Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, if they're not watching his show then this is the only logical course.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm not too concerned if GB News goes down the pan. Partly because of my optimism with Murdoch's new channel, with Piers Morgan.

I think Murdoch, for all his faults, will do justice to whatever station he has planned; what you might call GB News Mark II.

So, even if the sword of Damocles falls onto and severs GB News - at least something will take its place.

But at this point, we don't know if that will happen. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. In either scenario, either as a competitor to Murdoch or Murdoch killing off GB News to grow his own version of the channel, things aren't that bad from my side of the equation.

In a shocking twist, Eskimo running away from the fact that his supposedly controversial Farage garb is something that nobody ever cared that much about...

I disagree.

That garb winds up the woke Left, because they see this as a caricature of the past; some form of nostalgic politics that Farage literally wears.

I don't think it's a small issue at all.

Take a look with other politicians - such as Angela Merkel etc. The look and interpretation of that fashion is taken into consideration.

The same is true with Farage, which is why many on the left of politics appear to be irked by his presentation during the Brexit referendum / and before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd be able to find some decent examples if that was the case, not some googled scraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one cares about his silly coat or the clothes he wears NO ONE! It's all in your head 🤣

Show a single article where someone is (as you describe) "wound up".

I gave some examples re: mainstream media.

But I can't give examples for every left-wing person. That's based on personal experience and the caricature of Farage they attempt to draw.

Ah yes, the old "personal experience/anecdotal evidence" that's impossible to prove line 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You didn't. You moved the goalposts. Apparently, analysis equals outrage because you seem to be just that desperate. Farage is, and always has been irrelevant. The proof is in the fact, shown repeatedly by @Quin_Dub that almost nobody is watching his show.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The really important question for me is

Who wore it better?

• Advertisement

You may mock, but you can't deny it's a good look - especially for public appearances.

It really isn't, he looks like a full on twàt, maybe that's a look that you aspire to have one day but for 99.99% of people, they wouldn't be seen dead in that ridiculous garb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Things were a lot more clear cut when they wore uniforms. But you never know, the US have gone back to it with all their tacticool gear. Britain seems to have resisted it beyond a bit of flag waving. They're not marching the streets in matching shirts yet.

Except you haven't been able to produce the annoyance. Like have you just invented in your head and think he's sticking it to the left? Meanwhile nobody cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a coat. The only time it's a good look is when it's cold outside.

Nobody cares about the coat, certainly not to any degree worth repeatedly bringing up. You're clearly the only one here who has any strong opinion about the coat one way or the other.

The only coat that's ever been worth discussing in relation to GB News was Andrew Neil grabbing his on the way out the door after two weeks because of the sh*tshow the channel was quickly becoming.

So absolutely no evidence then. Made up premise with no evidence - wasting everyone's time.

Are we ever going to get even Junior Cert debating team argument quality from you?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You're still lying. Stop lying. Stop **** posting. You're wasting everyone's time.

One major newspaper even did an article on why they write about what policiticans wear and why they Analyse it and how they try to interpret it.

Farages coat is not unique and noone gives a **** about it beyond being pass remarkable about how they think he looks same as they think BoJo looks scruffy or Corbyn silly in his big hat.

You've moxlved the goalspost again, and not addressed it. You've gone down the , maybe you can Google it, when you evidently can't unless it really, really suits you.

So stop. I know you've already had a warning for your **** posting, so do us all a favour

There's a serious whiff of "Look at me! Look at me!" off of these posts. Like, not one single claim meaningfully backed up, expects evidence from everyone else and ignores anything that doesn't suit the confirmation bias. In a thread about a failed new channel, I suppose it makes sense. Ditto with Farage. He was always irrelevant but for some reason, the media here promoted him heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

EH must own the same coat. Would be the only real explanation as to why he admires it so when everyone else thinks it's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh for fúcks sake; we're back to the cultural coat again?

It's so weird someone would invent outrage over a piece of clothing - all for the sake of the continuance of their obvious infatuation for ... Nigel Farage??. It's bizarre: he's not good looking; not eloquent; not charming; not especially successful by any fair metric; just some random hyper-nationalist filling his own pockets off the back of some tepid sense of English exceptionalism; something that hasn't existed since the Suez Crisis. Which would be appropriate I guess for those in ... Denial about what table the UK sits at these days.

In any case: that coat just reminds me of Minder, for anyone here old enough to remember that particular TV show. I'm not outraged about it, cos only an idiot would huff and puff over a piece of clothing. Like only an idiot would fawn over it like it was sewn by the gods themselves.

• Advertisement

Ah Minder, knew it reminded me of something. Another conman, quite fitting.

Farage and Arfur Daley do have a lot in common though, both would lie through thier teeth to make a few quid and get a deal done.

Maybe if Eskimo opens a thread in the fashion form, he'll get the outrage he's searching for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is a mediocre coat that doesn't fit him very well. He also has the bottom button closed which marks him out as a throbber of the highest order. and the less said about the hat with the ridiculously high crown the better.

EH will defelect to this every time its mentioned about how shìt his beloved TV (snigger) Station is doing.

I see his latest tactic is the old "well I don't care if it fails (after religiously defending it for a year) because Murdoch might have a new channel soon and that will be even more racist than GBeebies so there!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed - The only "cultural" references to a fairly typical bog standard crombie coat in the last 50 years are these guys

Two Cockney wide boys known for having a tenuous grip on truth and honesty.

Hmmm...

I think Murdoch's new channel is a gamechanger because, if not for that, we had to go all in with GB News.

I just hope the bent of the channel is in alignment with GB News on the broad stroke of things.

And the cultural references before that were to dodgy rich guys who made and kept themselves by screwing over everyone below them

WTF are you talking about? You make crass generalisations about "the left" like that all the time. Nearly every second post by you contains some form of extreme generalisation, as you put it. You were taken to task on this hypocrisy back in August when you claimed that not everyone on the political right thinks the same, while claiming everyone on the left does.

You are a spoofer of the highest order.

• Advertisement

This is all in? No viewers and various specimens of human excrement from yesteryear wheeled out in desperate bids to troll people who don't watch the channel?

Wow. I'm curious what a crack-handed approach would have looked like.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Murdochs channel isn't a "game changer" for anything , certainly not for GB News , which has been failing without anyone elses help since the day it launched.

The "bent" of the channel won't be anything like GB News I'm afraid because if it was it would fail just as GB News is right now.

It's not going to bear the slightest resemblance to GB News , in fact it will on the surface look just like Sky News and BBC News etc.

It will be a standard issue News channel with a Tory leaning , but that Tory leaning will be done subtly and with actual editorial ability and not the Pantomime rubber hammer approach that GB News take to their broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they were at least honest on occasion and lacked malice. not something you could say about farage

This is it. You can't really be successful in business by creating carbon copies of failed businesses and that's what GB News is at the end of the day despite the "We were always at war with Eastasia" shtick being peddled here constantly.

Neither of us know exactly what the channel will entail.

But judging from actual and expected hires / wish list, I think we can see where it is likely headed.

Piers Morgan

Jeremy Clarkson

Nick Ferrari

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Murdoch tries to nab Nigel Farage from GB News.

Mr Murdoch is ready to offer “big money” to secure proven TV talent to join Morgan at the station, which has ambitions to challenge BBC and Sky, as well as sounding the death-knell for GB News.

Karren Brady and Julia Hartley-Brewer are set to be prominent faces on talkTV along with Jeremy Kyle, returning to the airwaves as a talkRADIO presenter after his controversial ITV series was axed, and Rob Rinder.

In other words, we are definitely seeing a conservative bent and a grounded alignment with GB News on core values.

Hmm, I wonder if Andrew Neil will join!?

• Advertisement

None of these people are talent. I'll concede that Morgan is popular but overall, it's just usual crowd of bejowelled old racists, a few younger ones and a Karren.

Murdoch won't touch Farage with a barge pole - He might have him as a guest every now and again, but Farage is not "Proven TV Talent" in any way shape or form.

Piers Morgan and Clarkson? He'll get one of them not both , probably Morgan.

Clarkson isn't a "news" guy and won't go there - He's already making plenty of money from Amazon.

Ferrari already works for Murdoch so him doing a few TV shows or even a Live Broadcast of his Radio show type of thing is probably a reasonable possibility.

However , this mythical alignment you think there is between GB News and Murdoch just isn't there.

Yes , Murdochs channel will be "right-leaning" just like his newspapers , but that's where the comparisons will end.

It's like saying that your Sunday morning kick-about team "Share DNA" with Manchester City because they both notionally play the same sport.

One is a properly run professional outfit playing a particular brand of soccer that will be attractive to a decent slice of the population, the other are a bunch of unfit nobodies who spend more time hacking the shins off each other than actually playing anything remotely like soccer and who can barely convince their own families to come and watch them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As has been pointed out repeatedly, 99% of Morgan's output isn't the great anti-woke crusade some would have you believe; he's a puff-piece peddler, who every now and again comes out with something tailor-made for social media viral status. And even then; if his show doesn't come with a "straight man" ala Good Morning Britain who can add the important shocked riposte of "gosh PIers, you can't say that!", it'll just be a toothless non-entity of a show. I suppose people might tune in to see if he's still bitter over being ghosted by Megan Markle, but can't see that much of a business model.

I presume that if we're discussing the Murdoch channel then we're agreed that GB News is the failure that it clearly is, yes?

Jermaine Jenas is also being targeted for TalkTV - who is of mixed Afro-Caribbean descent.

So, no need for any accusations of racism against this nascent channel.

• Advertisement

So the presenters may be

Piers Morgan (RACIST)

Jeremy clarkson (RACIST)

Nick Ferrari (RACIST)

Julia Hartley Brewer (whoever the fùck she is, RACIST APOLOGIST)

Anyone else seeing a pattern? No wonder EH is excited about this new channel if it ever gets off the ground.

Hartley Brewer is just another odious, paid contrarian like Farage.

They might get Jeremy Kyle yet given it seems to be appointees from the TalkRadio stable and sister stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

'If they're not left wing like me they're racist'

Remember that TalkTV is, first and foremost, just a videoed version of Talk Radio which already exists. Many of those presenters are already there. It is going to be a low cost operation (the studios, staff, cameras etc are already there) and it will be sticking to the format they already have of a right wing service but without going to the lunatic fringe. So no Farage, when GB News fails and he goes looking for more media work.

But I'm not "left wing" also a 30 second Google search for each of them.will show you that they are indeed racists who have made racist comments but hey, if that's too hard for you kiddo then feel free to live in your bubble, it won't bother me one iota.

"Piers Morgan and Clarkson? He'll get one of them not both , probably Morgan."

Clarkson and Morgan hate each other, Clarkson even punched Morgan.

""He was seated in the row behind me, droning on about his brilliance, so as we began our descent into London, and an inevitable encounter with the waiting bank of television cameras, I turned round and emptied a glass of water into his crotch," Jeremy told The Sunday Times in 2014."

“'Look,' I said to journalists as we walked down the the aircraft steps, 'the idiot’s wet himself.'"

"He continued: "My wife thought otherwise. And at the British Press awards gave him one of her hard stares from across the room. 'Why’s your f***ing wife looking at me like that?' he thundered. So I punched him. And then I punched him again."

While the feud is over I don't see Clarkson working with Morgan, as alluded above he makes plenty of money from Amazon (not that he needs it) and I can't see him to committing to a regular show on whatever toilet channel Murdoch throws out.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

OK give me another go then:

'if I don't like them they're racist'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement