Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many of those on the receiving end of cancel culture are genuine racists and bigots though. People like JK Rowling and Stock would be much more of a minority (i.e. they themselves have no time for the racists and bigots but have run into problems on some very specific issue).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - bring the thread back on topic please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So one person in one University?

Search for teachers being disciplined, reassigned or fired for having BLM symbols in their classroom and you'll find examples from schools in Texas, Florida, North Carolina and probably more.

You can teachers fired for announcing they were atheists.

Go to YouTube and you'll find video after video of people threatening school board members for having the audacity to suggest wearing masks to keep people safe.

Or as already pointed out, schools all over the southern states of the US cancelling the teaching of Martin Luther King and in Texas, cancelling the requirement to teach that the KKK is morally wrong.

On another thread here, you yourself are advocating the cancelling of peoples citizenship if they were granted it and then committed a crime.

But, in your view, the utterly evil human beings are those who stand up for themselves against someone who challenges their existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've never denied it's existence, I'm just not pretending to be ignorant as to how it is actually utilized to impact society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sorry but this is entirely and wilfully, either deliberately or lazily, disingenuous. If the objections to her were based simply on her belief that "biological sex exists", then we should expect a similar clear out of 100s, even 1000s, of academics across the country. The initial anger towards her was based on several factors, including her trusteeship of the LGB Alliance, which many allege to have an anti trans agenda, and her co signatory of the wdhr which her opponents claim calls for the denial of trans rights. By all means stand up for Kathleen Stock and refute the charges against her, but if you reduce the argument to such a gross and inaccurate over simplification, then i simply cannot accept your opinion in good faith.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Let's not forget an entire state was barred from teaching critical race theory this week, even though there was no plan to actually put on any curriculum anyway. Preemptive cancellation there

Cancel culture is wrong - whether it comes from the right of the past or the left of today.

Our side of the argument is consistent: we don't like it, wherever it comes from.

Do you think all boycotting is wrong? Do you propose banning of organised boycotts? Consumers are free to voice their displeasure over the behaviour of people associated with a brand, company etc. Becoming a public figure and saying controversial things doesn't give you a protected status...

People can choose to boycott, if they so choose.

Take an actor, for example. If an individual intensely dislikes that actor for something they've said, they can voluntarily choose to boycott all movies in which they appear. That's healthy and fine.

What's not acceptable is for that individual to deliberately get that actor ostracised and removed from professional and social circles, forcing the rest of us not to hear or experience that actor again.

Yet you spent weeks trying to vilify Marcus Rashford. It's from the same school of braindead thought

• Advertisement

I've never argued that Marcus Rashford, or any other professional footballer, should be censored and ostracised from society (i.e. cancellation).

But you made an argument that they were essentially a fraud and you went to great lengths to mark down their good name for no good reason other than you're a complete and utter hypocrite.

Oh cancel culture is bad. But being a peddlar of misinformation and hate isn't? Get a **** grip on reality.

Still waiting on that apology. You've several times accused people of libel, but you're the only one who's actually made any remotely libellous claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

That is what naturally happens with a boycott. If enough people avoid that actor or a studio feels a lot of people avoid an actor then that actor will no longer get hired and no one will be able to watch him. You say you are happy with boycotts but are unhappy with the effects of it.

You are free to watch whatever actor on dvd etc. but you they won't be shown if they don't make enough money.

Jk has not been cancelled. She is doing whatever she was doing before. All that has changed is that less people like her and anything attached to her name will make less money because less people want to buy her stuff now. Her books etc. are all still available to buy and she is very much on the face of the planet. Chapelle is being cancelled apparently with a massive show out at the moment, easy to watch him. Again not wiped off the planet.

Over the past couple of months, I've argued on here that GB News was pivoting to the digital realm as opposed to considering itself a traditional TV channel. As expected, my remarks were shot down with the usual, if somewhat predictable, set of rebuttals. I've also argued that GB News is more than just "anti-Woke"; that this is nothing more than a dismissive and simplistic slogan. And, even though I've argued that GB News will not expire anytime soon - we've heard the usual groans from the usual suspects about how GB News was a dead channel walking, with perhaps just a couple of months breathing room left.

Only two weeks ago, GB News boss - Angelos Frangopoulos - sat down with The Telegraph to pretty much verify every single point I've been arguing. Every last one.

Here are some salient excerpts from the interview.

"The reason why this technology is important is because this is not a TV station," Frangopoulos says. "This is a modern media business that has digital at the heart and soul of everything that it is. GB News is a digital business with a TV channel attached to it. 

That's why we are able to pivot and launch things like a radio station or super-serve audiences across different digital platforms from Youtube to TikTok."

Nigel Farage's prime time show - Farage - is among the channel's most successful ventures, beating Sky News and the BBC News on Wednesday last week with 179,600 viewers.

Meanwhile, the ground is also being prepared for a huge marketing blitz outside of the M25 in an attempt to draw more viewers in the regions. 

He settles on TalkRadio, the radio station owned by Rupert Murdoch, from which GB News has poached a number of presenters. He points to the 275,000 subscribers TalkRadio has amassed on the video-sharing service since 2016. GB News, meanwhile, has pulled in the same amount over the past four months. The channel also has 170,000 subscribers on TikTok, the youthful video scrolling app. 

While he says the TV audience data helps shape decisions of what shows work and what doesn't, it is the digital data that has proved "really compelling".

"When you start a new company, you launch on a set of assumptions, but the wonderful thing about a business like ours is you can pivot really fast. The success we have had on digital has really exceeded our expectations."

Turning those growth numbers into sustainable income is the ultimate goal, a task made easier now the advertising industry is bouncing back strongly from the pandemic.

Frangopoulos wants to turn a profit "sooner rather than later" but says he has years before its financial runway has run out

So, not only have my conclusions shown to be true, but that GB News - far from expiring - is set to grow further, with ambitious plans over the coming years.

As Frangopoulos says in the piece, they have "years of financial runway" left due to their low-cost business model compared to mainstream channels.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You really don't understand how this works at all do you.

"People can choose to boycott , if they so choose" you say - Which means less (maybe a lot less) revenue for the subject of the boycott.

Said subject then takes action to address to reasons for the boycott.

In your scenario , people boycott an actor for something they said/did leading to a drop in revenue for the Movie Studio or TV Channel. They might do it silently , equally they might choose to tell people - "I'm no longer watching TV Show X because John Q Actor did/said something I find unacceptable"

In order to restore their revenue streams the Studio/TV Station decide that the actor is now not worth the hassle so they drop them from the TV Show or no longer pick them for the next movie.

That is EXACTLY what happens in all these "cancel culture" incidents that you rail against.

So , explain how an old fashioned "boycott" is acceptable but this new fangled "Cancel Culture" thing isn't.

While you are at it explain how they are different in your mind?

JK has just published a new kids book too so she's definitely not cancelled, and has another movie in the works.

JK is not a man, yet she uses a male pseudonym for her crime fiction books? Should she be banned from doing so, if she wants to get into gender discussions?

Except the reality is, organisations don't want to associate with figures if they've been publicly drawing them into disrepute. And protests can be in the form of boycotts, petitions etc. These are all valid forms of freedom of expression. You are equally free to write in support of her.... This is a healthy form of protest that people are entitled to engage in.

To use your actor analogy. Mel Gibson famously got drunk and said a load of antisemitic stuff. By your logic, he's been cancelled as his career is almost non existent as a result. The reality is, he became a toxic brand as a result of his behavior and a lot of people simply weren't willing to work with him. By your logic, he was cancelled.

Gina Carano of the Mandalorian engaged in a load of transphobia and lost her job, that cancel culture too? There was a public outcry over her comments but realistically, plenty of people simply didn't want to work with her. Eg Pedro Pascal's sister is trans so I can't imagine he wants to work with her after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And regarding Mel Gibson, he's been booked to star in a TV show based in the John Wicj universe.

So... not cancelled.

Beat the BBC news channel, which is typically just running rolling news at that time or something niche like click etc,

millions watch BBC news everyday. Farage does not get more views than BBC news whatever way you try to spin it.

And there's the hundreds of millions of iPlayer streams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Some people here should watch GBNews because if they did they wouldn't be so blatantly ignorant on the trans issues, or LGB Alliance, as is clearly the case judging by some of the previous comments.

• Advertisement

Of all the points that was in that post, your sole focus appears to be on the least significant point.

Your points tend to be insignificant in fairness.

He's comparing apples with orangutangs. TalkRadio group hasn't been trying to pull in digital subscribers on it's platform for years. It's a sideline to it's actual successful broadcast arm.

GB news is desperately clinging onto to some notion it has relevance when it's just another meaningless channel out there with piss all people actually watching.

More empty dismissal.

Being in the majority populist view on this thread doesn't make one right.

The GB News boss has clearly stated the long-term business plan. It's not unusual for a business to make losses in Year 1 and Year 2, to eventually turn a profit in Year 3. It's pretty standard, in fact.

Frangopoulos has also reaffirmed that there is plenty of financial mileage to run for at least a couple of years.

GB News is here to stay, no matter how populist the alternative view happens to be on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I think everyone knows that LGB Alliance are an anti-trans group and have very little to say on other issues gay people face. They sometimes make a half hearted effort to discuss topics relevant to gay people to cover ok that all they care about are trans issues but they're fooling nobody.

As for Kathleen Stock (mentioned earlier) she is a massive hypocrite. She criticises the notions of uni students saying they "feel unsafe" saying that their feelings are.jot reality yet she left her uni not because she was fired but because she felt unsupported. Couldn't make this stuff up.

You may be unaware of the death threats she has recieved.

That aside, at least GB News is acknowledging the plight she and other abused academics have recieved. I wish it were more present on mainstream media, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Boss of company says company is doing great.

How could it be anything except the truth lads 😂

Deliberately disingenuous interpretation of his extensive remarks across a wide range of topics - including things that should have gone better.

Arrant hyperbole.

Nothing more than that; a populist appeal for post Thanks.

She did not say she felt unsafe due to death threats. She said she felt unsupported by the university and her union. She had already returned to campus so I don't think the death threats were credible or factoring into her decision.

Death threats should always be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

Well you can discuss that with Kathleen Stock.

As she never said that was part of her decision to resign and instead said she "felt unsupported" by her University and union then it's completely irrelevant to my point.

Historically, The right wing nuts don't send threats, they just shoot or stab on sight.

So rather than condemn the death threats against her, you use this as a cheap opportunity to have some bizarre, irrelevant tangential dig at "right-wing nuts"?

GB News and its staff should be proud of themselves for defending her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You mean the organisation that had as speakers and honoured guests at its recent inaugural annual conference one Graham Linehan, no introduction required, and labour mp Rosie Duffield whose "friend" [her own description] and regular social media correspondent Kurtis Tripp recently taunted a trans person by suggesting their suicide would be funny. Transphobic? Sure, GB News says it isn't so i suppose that's that.

Elsewhere, I am laughing derisively at the suggestion Kathleen Stock isnt getting enough mainstream media attention. She's been frickin everywhere, long interviews on the bbc, articles in the telegraph and mail, as well as all the usual other outlets, relentlessly pressing her case for several weeks now. You know who isn't even a fraction of that platform to help educate and inform the public? Trans activists and communities, that's who.

I can do both. Howrver, I don't have to do it for you here.

I think she's a an absute hypocrite though and you seem to think that only gb news are highlighting the issues that she and others either side are facing, but they're not but they're one of the few who are ultimately doing it to double down on some crusade against wokeness because they think they should be afraid of being called out for their general dipshittiness

So rather than address why people would be so appalled by often inflammatory and misguided remarks (such as your vile ones re Rashford) it's just shout down and play the victim loud enough.

The people who are being cancelled and acting so offended are the sometimes other side of the same coin as they are actively seeking to cancel out someone else's views for nor reason other than they like the status quo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Fighting against trans ideology is in itself, if they did nothing else whatsoever, to the benefit of gay people particularly, as anyone who isn't clueless on this topic will know. That aspect of this has been discussed many times on other threads so you know full well what I'm referring to. If LGBA are just an 'anti-trans' group as you say - they why would it be posing as a gay advocacy group and not just a general anti-trans group? Some sort of cover maybe? Gay people have legitimate concerns in this issue and again you know that full well. You come in here saying they are an anti-trans group when in fact if anything they are an anti-trans ideology group which is not what everyone knows full well but is the actual truth of it.

As for your comment on Stock, you are telling me that a woman who was subjected to "reputation-trashing" (classic cancel culture ) and bullied by her work colleges is somehow in the same league as student's "feeling unsafe", because of Stock simply expressing a view, which I might add the vast majority of the public agree with. Oh your are quite skilled at making things up, as are the trans revisionists that claim that trans people started the gay right movement in an attempt justify an lgbt+ alliance. Total lies and I can prove it now.

Thanks to GBnews and LGBA support for gender ideology has taken a nosedive in recent months particularly as more and more people now understand what the specific issues are, as evidenced by many organizations ditching association with Stonewall and various journalist of the ilk of Suzanne Moore adding their support to name just one. But still there are those here who don't watch GBNews, comment on it daily, haven't a clue what the specific issue are, and make up some BS about GBNews fanning the flames of culture wars. Just supporting the Left without a seconds serious thought or investigation and feigning insight and knowledge on the issue when clearly they are clueless. That's devotion for you I suppose.

Nothing the LGBAlliance does benefits gay people. I think in the future they will have to pretend they are not an anti-trans group and focus on some non-anti-trans gay rights work and this may benefit gay people in the future. But their current focus will not help one gay person (unless making transphobic people who are gay feel better is helping them) and will do a lot more harm than good.

As to why they have a specific gay anti-trans group and not a general anti-trans group that's pretty obvious. They can target a marginalised group by pretending they are aiding another marginalised group.

Take a look at mumsnet which is basically the epicentre of anti-trans ideology. The threads on Stock are littered with posts from straight women who always describe Stock as a "lesbian" and not a "woman".

Now Stock being a lesbian herself is not anything she uses herself in her arguments. So why do her straight supporters constantly mention it?

Obviously because they think they can use gay people's sexuality to indemnify them from criticism. It's completely insidious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In other news, Lorraine of all people called out Stock for fact she wasn't actually "cancelled"...

This when Tory government are removing highly thought of academics from boards of cultural institutions because they liked tweets.

Rabble, rablle. Bloody lefties cancelling

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/08/tories-cultural-institutions-war-no-10-museums-decolonisation

• Advertisement

I never claimed you accused him of being a paedo, not outright at least. You need to re-read what I posted. You INSINUATED he was, by comparing him to two people who are. Here it is in as simple a manner as I can put it.

You were sullying his name by comparing him to two people. You claim that those people are famous for hiding behind their charity work for nefarious purposes. While, in reality, they are two of the most infamous sexual predators of our time. Nobody hears those two names and thinks "ah, those names are synonymous with getting rich off the back of charitable works." And I mean nobody, not even yourself thinks that. If you claim otherwise, you're a liar.

You knew what you were doing, you 100% did it on purpose and once you were called on it, you spent weeks trying to weasel your way out of it. The fact the spectator article never surfaced is moot.

I've asked you this type of question before and you ignored it. If someone compared you to both Josef Fritzl AND Ariel Castro, would you think they were calling you a child kidnapper/false imprisoner, or would you think they meant something else?

That question has nothing to do with GB News so I won't answer it. If it were, I would. But it isn't, so I won't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just to get back to the actual Topic.

Let's discuss the "Salient Excerpts" as you put it.

Frangopolous says "this is not a TV station , it's multi-media"

Well , OK - But they aren't doing particularly well on TV or on Digital

TV Numbers are dire and YouTube numbers are mediocre to say the least - YouTube currently showing a 50% decline in Subscriber growth in the last 30 days according to Social Blade.

And for Tiktok - According to Social Blade ,the widely accepted source for social media metrics , they currently have 72k followers , not 170k and have only added 2.5k subscribers in the last 30 days. There are teenage girls pouring milk over their heads that add more subscribers in an afternoon than that..

Farage beat Sky News and BBC News during a single hour on a single Wednesday.

OK , fair enough but what about all the other days and hours??

If Farage did indeed get ~180k for one show on a recent Wednesday then that one single 1hr show accounted for 40% of the total views for the entire week as according to BARB they are currently pulling a total of about 450k over a seven day period. That's beyond appalling for advertising revenues.

Turning Growth numbers into sustainable income is the ultimate goal

Well - Duh! and therein lies their problem , the "growth" isn't great (in fact it's non existent) so the revenue won't be either and depending on the definition of "sustainable" it probably isn't sustainable either.

Just because Frangopolous wants GB News to grow and be profitable (I mean of course he does) does not mean that it will be. ALL of the current trajectories are downwards - Rapidly declining TV Viewing numbers , rapidly declining growth on social media, virtually zero advertising income.

Clearly the CEO (or whatever his title is) wants to be a success , but the current odds are heavily against that being the case.

"Years of Financial Runway"

Aside from the fact that he was hardly going to say "Our financial backers have given us 90 days to break even or they're pulling the plug" or whatever , it means nothing really.

Implying that your bosses are ok with you continuing to lose money for a long time to come isn't really a great message now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Who's Farage talking shìte with tonight?

Will they be

Old?

White?

A has been from days long gone?

A racist/bigot/wife beater?

All of the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yet you were more than happy to use this thread to smear Rashford.

A true "thinking" conservative move indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah I see Farage is toning it down then? Just a foul mouthed bully today to start off the week slowly and building up to the really nasty ones I suppose.

I'd rather trust the word of the GB News boss with a track record on this subject than to a random poster's view on an online forum - who hates the idea of the channel to begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why even bother typing that? It's a discussion forum and anytime someone presents an independent opinion, we're told to fawn over whatever wretch GB News are wheeling out.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But not the boss who ran for the hills despite you claiming repeatedly that Neil would be back :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement