Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why are you so wedded to this myth that you keep on propagandising?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He's like a Trump supporter, the more you show him how horrible his hero is the more he will defend him. The alternative is to admit they were wrong and they don't possess the humility to do that so they just double down every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's like there's been a very recent but abject decay of intellectual though on the right. It's taken root over the past 5-10 years. I remember "PC gone mad" and getting offended being the start and, initially, I had sympathy for the centre-right which seemed to be a bit more sensible. I remember the Guardian making up words like "misogynoir" and beginning articles with "Let's be honest, men are terrible people".

Then, conservatism and the right just collapsed intellectually, aping that which they'd previously ridiculed and derided. There was no more argument or debate, just slogans to poison discussion like "loony metropolitan elite" and inane wailing about cancel culture. There's no intellect anymore, just this deep-seated insecurity based on the fact that conservatism is a pretty stupid idea unless you're inside the tent. The trick was to convince enough people that they were but without the intellectual self-examination that process has collapsed. Ageing white people like myself are supposed to have flipped to voting Tory by now but it makes no sense for me to vote for common sense conservatives who poison the countryside, inflame race relations, foment a gaping chasm of inequality and inflict a needless economic shock on the country they purport to love because it'll save a few vested interests some tax.

To be fair, there are elements of this on the left, particularly the toxic following around Jeremy Corbyn but it's so much more pronounced on the right. So much so that they need at least one special news channel with no dissent permitted along with their various newspapers and social media echo chambers.

With all this in mind, the hero worship isn't all that surprised. What Farage exists to do is to do the dirty work of his paymasters via coddling his base. That's all it is, base reassurance that their base prejudices are just and right and the mean old left is just angry and frustrated that you won't vote for them. There's no debate, no rigour, and barely any thought whatsoever. It's the same with Trump in the US. That's all they are and the second the bases don't get their constant need for vindication satisfied, they'll turn on these people like that. Until then, reality is second to perception and insecurities.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

EU allows for free movement of workers.

You don't have an absolute right to park yourself up in another member state and start living off their welfare.

That neither the UK nor Ireland chose to remove people doing this doesn't mean that such a right exists or existed.

Scrap the cap!

Seems like psychological projection to me.

The dismissiveness and dogmatism you ascribe to others may actually be a reflection of your own dismissal and dogmatism you regard to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I wonder does Farage still sing the Nazi songs he used to in school? Fair play to him for investing so much effort in that, it's not like you could look them up on the web in those days. This was clearly something he was very determined to do.

For some reason.

Nasty Nicola Sturgeon having a dig at GB News at the press conference ahead of COP26 in Glasgow.

GB News journalist Ryan Capperauld compared COP26 to the G7 summit in Cornwall, noting that after the summit Cornwall saw its number of Covid cases rise dramatically.

He asked the FM how concerned she was that Glasgow could suffer the same fate.

Sturgeon replied: “If people do all the right things as people in Scotland, by and large, have been doing for almost two years now, if people comply with all the mitigations like face coverings, hand hygiene, vaccination, showing, where appropriate, proof of testing in the blue zone, more generally across the city proof of vaccine where required, then we can host a safe event.

“Covid always poses a risk. But I would take the opportunity to ask people again to do all of these things.”

Appearing to hold back laughter, Sturgeon continued: “And I hope we'll hear GB News supporting us and encouraging everybody to wear the face coverings and get vaccinated and show their vaccine passports when required over the course of the next couple of weeks.”

As usual, all Sturgeon does is attack with smugness and sarcasm. Maybe she should look into her disastrous performance on healthcare in Scotland before turning her tanks on GB News.

You have lied and defended a racist time after time after time, can you show that poster showing the same disdain for others intelligence the way you have?

Are you saying GB "news" shouldn't be encouraging face mask wearing and vaccination? Is your hero farage against these things?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you believe all guests on GB News are racist. There's no arguing with an argument that dismisses everyone by virtue of the channel on which they appear.

GB News is an anti-racist channel and, judging from the number of black presenters, is one of the most diverse channels, too.

And may I add that GB News is the only channel in the UK that is against neo-racism.

• Advertisement

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but you believe all guests on GB News are racist."

You are wrong, but you cannot (well you probably can) deny that farage (not GB "news" as a whole) has had a LOT of racists on his program.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A high number of Farages guests are racists or are very guilty of very racist ramblings. That's a fact.

GB news like old fashioned racism though, hence why they have all these throwbacks on.

2 black presenters? That means they're antiracist? Great. Sky have more, and quite a few BAME on air presenters, as do ITV and BBC who have a whole radio station dedicated to their Asian audience.

Get a grip, and just stop.

So, you can't actually compose a meaningful response so we get this nonsense.

I wouldn't worry. The viewer is probably too busy to go to Glasgow anyway. I doubt it'll make a difference.

Should you make an anti-racist gesture though, this channel will immediately fire you. Because they are opposed to cancel culture.

It's a very significant response. Projection exists - and it exists in your lengthy post.

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings.

This exists in politics, too.

In your post, the negative features you try to attach to conservatism are the very principles you display against conservatives to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So Nicola Sturgeon is "nasty" because you don't like what she had to say about precious little channel. And the irony of a nasty Nigel fan calling anyone else smug. I'm assuming it's ok to call him nasty too? After all, there's more evidence that he's a nastier prick than Sturgeon is and ever will be.

You just described someone as nasty because she expressed a hope that GB News might espouse some common sense. She didn't even add "for once". One of us is indeed projecting and it isn't me.

Well, David Starkey once referred to how the SNP "...modelled itself on the extreme nationalist parties of the 1930s", so at least he would argue (perhaps?) that both of those epithets hold true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, you see, what Nicola Sturgeon meant to say was “And I hope we'll hear GB News supporting us and encouraging everybody to wear the face coverings and get vaccinated and show their vaccine passports when required over the course of the next couple of weeks.”

Oh, wait, that's what she did say...

I was thinking of the guy known to sing Nazi songs in his youth. As I said, admirable dedication to...something...given that they weren't exactly Googleable at the time. A lot of effort there.

If you're going to give birth to such an extreme allegation, you'd want to harvest some evidence - just some evidence.

Sure. Once you answer all of my previous requests. All of them.

So, just to summarise - you have called David Starkey a "white supremacist"; perhaps a libellous accusation; and have done so without a shred of evidence.

Not. one. source.

And the only reason you're withholding said "evidence", because presumably there is a rich cannon of evidence available (?), is because you want a specific user to answer some "previous requests".

Everyone else is held hostage to this information...

Hmm...

You have not answered a single one of my requests for evidence. Not a single one so there's no reason for me to bother. Everyone here knows what a repulsive wretch Starkey is but since GB News dug him out of Britain's cultural sewer you're invoking him as if he has some kind of authority.

If Sturgeon's catching flak from the the gutter, she's probably doing something right.

You didn't say that Starkey was a repulsive wretch. You said that Starkey was a "white supremacist".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The fawning is going into overdrive if a little dig from Sturgeon about GB News' CoVid irresponsible is enough to cause paroxysms of outrage from our resident Farage Fluffer. Of course, she's "nasty". Uh huh. Think we all see the subtext there.

I will amend my previous caution over admiring politicians, to say Nicola Sturgeon is the closest I come to outright support and fandom. She seems canny and pragmatic, with enough compassion to invoke (AFAIK) great ideas like free female sanitary products in public buildings. But, she is a politician and her conduct with the Alex Salmons court case wasn't great and showed that when the chips are done, politicians politik.

• Advertisement

And simultaneously provided no evidence for either. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The two are not mutually exclusive. a person can be both. and starkey is.

You'd only ignore it anyway as you've done several times.

That's just an excuse. You don't have a skelf of evidence to demonstrate that Starkey is a "white supremacist".

Nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

• Advertisement

Just like your repeated claim that GB News is doing spectacularly well or that Marcus Rashford is as vile as Jimmy Saville only at least Starkey's history of being a white supremacist is well known.

So again, you have chosen to deny the rest of the population the evidence that Starkey is a "white supremacist".

These games are predictable. Very predictable indeed.

What an odious little Nazi turd he is. "If it was genocide, there wouldn't be so many damn blacks".

Well we could easily imagine Farage saying that. And we know Farage is not a racist or anything (because EH told us). Ergo Starkey is not a racist.

QED.

• Advertisement

As expected, you've ignored it. Even Piers Morgan sees him as the grotty little creature that he is. Piers Morgan ffs.

No evidence for the accusation that Starkey is a "white supremacist". Nothing. A total and utter fail of biblical proportions.

Plenty but you've ignored it. I'll check in when this gets back to GB News and away from whatever white supremacist scum you're defending.

It wasn't one comment. Staff and students made formal complaints about him in 2015 for repeatedly making racist remarks.

In 2011 he was described the london Riots in some typically Tory, racist terms.

He's an eminent historian, but one who has written from a typically British and colonial perspectives.

He got pissy a decade ago because people were interested in taking deeper studies in Henry VIIIs wives and researching and writing about them and in a typically old fashioned way put it down to feminism gone mad

Only if you choose to reject it with a pre-existing bias that Starkey is somehow always guilty of the worse offense, no matter what - ever.

And you are the very last poster who can claim anything to be libellous.

Still waiting for your apology for your vile comments about Marcus Rashford

Come on now. Finally admit you were wrong. You keep ignoring it which is worse nearly than your originally scumbag accusations

He's been at it for years. Harper Collins cancelled their deal with him according to that Mirror piece because he's so toxic.

As an aside, Henry VIII's wives are absolutely worth reading about. Catherine of Aragon even led Englishmen into battle and led the campaign that resulted in the death of James IV of Scotland while Henry VIII was in France. Thankfully, I knew about Starkey's vile views when I was buying books about the period. Plenty of Tudor historians aren't genocide and slavery apologists. I tried to watch the video of him and Farage and it's the most tedious, sycophantic drivel I've ever watched. I got about a minute in.

Formal complaints from who? Why accept the legitimacy without giving us research / evidence on their claims?

As for the 2011 riots, that is false; he merely argued that cultural factors - such as typical rap glorifying violence - was a motivating factor.

As for his perspective on history, that's a matter for academia to work through and argue based on evidence - and not to dismiss him on some categorical basis that it was from a so-called "colonial perspective".

As for Henry VIIIs wives, I'm really unsure how that makes him a "white supremacist", even if the accusation is completely true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement