that was my fault. Eskimo opposes people who wishes to regress rights but supports regressing rights at same time. :P

Seems that after Andrew Neil's dramatic escape from GB News, he may be set to return to the BBC!

ANDREW Neil could be set to return to the BBC after an underwhelming stint at GB News, according to reports.

Neil, the chairman of the right-wing political magazine The Spectator, held talks with BBC director-general Tim Davie about making a return, according to The Times.

The discussions followed Neil stepping down from GB News in inglorious fashion after a reported spat with the channel’s top brass over the direction it was being taken.

So you respect people's rights but only as long as you agree with them?

I dont agree with your views but my family fought in both world wars so people like you could have the freedom to hold those views,

I would also (while disagreeing with your views) fight for your right to hold and indeed voice those views.

IIfa biological male or female told me they were non binary, or identified as a horse or wanted surgery to change sex then my thoughts on that would be my own, I may or may not agree with thier choices but would have no issue with them holding those ideals.

It doesn't affect me or you in any way shape or form yet you believe you and others have the right to intrude into those peoples lives and stop them from being happy.

If someone came to me and demanded that I refer to them with pronouns, such as Zir / Zat, or something like that - or demanded I acknowledge the existence of astralgender; I would have to come to the conclusion that this person has far too much time on their hands, is probably somewhat narcissistic and demanding validation, and is probably so obsessed with forcing their pronouns onto others that they have nothing else to talk about. Yes, I couldn't be friends with a person like that. They can have their rights and they can enjoy their manufactured pronouns. I wish them well, and I hope the pursuit of pronouns makes them very happy and fulfilled throughout life.

I just don't have the time to put up with it. They can have their pronouns, I just want them to leave me out of it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

With all this excitement brought about by the return of the Eskimo , thought it would be useful to remind people that despite there being "a huge market" and "lots of people are turned off by the BBC" - Almost no-one is watching GBNews.

They have now dipped below a cumulative 500k views per week at an average of 24 seconds a visit.

In the grand scheme of things , they are an irrelevance that has caused nary a ripple in the UK Media landscape.

They could go on like that for years as long as someone is willing to fund them.

But they will never actually matter or have the slightest influence on Public discourse or opinion.

The thing is you'd equally get offended by being asked to use he/she/they. And that's just being disrespectful tbh. And the reality is you want to roll back their rights. You are regressive then complain about others being the wrong kind of regressive...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"leave me out of it". Such hubris. You are being left out of it, nobody is asking for your validation or agreement, just to get out of the way when those most victimised by events fight to gain basic recognition of their humanity. It's a simple question of personhood that doesn't need or demand the approval of those completely unaffected by change. You'd think someone who claims to be a letter in the LGBTQ acronym would understand that.

And that's speaking as someone who thinks "xyr" is an ungainly affront to linguistics in the first place. But it doesn't affect me so I have no right to stand in the way of other people's happiness or ability to live a happy, fulfilled life. Gender is messy and trying to acknowledge and accomodate a degree of empathy towards that is a good thing. No wonder depression and suicide is so much higher among the T when their very existence is to be questioned at best, legislated against at worst.

Then again, we're circling around a user who has a pretty awful view of people anyway, deeming them lazy workshy cretins. Given boilerplate humanity can't garner some empathy, what hope does the fringes?

How about instead you explain how they are the same seeing as that is what you are insinuating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Don't bother. It's just the usual shitposting.

• Advertisement

There's a very good reason why anti-Semitism spiked under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour Party.

Anti-Jewish racism and far-left politics go hand in glove.

Jesus Christ. Who can penetrate such ludicrous reasoning as the above.

Who stormed the US Capitol waving Swastikas in January? Hint: It wasn't the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL "both sides".

🤣

And when all else fails trot out both sides. The US right are openly glorifying Nazism but at some point, Jeremy Corbyn said something anti-Semitic but you don't know what but Guido Fawkes reported it so it must be true.

This thread as crude visual metaphor? Ohhhh I dunno ...

I'm surprised we haven't heard about classic liberalism yet:

Good thing is apparently "my side" (left) are winning by a landslide because FF, FG all the "MSM" and every major political party in Europe are left wing 😂🤣

• Advertisement

By and large, the majority of working people are common sense conservatives; not opposed to progress, but who realise a line must be drawn in the sand somewhere. It cannot be a la carte, deconstructionism from here on out. Boundaries are and have been crossed.

A recent poll by GB News asked this very question - and the results are there for all to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement